5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To eTorque or to not eTorgue

Zero_Kool

Reaction score
Okay, I have been browsing this site for a while because I am going to order a 2019 Ram Rebel. Here are my thoughts and would like some opinions. When the Ram Boxes finally became available to order on the Rebel, the only engine option available was the eTorque, which I was not really wanting. After seeing that was my only option at the time, I did read all the eTorque reviews here and actually went and test drove a Longhorn w/etorque to get a feel for the stop/start. It turned out stop/start was much better than expected and convinced myself to go with it. Now, when I went to the dealer to order, the etorque went up from $1995 to $2695, a $700 increase from my last visit. Well, as of today the Rebel is now available again with just the straight Hemi. That being said, I had kind of sold myself on the etorque when that was my only option to place an order, but not sure I am sold enough to spend the now $1500 extra to get it. I do get FFP/PP pricing so the etorque would not be full retail but still runs my cost up over $1300 (fyi, web build is still original price for etorque vs DealerConnect build). My driving will be 30%city/70%hwy.

Bottom Line of what I am thinking:
1. I am not a fan of brand new 1st gen technology that has not been proven over time in real world usage.
2. I know it advertises extra torque but I see its used as more of a stop/start function/addition
3. The straight Hemi w/o etorque is a proven and solid engine after years of service and cant go wrong going with that.

Here is some math (let me know if my math is wrong) to figure cost benefit on fuel for etorque
w/o eTorque - 15,000mi per yr/15mi per gal=1,000gal x $2.50per gal= $2,500 per yr in fuel
w/eTorque - 15,000mi per yr/17mi per gal=882.4gal x $2.50per gal= $2,206 per yr in fuel
Based on that est. it would take 4.8 years to just break even in fuel cost to pay for etorque and that’s IF you always got a consistent 2mpg increase in mileage.

Thoughts/feedback?

The2ndlife

Reaction score
Yeah... I'm feeling the same way... I realized the price went up...but I just ordered eTorque anyways with the perspective of additional rebate this months pays off the eTorque upgrade.

Avid6eek

Reaction score
I've driven both back to back. Like you mentioned, it really only seems to add a stop/start feature. There is no perceived difference in power. Doesn't matter what the EPA numbers say, there will be no improved mileage on the highway unless you regularly use your brakes and then speed back up. I was surprised to find that it was the engine turning off at lights that was the annoying part. Turning back online was seemless.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
You're using a price thats is far less than the current national average however i agree, 3-4 years for payoff probably based on 10% fuel cost savings.

I wouldn't justify decision to go with etorque based on fuel savings. Drive a truck with and without, and pick which one you like better. A few hundred bucks a year means nothing on a $50k purchase. Its more important that you enjoy how it drives/operates.

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score
I agree in respect to upfront cost vs pay back in fuel, it doesn’t make fiscal sense. My current car is a hybrid, there are a couple of other benefits (which probably won’t be as beneficial in a “mild hybrid”) - decreased maintenance costs from longer oil change intervals, less brake maintenance, longer coolant life, etc - but more importantly to me, since the engine is either stopped part of the time OR it’s running more in cylinder deactivation mode, there’s less heat generated. So less wear on the engine oil, engine, radiator, hoses, etc. I know it sounds a stretch, but with my 122,000 miles on a hybrid, I’ve seen this - should give us greater durability and powertrain life. Could very well be different here, since it’s only been out for a couple of years... but this is a benefit not usually discussed or acknowledged. Just my .02.
Like most things in life, your mileage may vary... (heh heh sorry)

Jimmyk

Reaction score
I got one without eTorque. I dont see any huge benefit for my needs and the small savings in fuel doesn't justify the cost for me. I agree that the Hemi is a proven engine and would rather not be testing something new that has no benefit for my use. When they get it up to 30mpg and better performance then they will have my attention.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered it as much to support the technology as anything. Payoff will be a while for me (putting on very low miles).

ponypride

Reaction score
I ordered with Etorque when the price difference was $800. I figured a 2.5 year payback. I am hoping Etorque with the 3.21 ratio will improve gas mileage. 14MPG with 3.92 and regular hemi is a killer in the long run. If the price difference was $1,500, I would have thought twice.

