5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to see what works...

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I’ve asked lots of questions and gotten even more answers on here, thank you all for helping me to spend all my money! So after asking these questions I ended up at the camper dealership today and traded in my 2013 23’ Jayco Hybrid camper that had an advertised dry weight of 3925 pounds and a tongue weight of 610 pounds. The new camper is a 2018 Fun Finder 27BH that measures 27’ for the house, 32’ bumper to hitch, has a dry weight of 6,640, and a hitch weight of 660 pounds. I realize these are advertised numbers so they are realistically higher. The Jayco pulled like a dream, not really even knowing it was back there, I don’t expect the same of the new trailer. So I have lots of mods planned for the truck to see what actually helps and what is a waste of money.

The base line today when I picked the camper up is the stock 2019 Bighorn in my signature below. I aired the stock Bridgestone tires up to 44 psi and the only thing added is an E2 weight distribution hitch with sway control. It is rated for 1k hitch weight and 10k total weight. It looks very similar to the equalizer brand I’ve seen people talking about. Here is what I am using...

6CF2DF3E-6B98-4CBA-AA98-BA0C0CC97532.png

Here is the truck hooked up ready to head home. Sits mostly level like it is.

2439A153-3EFF-44FD-A903-EC34FC58B097.jpeg

Impressions like this....the truck did better than expected but not as good as I had hoped. This is a lot of trailer for a half ton and that’s why I’ve already started ordering my upgrades. It pulled it just fine, it stopped it just fine, but there was still a noticeable tug when getting passed or passing big trucks where I could feel myself being pulled towards them and then blown away. There was a very slight sway on occasion, but nothing out of line. All in all, I’m impressed with it in stock form.

My next set of upgrades are Timber Grove ASAM bags and a pedal commander. The bags were delivered this afternoon and will be installed tomorrow, and the Pedal Commander should be here tomorrow. I will be pulling the trailer a few hours away on Saturday for a quick overnight trip so I will post back up this weekend and let you know what kind of difference the bags made with firming things up.

Next week I am getting a leveling kit and a set of either 275/65/20 or 295/60/20 load range E Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed. I know the LT tires will be hands down the best upgrade I can make for towing a trailer this size and I wish I could do it before this weekend but it’s just not in the cards.

Anyways, that’s my trailer towing saga so far. Hopefully my trial and error can help someone else along the line.

Last edited:

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I have a travel trailer that weighs aprox 6300 pounds ready for use. There is always water in the black tank, and I fill the drinking water up, 52 gallons. Bumper to bumper it's 30 feet. I first pulled this trailer without an equalizer hitch or add ons to the suspension. I first used a 2014 ram quad cab, 4x4, express. I did not like the way towing felt stock. I then added some timbren SES to replace the stock rear end rubber suspension stops. I also bought a husky centerline weight distribution hitch with anti sway. A world of difference. I did have to make some adjustments on the hitch to get a level truck and travel trailer. But once I got it adjusted everything was massively improved. So when i got my 2019, I bought the Timbrens for it. Without the timbrens suspension help, my truck had a severe squat, the same as my 2014 stock. I do recommend you add some suspension help. The weight distribution hitch is a good first step. I used to tow horse trailers with 1 ton trucks that do not move much when weight was added.Great for towing, not so much for driving with out a load. The thing I like about the timbren suspension add ons, is the fact that it does not affect normal everyday driving because the pads do not get in the way until a load is added. The only thing I have not done is added E rated tires. I was going to use the tires and wheels from my 2014, but the wheels are a new bolt pattern and my truck came with 18 in wheels. These wheels were on the truck when I bought it. So I have to save up to buy some 20 inch wheels so I can upgrade my tires. Keep us updated on the modifications to come. I dont have a picture of my 2019 yet. Safe travels. Ramntrailer.jpg

Last edited:

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Timber Grove air bags are on, just checking for air leaks now....temporary 4” lift engaged.

96C384A3-F1DC-42F9-BA41-B1550A5F7FFC.jpeg

84348045-D102-4BAC-8E6C-D6CF41DF7461.jpeg

Install was a breeze. Took a little over 2 hours with breaks. Worst part was laying on my cold garage floor since my creeper is broken. Everything seems quality and my only complaint is my kit did not have the caps over the airlines to keep trash out while routing them and it was missing zip ties to tie everything together. If that’s all I have to complain about, life is good.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and i were just talking last night about wanting to camp this weekend, but we can't make a long trip and none of the close campsites are open yet(come on 12APRIL).

Your setup looks great...keep, keeping us posted. Hope the mods help and you can really enjoy that new camper

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Woohoo, new parts!

1BC008BD-00A7-4205-919F-5DEF51C97401.jpeg

Just installed the pedal commander and set it to sort +3. First thoughts.....HOLY $!?@! My wife was in the passenger seat and said “I wasn’t expecting that!” Hahaha.

Turned to city +3 and cruising around town. I really enjoy the peppier throttle response. Mark this one down to the win column.

And as a side note with 6 or 8 pounds in the air bags I don’t even notice them being there.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll definitely be following this post and chiming in when I get my 2019 Limited. I just ordered it on Saturday and I'm upgrading from a 2013 Avalanche black diamond with airbags and a weight distribution hitch from equalizer. I pull a 31-foot travel trailer that weighs in at 6800 lb empty. Definitely had a bit of sag in the Avalanche and she would sway above 55 miles an hour. I wouldn't even have to look at the speedometer I could tell when I hit 55. Expecting the limited with the V8 he torque and 3.92 rear axle to be able to pull much better. It certainly is the higher end of the 1500 without having to jump up to a 3/4 ton pickup. I'll let you guys know how it works out would love to hear your experiences in the meantime. Take a look at pic. You can see how the trailer was certainly the tail wagging the dog.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Woohoo, new parts!

View attachment 17452

Just installed the pedal commander and set it to sort +3. First thoughts.....HOLY $!?@! My wife was in the passenger seat and said “I wasn’t expecting that!” Hahaha.

Turned to city +3 and cruising around town. I really enjoy the peppier throttle response. Mark this one down to the win column.

And as a side note with 6 or 8 pounds in the air bags I don’t even notice them being there.
What is a pedal commander? And what does it do?

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plugs into the gas pedal and removes the lag giving it a much peppier response.

https://www.pedalcommander.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

so I watched a few videos of it on YouTube. Seems it makes it get on the throttle a little bit quicker but how will that help you in towing a camper? Not looking to drag race or hit 0 to 60 1 second quicker. Let me know how you found this helpful.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
It might not help with the camper but it will be better everywhere else! Hahaha

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True. I researching it I see a lot of people talking about a throttle lag. Did you notice that? They also said they to disconnect the neg battery terminal for 15 minutes to reset the throttle. Many have said that makes a big difference. And that's free! Lol

CallMeChris

Reaction score
It had a slight lag since it was new, just a mushy spot before taking off. That’s gone now and it’s adjustable to set desired feeling. I’m still playing with it to find what’s best for me.

2wd

Reaction score
That truck and trailer look like a fantastic pair. Did you happen to measure the rear end squat before the air bags?

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I did not, but my plan is to hook the trailer up before I air up the bags so I will get the measurement for you tomorrow.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I'll definitely be following this post and chiming in when I get my 2019 Limited. I just ordered it on Saturday and I'm upgrading from a 2013 Avalanche black diamond with airbags and a weight distribution hitch from equalizer. I pull a 31-foot travel trailer that weighs in at 6800 lb empty. Definitely had a bit of sag in the Avalanche and she would sway above 55 miles an hour. I wouldn't even have to look at the speedometer I could tell when I hit 55. Expecting the limited with the V8 he torque and 3.92 rear axle to be able to pull much better. It certainly is the higher end of the 1500 without having to jump up to a 3/4 ton pickup. I'll let you guys know how it works out would love to hear your experiences in the meantime. Take a look at pic. You can see how the trailer was certainly the tail wagging the dog.

You will love the truck, it will hands down perform better than the avalanche. I had one with the factory towing package with self leveling air bags and all the works. It sucked....I finally gave up towing anything with it and switched to a ram years ago. with that being said, check your door sticker for weight ratings. The nicer these trucks get, the less payload they can have since all the ads ones eat into it. This is my sticker on my bighorn...the limited will probably be less.

1AEFB135-2BE3-480E-A824-FAAAD3E5E996.jpeg

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks OP & everyone for the insight and info. I’ll be towing a camper in the future and great info to have. Much appreciated from myself and others here looking to do the same(y)

geotex1

Reaction score
It looks very similar to the equalizer brand I’ve seen people talking about.

Ok, Equal-i-zer and Fastway are two brands of Progress Manufacturing. Progress is a great company. There's distinct differences between the brands with Equal-i-zer the flagship. I had the same Equal-i-zer on 3 campers as they're bulletproof. You would be happier with the Equal-i-zer over the e2 with your combination. It is why you had some sway.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Ok, Equal-i-zer and Fastway are two brands of Progress Manufacturing. Progress is a great company. There's distinct differences between the brands with Equal-i-zer the flagship. I had the same Equal-i-zer on 3 campers as they're bulletproof. You would be happier with the Equal-i-zer over the e2 with your combination. It is why you had some sway.

Is the equalizer really that much better?

geotex1

Reaction score
Is the equalizer really that much better?
The e2 was so named for 2-point sway control (2 points of friction). The Equal-i-zer offers 4-point. It also has spring bars with constant cross-section, which means greater stiffness. When properly set-up, the tow vehicle and trailer are practically unified.

It is my favorite hitch of the myriad I've had over many trailers of various designs, sizes and uses. The engineer in me loves the simplicity as well.

Users who are viewing this thread