5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Pics

MGRAM57

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with a cover and mopar drop in bed liner? Truck came
with the liner and looking to add a cover, probably hard tri fold. I’ve looked around at a few and was leaning towards BAKFlip MX4 but not sure. Some install videos I’ve watched talk about cutting the liner either for rails or drain hose which I’d like to avoid if possible.

RJS

Reaction score
My 19 Laramie came with a Mopar bed liner. The Tonnopro hard trifold that I had initially was totally waterproof (except the sides of the tailgate, but that's not the covers fault) particularly due to the large rubber gasket that overlapped the front of the bed.
I found over time I wanted a cover that would fold up close to the cab so I sold the Tonnopro and bought an Undercover Armorflex which is still on the truck. I found it leaked slightly due to the rough surface of the bedliner and solved the problem with some black silicone under the liner at the front of the bed. It will peal off if I ever sell the Armorflex tonneau.

Very happy with the Armorflex currently. HTH

kernelhappy

Reaction score
Got my Extang Xceed over the weekend. Initial impressions are good overall. It is a Truck Hero product so really similar to the undercover options. I like the Enduracoat, seals seem to flattening well. Went to car wash today and with me using the wand didn’t have much leaking at all - most could be adjusted out, even that amount would make me feel comfortable with luggage/golf clubs in the back in rain.
Now that you have your xceed for 4 months or so, do you still like it? How is it holding up? Would you switch it for something else?

ST9

Reaction score
Hoping someone to help me lean one way or another. I am looking for hard fold up cover. I like the bakflip idea but I want it to last. My requirements:

- Hard trifold
- Want full bed access without taking out; like the flip idea.
- Strong - snow buildup
- Very small leaks okay - it is more about on trips skiing or road if a storm comes through while driving it saves most of the stuff in the bed
- Scratch resistant
- Can take the sun beating on it; CO gets a lot of sun so it can't start breaking down after 1 or 2 years.
- Low profile
- not too heavy to remove for one person

I think I narrowed down to:

a) Gator FX or FX3 - seems like it is just a bakflip however not sure if I need the FX3 or not. I know it is more durable than FX however if it doesn't last 2 years what is the point.
b) Bakflip G2 or Fibermax - Same as the Gator.
c) Extang Xceed - looks interesting, more costly, however not sure if I trust that cover to not fade but like that it is one seamless cover . I like the twist knobs compared to the rope pull.

Anyone have any ideas? Seems like throwing down almost $1k for these and not lasting very long seems BS.

Thanks

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hoping someone to help me lean one way or another. I am looking for hard fold up cover. I like the bakflip idea but I want it to last. My requirements:

- Hard trifold
- Strong - snow buildup
- Very small leaks okay - it is more about on trips skiing or road if a storm comes through while driving it saves most of the stuff in the bed
- Scratch resistant
- Can take the sun beating on it; CO gets a lot of sun so it can't start breaking down after 1 or 2 years.
- Low profile

a) Gator FX or FX3 - seems like it is just a bakflip however not sure if I need the FX3 or not. I know it is more durable than FX however if it doesn't last 2 years what is the point.
c) Extang Xceed - looks interesting, more costly, however not sure if I trust that cover to not fade but like that it is one seamless cover . I like the twist knobs compared to the rope pull.

Anyone have any ideas? Seems like throwing down almost $1k for these and not lasting very long seems BS.

Thanks
What are the warranties? Extang last I knew was 5 years.

RJS

Reaction score

- Hard trifold
- Strong - snow buildup
- Scratch resistant
- Low profile

Thanks
Pretty much describes my Undercover Armorflex. Here is the available bed with the cover up.

Attachments

• raised armorflex.jpg
    raised armorflex.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 242

RumRam

Reaction score
Last edited:

Reverse

Reaction score
How's this holding up? Getting ready to swap my BAKflip MX4 out due to some issues. Had it for about 3-4 years. Really like the idea about rails above bed instead of on top of cab like I currently use when camping.
My experience with the cover has been a mixed bag, partially because of choices I made, and partly because of material quality.

I recently noticed that the cover was rattling (which it didn't do before), and found that one of the little rollers that support the cover when it rolls along the rail had a seized bearing. This had caused this part of the cover to start rattling. The movement had already caused a lot of material in the rail to be worn away.

1604493682090.png

1604493711765.png

To Retrax's credit, they immediately scheduled a new rail to be sent to me under warranty, so thumbs up there. It still does concern me that the metal they use for the rail is that soft. Especially since this is the same rail that would have to hold the Yakima rack and whatever I carry on it.

As far as choices I made:
I still like the concept of the cover, and the security that comes with it for items stored in the bed. What I hadn't realized is just how big the canister is that holds the rolled up cover. I still like the fact I now have an accessory rail on the bed, but I am not sure trade off of the lost space in the bed is worth it.
On my previous trucks I always had a soft (Access) cover. Not as secure and no rail, but did leave the whole bed available for cargo.

So: a good cover that's mostly waterproof (except at tailgate, like most covers), backed by a good warranty. You have to decide how much space you're willing to give up, and how concerned you are about metal quality for the rail.

RumRam

Reaction score
My experience with the cover has been a mixed bag, partially because of choices I made, and partly because of material quality.

I recently noticed that the cover was rattling (which it didn't do before), and found that one of the little rollers that support the cover when it rolls along the rail had a seized bearing. This had caused this part of the cover to start rattling. The movement had already caused a lot of material in the rail to be worn away.

View attachment 73412

View attachment 73413

To Retrax's credit, they immediately scheduled a new rail to be sent to me under warranty, so thumbs up there. It still does concern me that the metal they use for the rail is that soft. Especially since this is the same rail that would have to hold the Yakima rack and whatever I carry on it.

As far as choices I made:
I still like the concept of the cover, and the security that comes with it for items stored in the bed. What I hadn't realized is just how big the canister is that holds the rolled up cover. I still like the fact I now have an accessory rail on the bed, but I am not sure trade off of the lost space in the bed is worth it.
On my previous trucks I always had a soft (Access) cover. Not as secure and no rail, but did leave the whole bed available for cargo.

So: a good cover that's mostly waterproof (except at tailgate, like most covers), backed by a good warranty. You have to decide how much space you're willing to give up, and how concerned you are about metal quality for the rail.
I never thought about the canister and the space it would take up. That might stop me from pursuing this brand. Guess I’ll keep researching

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Now that you have your xceed for 4 months or so, do you still like it? How is it holding up? Would you switch it for something else?

I do still like it. My rubber seal on the side laid down nicely. It is pretty water tight with some leaking at the corners that could be improved with minor adjustment. I’d put anything in the middle of the bed and not expect a drop of water in even a torrential downpour. Ultimately I do like the ability to flip up the cover against the back window for both hauling and loading purposes.

The only other design I wanted to see was the redesign for the Revolver when it’s released to see if the QI issues were sorted.

ST9

Reaction score
Pretty much describes my Undercover Armorflex. Here is the available bed with the cover up.

Curious, why did you select this one over bakflip mx4? Both have same warranty period but maybe not the same materials. Though the Bak fibermax has the fiberglass polymer which appears tougher but yet it is only 3 year warranty. I definitely like the longer warranty, just hopping the company is around in 5 years. ;-)

RJS

Reaction score
Curious, why did you select this one over bakflip mx4? Both have same warranty period but maybe not the same materials. Though the Bak fibermax has the fiberglass polymer which appears tougher but yet it is only 3 year warranty. I definitely like the longer warranty, just hopping the company is around in 5 years. ;-)
I liked the armorflex coating that looked like it would resist the scratches and small dents I got in a different aluminum hard cover on my 14 Sport (not Bakflip though). I also like the armorflex cover not resting on the cab when raised although my guess is the bakflip could be adjusted that way. The difference in warranty wasn't a big deal and both covers install and appear to be very similiar.
What really sealed the deal was Amazom had one returned to the warehouse at several hundred dollars under their listed price. But in real life, if both were close in price, I'd buy the Armorflex again.

Morenar

Reaction score
I liked the armorflex coating that looked like it would resist the scratches and small dents I got in a different aluminum hard cover on my 14 Sport (not Bakflip though). I also like the armorflex cover not resting on the cab when raised although my guess is the bakflip could be adjusted that way. The difference in warranty wasn't a big deal and both covers install and appear to be very similiar.
What really sealed the deal was Amazom had one returned to the warehouse at several hundred dollars under their listed price. But in real life, if both were close in price, I'd buy the Armorflex again.
My Armorflex should be arriving today. I was able to get a pretty good $$ off ordering directly from realtruck.com who is owned by Truckhero aka Bakflip\Undercover\etc. They matched my local vendors price with free shipping. I saved a few hundred bucks. I hope to make a video of the install as I have not been able to find one for a Ram 1500 with Rambox.
I also went with the Armorflex due to the scratch resistant surface.

neeginan

Reaction score
I got the Tyger T1 Soft Rollup cover. I wasn't worried about the need for a hard cover for security. Honestly, I am shocked at what you get for the price. It was $189 on Amazon. It looks great. It did just fine with Tropical Storm ETA blowing through the last few days.

Warning - It only has two support poles across the bed. Might not fare so well in a heavy snow situation. Maybe someone who has one up north can comment on that. But I love it for my application.
20201109_172329.jpg 20201109_172323.jpg

Last edited:

jgates237

Reaction score
Access Vanish from Anything Auto. Has a nice low profile look and a tight fit. I live in an area that gets quite a bit of snow so we'll see how it performs. I am good about not letting snow accumulate on my Tonneau so we'll see.

Attachments

• Tonneau1.jpg
    Tonneau1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Tonneau2.jpg
    Tonneau2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 143

ST9

Reaction score
I have the same question. Comparing Undercover Armor Flex to Lomax Stance but concerned about attaching something to the roof of the truck.

I didn't see an answer to this question. I too am worried about the Stance and attaching to the roof. The attachments are magnets but has the adhesion as well. Heat/cold and time seems like these will just slip off. Also, if you want to remove how to you pull them up and not ruin the paint?

rnoggle

Reaction score
Installed the Diamondback HD a few days ago. Install is super easy. Fit is perfect and it seems to be watertight.
thumbnail_20201102_154944.jpg thumbnail_20201106_121529.jpg

ddang66224

Reaction score
I didn't see an answer to this question. I too am worried about the Stance and attaching to the roof. The attachments are magnets but has the adhesion as well. Heat/cold and time seems like these will just slip off. Also, if you want to remove how to you pull them up and not ruin the paint?
It's double sided tape. I believe it's the same type they use on other car parts to adhere to the truck, think emblems, body strips etc. I believe the magnets are to ensure the retainer arms from the cover don't just pop off. The tape is more for the mount to the truck itself.

Reaction score
I just ordered my Gator SR1 Pro. Looking forward to installing it. Does anyone know of an install video on a truck with RamBoxes?

Users who are viewing this thread