Agitated

Reaction score
So it takes 4.8 years to break even with the improved economy. What about on year 5 and the etorque system/battery needs a repair or replace?

ponypride

Reaction score
Battery is warranted for 100,000 miles. I won't hit that until year #8. Given battery technology advances, I am not worried.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered it when it was an inexpensive option. So I figured I'd take a flyer on it. I do tow a car trailer and figured the additional torque would help getting the truck and trailer rolling. I have been up north with it staying at a house that has a ground asphalt driveway. I spent the first half of the summer driving my F150 King Ranch 3.5l Ecoboost. I pulled in and out of the drive numerous times with it and never disturbed drive. Now pulling in and out with the eTorque I am leaving tire marks from pulling away. I'm far from using a heavy foot and basically driving the same. So whether I can feel it or not, I'm convinced there is some extra bottom end torque compared to the F150 which had some grunt.

imadogman

Reaction score
Okay, I have been browsing this site for a while because I am going to order a 2019 Ram Rebel. Here are my thoughts and would like some opinions. When the Ram Boxes finally became available to order on the Rebel, the only engine option available was the eTorque, which I was not really wanting. After seeing that was my only option at the time, I did read all the eTorque reviews here and actually went and test drove a Longhorn w/etorque to get a feel for the stop/start. It turned out stop/start was much better than expected and convinced myself to go with it. Now, when I went to the dealer to order, the etorque went up from $1995 to $2695, a $700 increase from my last visit. Well, as of today the Rebel is now available again with just the straight Hemi. That being said, I had kind of sold myself on the etorque when that was my only option to place an order, but not sure I am sold enough to spend the now $1500 extra to get it. I do get FFP/PP pricing so the etorque would not be full retail but still runs my cost up over $1300 (fyi, web build is still original price for etorque vs DealerConnect build). My driving will be 30%city/70%hwy.

Bottom Line of what I am thinking:
1. I am not a fan of brand new 1st gen technology that has not been proven over time in real world usage.
2. I know it advertises extra torque but I see its used as more of a stop/start function/addition
3. The straight Hemi w/o etorque is a proven and solid engine after years of service and cant go wrong going with that.

Here is some math (let me know if my math is wrong) to figure cost benefit on fuel for etorque
w/o eTorque - 15,000mi per yr/15mi per gal=1,000gal x $2.50per gal= $2,500 per yr in fuel
w/eTorque - 15,000mi per yr/17mi per gal=882.4gal x $2.50per gal= $2,206 per yr in fuel
Based on that est. it would take 4.8 years to just break even in fuel cost to pay for etorque and that’s IF you always got a consistent 2mpg increase in mileage.

Thoughts/feedback?
Where can you guy this $2.50/gallon gasoline?
In my area, it is more like $3.00/gallon
@15,000 miles per year using your numbers, it is a difference of $354/year
Price difference for etorque vs just the 5.7L hemI is either $800 or $1450 depending on whether it Is a $1995 or $2645 option.
At $1995 it will take 2.3 years to pay back the $800 at $3.00/gal
At $2645 it will take 4.09 years to pay back the $1450 , @$3.00/gal
This does not take into account any additional or reduced maintenance costs.
YMMV

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is also resale to consider. Fully optioned trucks hold more value longer. BUT should eTorque prove a failure, it would hurt the value.

I went without, wasn't available along with RamBoxes and I have no regrets. I think one has to do a lot of math and think hard if it fits their needs.

You could always trade up in a few years if the tech is solid and it becomes mainstream.

imadogman

Reaction score
Considering how much money you lose when you drive a new vehicle off of the lot, trading up in a few years will negate any savings that you will gain with an etorque system. If you plan on trading up anyway, then the point is moot.
I am currently driving a 14year old truck, and when I buy a new one, it may likely be the last truck that I ever buy, so I am very serious about getting what works best for me. Ram Rebel Quad cab with a 6.4L and an all black or gray interior?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was a pretty easy call for me after driving both of them and comparing the cost. I drive about 6,000-8,000 miles per year. So on cost alone, it was going to take a long time to break even. I don't really tow, so the added low end wasn't going to matter much. On top of that, I just didn't like the feel of the regenerative braking at low speeds. Felt like I was stalling or downshifting. So it was a no brainer for me. YMMV

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
It was a pretty easy call for me after driving both of them and comparing the cost. I drive about 6,000-8,000 miles per year. So on cost alone, it was going to take a long time to break even. I don't really tow, so the added low end wasn't going to matter much. On top of that, I just didn't like the feel of the regenerative braking at low speeds. Felt like I was stalling or downshifting. So it was a no brainer for me. YMMV

I am by no means any type of Truck expert, so take this with a grain of salt... Wouldn't regenerative breaking help save on brakes too (in the long run)?

Seems to me like if you have more "engine braking" it's not as much of a strain on brake pads / rotors.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is your reason for not getting the V6 just because of the wait?

I really can't wait to hear about the V6 but I am not sure I could pass on the Hemi to try it out.

I was going to get the V6 but it's not available on the Rebel in Canada. Only Hemi and Hemi ETorque. Maybe a option in 2020 but I already ordered my 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread