5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to see what works...

geotex1

Reaction score
Mine does not have tow mirrors and the clip on ones I had for my 4th gen won’t fit. These are adequate but not good enough in my opinion. I’m watching for a clip on set to be released and I’ll order them. Ideally I’d like to find some factory takeoff tow mirrors but that doesn’t seem likely for the price!

If you want an old towers $0.02, invest in rearview camera and monitor setup. Can't be beat for field of view on the road, and your marriage will go longer backing into campsites!

CallMeChris

Reaction score
If you want an old towers $0.02, invest in rearview camera and monitor setup. Can't be beat for field of view on the road, and your marriage will go longer backing into campsites!

That’s on my short list of upgrades for sure.

Pulled the ole handy dandy tape measure out and I don’t know how it happened but the trailer wasn’t level....the nose was down about 2.5” compared to the frame at the axles. That put the rear way up and is what was causing the majority of my road walking on my trip. Got it raised and now we are perfect level from the hitch to the rear with 40 psi in the bags. Took it for a trip down the interstate and it’s much improved but I still have a little walking back and forth as big trucks pass me. Been reading up on that and I believe that is being caused by the mud tires on the truck having tread squirm. I can’t wait to get them replaced for sure now...but that leads me to 2nd guessing the ridge grapplers. They are a killer looking tire but they are a hybrid and I’m concerned that with as aggressive as they are I will get some squirming with them also. Back to the drawing board for tires I think. I know the BFG ko2’s are great but I’m just not a fan of the looks. I’m tossing around Toyo AT’s as well as Falken Wildpeaks now. I definitely want an AT and not a street tire.

Jettix2

Reaction score
This thread is a good read, for sure. I’m considering a 1500 to tow our camper as well. Current 2017 Ram 2500 does have some sway with the trailer at highway speeds, I believe due to the tongue being slightly too high AND the summer tires are 35” Cooper ST Maxx tires which have tons of squirm to them.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like June availablity for the clip on tow mirrors

The Snap & Zap for the 2019 Ram is currently being developed, it might be available by June roughly. The part number will be #80730.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Stupid question time, for some reason I’m having a hard time finding out a for sure answer. The 20” rims on my bighorn....they are 9” wide, correct? Trying to decide exactly how wide of a tire I want to mount on them when I replace the MT’s.

BDC2C43D-2623-4241-8BFB-30E7D025F94C.jpeg

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Finally made a decision, ordered a set of 275/65/20 falken wildpeak AT3W for the truck. I was tore on those or the Nitto Ridge Grapplers....while I prefer the looks of the Nitto it ultimately came down to the falken have a 55k mike warranty and I have a couple friends towing with them on their hd trucks who can’t say enough good about how they perform. I also stayed with the 275/65/20 even though I prefer the look of a wider tire...I didn’t want any sidewall squirm while towing because of putting a wider tire on a narrower rim. If I wasn’t pushing the limits of towing with a half to. I would have went with 295/60/20 ridge grapplers.

I also ordered a Furrion FOS07TASF backup camera setup and splurged on the wireless sidemarker cameras also so I will have a view behind and down both sides of the camper while towing. Should work out better than the clip on towing mirrors I had on my 4th gen.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally made a decision, ordered a set of 275/65/20 falken wildpeak AT3W for the truck. I was tore on those or the Nitto Ridge Grapplers....while I prefer the looks of the Nitto it ultimately came down to the falken have a 55k mike warranty and I have a couple friends towing with them on their hd trucks who can’t say enough good about how they perform. I also stayed with the 275/65/20 even though I prefer the look of a wider tire...I didn’t want any sidewall squirm while towing because of putting a wider tire on a narrower rim. If I wasn’t pushing the limits of towing with a half to. I would have went with 295/60/20 ridge grapplers.

I also ordered a Furrion FOS07TASF backup camera setup and splurged on the wireless sidemarker cameras also so I will have a view behind and down both sides of the camper while towing. Should work out better than the clip on towing mirrors I had on my 4th gen.

Would love it if you would keep me updated. I have been contemplating bigger tires also. Want a little beefier that street tires. Kinda AT tires but don't want my Limited to look like a Rebel. I will also be towing a larger travel trailer and agree with what you're saying. Would love to see what they look like on and how they feel.

And I'm really interested now in your side view cameras. It does think that no one's made slip on trailer mirrors for the Ram yet let me know what you ordered and I'll take a look at it and see if it would work for me. Assuming you need a relay transmitter and is it a separate device screen you're going to have in the cab or are you going to try to connect it into the uConnect

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Would love it if you would keep me updated. I have been contemplating bigger tires also. Want a little beefier that street tires. Kinda AT tires but don't want my Limited to look like a Rebel. I will also be towing a larger travel trailer and agree with what you're saying. Would love to see what they look like on and how they feel.

And I'm really interested now in your side view cameras. It does think that no one's made slip on trailer mirrors for the Ram yet let me know what you ordered and I'll take a look at it and see if it would work for me. Assuming you need a relay transmitter and is it a separate device screen you're going to have in the cab or are you going to try to connect it into the uConnect

I ordered the Furrion backup camera with 7” display that is capable of showing 4 cameras at once so you can zoom in on the backup or watch the backup and side cameras at the same time. Here is a video link and a screenshot I took of all 3 being viewed. Just click on any image to zoom in and go full screen with that camera.

8FB064CD-BF79-4E1D-B706-4625C896D163.jpeg

I bought them off of Amazon...

