5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to see what works...

djeazie

Reaction score
What pressure did you end up running in your Timbergroves?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CallMeChris

Reaction score
What pressure did you end up running in your Timbergroves?

I had 40 in them when I set them up this last time. Started with 35 when I installed them but bumped it up a hair to get the truck a little more level.

I’ll be pulling the camper down to Mississippi River state park Friday morning, I’m excited to see how the new tires do and with the 40psi in the bags compared to 35psi and the mud terrains.

djeazie

Reaction score
I had 40 in them when I set them up this last time. Started with 35 when I installed them but bumped it up a hair to get the truck a little more level.

I’ll be pulling the camper down to Mississippi River state park Friday morning, I’m excited to see how the new tires do and with the 40psi in the bags compared to 35psi and the mud terrains.
Cool. Let me know. I also added LT tires (KO2's) and Timbergroves that I have to install yet. Just looking for a starting point once I do go to set up my WDH. Keep us posted if you would!

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Finally got it all dialed in and I’m 110% happy with how it pulls. I found that when they installed the weight distribution hitch on the trailer one of the arms mounted to the trailer was an entire bolt hole difference so one sway arm had a good inch more height over the other one. I adjusted them the same. Put 65 psi in my new Wildpeaks, and 35 psi in the timber grove bags.

Zero sway, almost unnoticeable drag when an 18 wheeler passes me, and tracks straight down my lane. It’s pulling as well as my small Jayco Hybrid did now and I wouldn’t be worried to pull it cross country if needed. I’ll mark this one down in the win column!

They are calling for storms on my way home Sunday so we will see how it performs in the wind and rain then. I’ll report back.

djeazie

Reaction score
Finally got it all dialed in and I’m 110% happy with how it pulls. I found that when they installed the weight distribution hitch on the trailer one of the arms mounted to the trailer was an entire bolt hole difference so one sway arm had a good inch more height over the other one. I adjusted them the same. Put 65 psi in my new Wildpeaks, and 35 psi in the timber grove bags.

Zero sway, almost unnoticeable drag when an 18 wheeler passes me, and tracks straight down my lane. It’s pulling as well as my small Jayco Hybrid did now and I wouldn’t be worried to pull it cross country if needed. I’ll mark this one down in the win column!

They are calling for storms on my way home Sunday so we will see how it performs in the wind and rain then. I’ll report back.
Good catch on your WDH. I can only hope I can get my setup as good as yours. Thanks for the report and safe travels!

Rod150

Reaction score
In case you didnt notice there is a huge tow mirror debacle. (Seethe many threads if you haven't)

One of the comparison tests rated the standard mirrors just fine for towing.

The tow mirrors will offer better views for towing...although I have no experience with the new standard mirrors...the people who have have said they are sufficient.

I would think you would be ok without the extension mirrors.

Hoping someone with knowledge of their ability will chime in.

I really like the tow mirrors on my 4th Gen HD...but the 5th Gen 1500 really loses stuff with them.

Good luck with your decision.
I have driven trucks all my life by side mirrors only. Bought 5th generation dodge in December, just now getting used to them (tow mirrors).

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been towing my enclosed car trailer with the standard mirrors. Would I like true tow mirrors for towing? Yes. But I'm getting by with the standard mirrors. I'm able to see adjoining lanes but I can't see the sides of the trailer or tires. I just need to be careful when passing someone and then moving back over. Once someone comes out with a decent clip on mirror I'll get them.
If I was towing an open car trailer or boat it would be a non-issue with the standard mirrors.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I’d just like to point out that the Furrion rear view camera I got is a life changer. I’ll never want to pull another camper without it. Makes lane changes and driving in traffic a whole lot less stressful. I have no need for the wider towing mirrors now.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you all have not the 360 camera option? The cameras detect the trailer and its length for lane departure.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I do not have it...mine is a lowly bighorn without an iPad in the dash.

Drewsky510

Reaction score
I do not have it...mine is a lowly bighorn without an iPad in the dash.
Just curious how you are liking your set-up after 10 months? Do you think the E tires were worth it, over an XL rated tire? Did you see a noticeable drop in mpg?

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Wow, been a while since I’ve posted in here, sorry for the delay. I’m very happy with the 10 ply tires, and the ride isn’t much worse for the wear, it feels more solid like a truck should if anything.

I recently swapped my trailer tires with a set of Goodyear endurance and again, I immediately noticed another change for the better. I’ve read about them for years but never made the plunge...well worth the money spent. The sidewalls are noticeably thicker and more substantial. Trailer pulls better than ever down the interstate.

My pedal commander has went out twice now though. I sent it in for warranty work the first time and this go round they are replacing it with a new one. Guess I’ll put up a local craigslist add and see if anyone is interested in buying it.

That brings me to the next point. Just made a deal with my dealership, time to step up to a 2500. I’d like to get a small 5th wheel for me and the wife when the kids graduate in a couple years so thought I would start by getting a little more truck now. New truck should be delivered Friday. 2020 2500 Laramie with the 6.4 hemi. I have always had diesel heavy duty trucks in the past but with this being a daily driver and only towing a few times a year I thought I would give the gas block a whirl.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I’ve asked lots of questions and gotten even more answers on here, thank you all for helping me to spend all my money! So after asking these questions I ended up at the camper dealership today and traded in my 2013 23’ Jayco Hybrid camper that had an advertised dry weight of 3925 pounds and a tongue weight of 610 pounds. The new camper is a 2018 Fun Finder 27BH that measures 27’ for the house, 32’ bumper to hitch, has a dry weight of 6,640, and a hitch weight of 660 pounds. I realize these are advertised numbers so they are realistically higher. The Jayco pulled like a dream, not really even knowing it was back there, I don’t expect the same of the new trailer. So I have lots of mods planned for the truck to see what actually helps and what is a waste of money.

The base line today when I picked the camper up is the stock 2019 Bighorn in my signature below. I aired the stock Bridgestone tires up to 44 psi and the only thing added is an E2 weight distribution hitch with sway control. It is rated for 1k hitch weight and 10k total weight. It looks very similar to the equalizer brand I’ve seen people talking about. Here is what I am using...

View attachment 17347

Here is the truck hooked up ready to head home. Sits mostly level like it is.

View attachment 17348

Impressions like this....the truck did better than expected but not as good as I had hoped. This is a lot of trailer for a half ton and that’s why I’ve already started ordering my upgrades. It pulled it just fine, it stopped it just fine, but there was still a noticeable tug when getting passed or passing big trucks where I could feel myself being pulled towards them and then blown away. There was a very slight sway on occasion, but nothing out of line. All in all, I’m impressed with it in stock form.

My next set of upgrades are Timber Grove ASAM bags and a pedal commander. The bags were delivered this afternoon and will be installed tomorrow, and the Pedal Commander should be here tomorrow. I will be pulling the trailer a few hours away on Saturday for a quick overnight trip so I will post back up this weekend and let you know what kind of difference the bags made with firming things up.

Next week I am getting a leveling kit and a set of either 275/65/20 or 295/60/20 load range E Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed. I know the LT tires will be hands down the best upgrade I can make for towing a trailer this size and I wish I could do it before this weekend but it’s just not in the cards.

Anyways, that’s my trailer towing saga so far. Hopefully my trial and error can help someone else along the line.
Opinions on the fun finder trailer? Looking at purchasing a first trailer for the family. Looking at the 23bhs or 27bhs, but 23 would probably be better weight wise I’d imagine.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Opinions on the fun finder trailer? Looking at purchasing a first trailer for the family. Looking at the 23bhs or 27bhs, but 23 would probably be better weight wise I’d imagine.

absolutely love it. Love the floor plan, love the outdoor kitchen, love the king size master bed...the only issue we have had are a couple small pieces of trim coming loose that I had to reattach. That happens with all campers nowadays though building them so light duty so they can be pulled by half tons.

Users who are viewing this thread