5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To eTorque or to not eTorgue

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am by no means any type of Truck expert, so take this with a grain of salt... Wouldn't regenerative breaking help save on brakes too (in the long run)?

Seems to me like if you have more "engine braking" it's not as much of a strain on brake pads / rotors.

Yes, it should. How much? Who knows at this point. It's really not that big of an electric motor. My Ego electric lawn mower has a higher voltage motor on it. The 56 volt battery isn't much bigger than a couple of soda cans side by side.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I was going to get the V6 but it's not available on the Rebel in Canada. Only Hemi and Hemi ETorque. Maybe a option in 2020 but I already ordered my 2019.
Interesting, here in the US the V6 is supposed to be the base motor for all trims.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am by no means any type of Truck expert, so take this with a grain of salt... Wouldn't regenerative breaking help save on brakes too (in the long run)?

Seems to me like if you have more "engine braking" it's not as much of a strain on brake pads / rotors.

Entirely possible. I'm no expert on that either. For the low miles I'm putting on, probably wouldn't matter much for me. But like everything else, you have to like it first.

Ezshooter

JAFO
Reaction score

I think this depends on the hybrid technology. A belt driven battery charger is not going to have the same benefit as a regenerative electric motor that’s part of the actual drivetrain. I have this second technology on my current hybrid - I drive a lot of highway, a lot of miles and not a lot of fast acceleration (with the attendant fast deceleration... ) so I still have 50% of my front disc pads after 122,000 miles. I also am still on my original 12v battery and the original hybrid battery. I just changed my radiator coolant for the first time two months ago.... not because it looked bad (still pink/violet with no rust or particulate in the reservoir) but because it was 5 years old and I couldn’t believe the techs anymore that it was fine. I did change brake fluid a year or two ago, but brake fluid is hygroscopic and it did it’s job - absorbed water until it needed to be changed to protect the brake system. There are significant advantages other than mileage, I’m excited to see how they pan out with the FCA system.

Last edited:

Zero_Kool

Reaction score
Where can you guy this $2.50/gallon gasoline?
In my area, it is more like $3.00/gallon
@15,000 miles per year using your numbers, it is a difference of $354/year
Price difference for etorque vs just the 5.7L hemI is either $800 or $1450 depending on whether it Is a $1995 or $2645 option.
At $1995 it will take 2.3 years to pay back the $800 at $3.00/gal
At $2645 it will take 4.09 years to pay back the $1450 , @$3.00/gal
This does not take into account any additional or reduced maintenance costs.
YMMV
As of last night in Aurora, MO it was as low as $2.46 which is on the higher side of what it has been averaging which is around $2.40.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It was an easy decision for me, as I loathe start/stop and wanted a vehicle without it.

Tmcb

Reaction score
Yes, it should. How much? Who knows at this point. It's really not that big of an electric motor. My Ego electric lawn mower has a higher voltage motor on it. The 56 volt battery isn't much bigger than a couple of soda cans side by side.
I have the etorque. I was not seeing much difference in gas mileage. I will say you can hardly notice the engine auto shut off when stopped. Very smooth. Their is an issue which the electrical system which the service dept fixed and it came back a second time. I do not believe it’s related to the engine

RT70808

Reaction score
As of last night in Aurora, MO it was as low as $2.46 which is on the higher side of what it has been averaging which is around $2.40.
Not a fan of stop/start, I’m still averaging 10.5 mpg at 1,200 miles on the odometer. City traffic sucks. At least gas is cheap. I just filled up with 93 to see if I could tell the difference.
56182127-7715-493C-8BED-651D1F3338F1.jpeg

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
Battery is warranted for 100,000 miles. I won't hit that until year #8. Given battery technology advances, I am not worried.

Where did you get info that that e Torque batter had a 100,000 mile warranty? My dealership said it was 3 yr/36,000 miles.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did you get info that that e Torque batter had a 100,000 mile warranty? My dealership said it was 3 yr/36,000 miles.
Battery warranty doesn't make much of a difference if your truck is down waiting on repairs. Mine will be down 30 days tomorrow waiting on etorque battery repair. I'd rather be driving the truck so I do really care how long its warranted for. It's a problematic design.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The etorque battery is 48 volt battery about the size of a suitcase per my dealership.

Jackham

Reaction score
Somewhere out there is a Ram etorque review where the reviewer rides with a Ram engineer and he goes over I think 6 points of why its great. There is a lot more to it than just mileage increase and a bit of towing power. After that review I wouldn't order without it. So I ordered it.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Your dealership doesn't know what it's talking about. Because the hybrid battery is an inherent part of the exhaust-emission control and EPA fuel mileage ratings, federal law says the manufacturers have to warrant them for much longer than that. It's in the owner's manual someplace, try to find it there.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Your dealership doesn't know what it's talking about. Because the hybrid battery is an inherent part of the exhaust-emission control and EPA fuel mileage ratings, federal law says the manufacturers have to warrant them for much longer than that. It's in the owner's manual someplace, try to find it there.
That is correct. It is part of extended federal emissions like a cat converter. Should be 8 years 80000 mile warranty.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is correct. It is part of extended federal emissions like a cat converter. Should be 8 years 80000 mile warranty.

"berniez" is right. Here is the Ram (Mopar) webpage for downloading the 2019 1500 owner's manual: https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us/care/owners-manual.html?openGarage=true

If you scroll down to "Additional Resources" section on that webpage, there is another link to a separate PDF titled "California Emissions Warranty", click on that, go to page 5 and it says 8 years/80,000 miles for BSG (belt starter/generator). See screenshot pasted below.
emissions-related-warranty_screenshot.jpg

Note that although the title of the PDF is "California Emissions Warranty", it cites the Federal Emissions Warranty, which I assume means every 2019 Ram 1500 sold in all 50 US states has the same 8/80 warranty for eTorque components (BSG and hybrid battery), as well catalytic converter, engine/powertrain control module - basically, anything related to emissions control.

The other place you should search for the exact terms of all warranties on the various systems & components of your truck is the "Warranty Information Booklet", which may or may not be part of the Owner's Manual, or may be a separate booklet.

Note also that many trucks equipped with Uconnect have the owners manual "online" in the vehicle, and warranty info is searchable via the Uconnect interface in the vehicle (as long as the vehicle is not moving):
user-guide-on-Uconnect_screenshot.jpg

user-guide-on-Uconnect_screenshot2of2.jpg

Last edited:

ponypride

Reaction score
I spoke with Ziegler, the company where I purchased the warrenty and that is what they told me.

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
Somewhere out there is a Ram etorque review where the reviewer rides with a Ram engineer and he goes over I think 6 points of why its great. There is a lot more to it than just mileage increase and a bit of towing power. After that review I wouldn't order without it. So I ordered it.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So when the window sticker says "High voltage battery is backed by a 10 year or 100000 mile warranty" that is wrong or does it get superseded somewhere.

Bram2019

Reaction score
So when the window sticker says "High voltage battery is backed by a 10 year or 100000 mile warranty" that is wrong or does it get superseded somewhere.
Curious where you saw that. The windows stickers with E-torque 5.7 or 3.6 motors I have seen do not say that.

Users who are viewing this thread