Furrion FOS07TASF Vision S Wireless Vehicle Observation System with 7-inch Monitor and Rear Sharkfin Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ268GT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pHILCbG358MVK

Furrion FCE48TASL Vision S Wireless Vehicle Observation Right and Left Side Marker Light Cameras - 2 Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9PBXFX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3MILCbP3TN9T9

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered the Furrion backup camera with 7” display that is capable of showing 4 cameras at once so you can zoom in on the backup or watch the backup and side cameras at the same time. Here is a video link and a screenshot I took of all 3 being viewed. Just click on any image to zoom in and go full screen with that camera.

View attachment 19968

I bought them off of Amazon...

Furrion FOS07TASF Vision S Wireless Vehicle Observation System with 7-inch Monitor and Rear Sharkfin Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ268GT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pHILCbG358MVK

Furrion FCE48TASL Vision S Wireless Vehicle Observation Right and Left Side Marker Light Cameras - 2 Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9PBXFX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3MILCbP3TN9T9
do you have any pictures of the tires on the truck? Also I thought you purchased the camera for putting on the trailer. My unlimited already has the on truck cameras I was thinking you did it as cameras running along the side of the trailer and it was curious how they looked In place of towing mirrors. But would still love to see pictures of the tires on your truck. Do you have it lifted or regular suspension

CallMeChris

Reaction score
do you have any pictures of the tires on the truck? Also I thought you purchased the camera for putting on the trailer. My unlimited already has the on truck cameras I was thinking you did it as cameras running along the side of the trailer and it was curious how they looked In place of towing mirrors. But would still love to see pictures of the tires on your truck. Do you have it lifted or regular suspension

The cameras are to install on the trailer, I also have the factory backup camera on the truck. Watch the video link and it will explain where they go and how to use them.

The tires will be installed Monday...I have an RC leveling kit installed. There are pictures in this thread of my truck with the level and the same size tires in a Destination MT2 tire. I’m replacing them with the AT3W all terrains.

jeffmc306

Reaction score
Really interested in how you like the Falken tires for towing. I’ve got a Laramie Sport with the Off Road package - comes with the Ram spec’d version of the AT3W’s. We’ve got a 27’ Airstream Globetrotter on order due next month.

I noticed the Ram OEM versions do not carry the snowflake designation like the Falken’s. Ram worked with Falken to come up a spec that met their off-road package requirements; just don’t know what that is!

Let us know how yours work out and happy camping!

7B4A2CB3-34BE-4FAF-8944-63BDA4C5A32E.jpeg

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Really interested in how you like the Falken tires for towing. I’ve got a Laramie Sport with the Off Road package - comes with the Ram spec’d version of the AT3W’s. We’ve got a 27’ Airstream Globetrotter on order due next month.

I noticed the Ram OEM versions do not carry the snowflake designation like the Falken’s. Ram worked with Falken to come up a spec that met their off-road package requirements; just don’t know what that is!

Let us know how yours work out and happy camping!

View attachment 20191

I definitely will. They get installed Monday and I’m using them towing for the first time in a couple weeks...I’ll report my findings. These are load range E that I’m putting on so definitely different than what ram has been putting on.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Firestone Destination MT2’s are off and 275/65/20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W are on.

Initial impressions....the tires look smaller but have no road noise and ride wonderfully. Can’t wait to see if it makes a difference while towing.

2A382E0E-D510-4C41-82DB-BF5D7F77B393.jpeg
B1521086-1CF8-44CE-ABDA-BCC36B278730.jpeg

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Firestone Destination MT2’s are off and 275/65/20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W are on.

Initial impressions....the tires look smaller but have no road noise and ride wonderfully. Can’t wait to see if it makes a difference while towing.

View attachment 20276
View attachment 20277
@CallMeChris

They look good. Those are what I am seriously thinking about changing to. I asked my dealer if they would put them on if I purchased them and had them shipped to the dealer, they said sure, you just need to pay us to do the labor. Wow! Thanks for the deal NOT!

I am thinking about them for towing as well, as I will be towing a 7200 lb trailer dry and then airing down truck tires to 14-20 PSI to tow it onto the beach through the soft sand and wat thinking they would be better for the trailer load on the highway and tread good on the beach. They are E rated, Right?

What made you leave your other tires. They looked substantial. Were they just road P rated tires?

You say they look smaller? Do you mean the sidewall? They are 65's so larger than the OEM's on my Limited. How do they fit? You have a lift?

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Yes, both are load range E and both are 275/65/20 but the AT’s just look smaller than the MT’s. Just the nature of the beast. I swapped them out because the MT were a temporary tire until my tire guy could get the AT’s in. I never wanted a mud grip on this truck...but it did look good with them. Lol

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, both are load range E and both are 275/65/20 but the AT’s just look smaller than the MT’s. Just the nature of the beast. I swapped them out because the MT were a temporary tire until my tire guy could get the AT’s in. I never wanted a mud grip on this truck...but it did look good with them. Lol
Gotcha. You went from stick tires to the Wildpeaks. I am looking to don't he same. I see there are 2 versions of the same Wildpeak tires. One is like a 113 and the other a 126 of something like that. Any idea what their differences are?

Last edited:

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I went from stock tires to the destination MT’s to the wildpeaks.

I have no clue what the difference is that you are talking about. These are the specs for the set I got.

25E402DD-EA11-4099-BCC1-5693D1DFED1E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread