5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to see what works...

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will love the truck, it will hands down perform better than the avalanche. I had one with the factory towing package with self leveling air bags and all the works. It sucked....I finally gave up towing anything with it and switched to a ram years ago. with that being said, check your door sticker for weight ratings. The nicer these trucks get, the less payload they can have since all the ads ones eat into it. This is my sticker on my bighorn...the limited will probably be less.

View attachment 17471
Ya, I am aware of that. Luckily I tow either family with no cargo in the bed or just me, and generators, paddleboards, firewood in the bed. Never both together.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Change of plans, I won’t be able to see how it tows with airbags but before tires. My guy was able to squeeze me in today so I got the leveling kit and a set of 275/65/20 Firestone Destination MT2’s. He can’t get the Nitto’s for a few weeks so he told me he would take these in on trade when they got here. Firestone apparently has a 90 day buy and try. Exchange them for a full refund if you aren’t happy for any reason. This gets me into a load range E for towing this weekend. Win win!

Tires at factory height...

1F7D246C-C250-41FD-8C9D-3CC62E95DAB2.jpeg

Tires with 2” RC leveling kit...

C6CB46AA-DC9F-46D5-909E-D3D6BA2061F4.jpeg

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. What are the stock tires rated at? I'm going to need to do the same thing when I get mine. I wish I could just trade in the stock ones. They won't be doing me any good if I go higher.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Stock ones are P rated and ride too soft and spongy for my taste.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those tires look pretty nice also. How much did they run you? And why would you not be interested in keeping them?

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Those tires look pretty nice also. How much did they run you? And why would you not be interested in keeping them?

I know the manager and he cut me a deal....out the door was under $1,100. I wasn’t wanting to go with an MT, I was wanting the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I’ll try these out and see how they do though. So far they aren’t very loud for an MT, lets see how they do pulling the camper tomorrow.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Ok, been riding around all afternoon on the new tires. I’ve ran lots of mud terrains in my time, I’ve off roaded jeeps for most of my life. These are easily the quietest and smoothest mt’s I’ve owned. I am not telling you they are quiet....I’m saying they are quiet for an mt. Lol As of now I still plan on swapping them in for the Ridge Grapplers when they arrive.

I was also worried what an E rated tire would do to the ride. I am not disappointed. Before, the truck felt very soft and spongy in turns. Now, it’s firm and direct but not jarring. I love the change...feels more like how a truck should feel and less like an old school Cadillac floating down the road.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Got 35psi in the bags and the hitch adjusted for the bigger tires. Everything sits level with the front of the camper being about 3/4” low according to measuring the frame. Let’s see how this combo does.

36C582D3-18BC-4FE0-8352-88CA519C15CC.jpeg

085E68B1-3244-4F19-AC62-F36793461C7F.jpeg

487430B6-CF0D-41DB-99D8-F65EBD369136.jpeg

CallMeChris

Reaction score
3 hours later and we have arrived. Interstate the whole way doing 65mph with a 10 mph crosswind. I couldn’t be happier, the truck did amazing. I plan on playing with the airbag psi and maybe the hitch angle a bit but even if it doesn’t improve I’d be happy pulling it like this wherever.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Headed home and the wind is howling. Blowing 15-25 according to the news....and it sucks! Hahaha. No wagging the dog sway to mention but it’s for sure blowing me all over the road. I’ve slowed down to 60 but all in all, a miserable trip.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Headed home and the wind is howling. Blowing 15-25 according to the news....and it sucks! Hahaha. No wagging the dog sway to mention but it’s for sure blowing me all over the road. I’ve slowed down to 60 but all in all, a miserable trip.
So what exactly are you saying? Does it suck is it blowing you all over the road or is there no sway to mention? You said both so we're kind of confused. I'm sure there's plenty of power it's a matter of the size and weight of the trailer wagging the truck. Which is the main thing I'm questioning with my setup. 5.7 eTorque, 3.92, air suspension Equalizer 2 WD hitch, 31' trailer 7000lbs. Pulling 10-11K loaded trailer, passengers and cargo. How's it feel?

CallMeChris

Reaction score
The truck handles it but I wouldn’t try it if the wind picked up anymore. There is lots of being blown around by the wind, I’m talking about there isn’t any uncontrollable wag the dog sway that causes you to lose control. There was quite a bit of the wind blowing me around in the lane but I wasn’t the only one, I saw the big trucks getting blown around also. Just made it home by the way.

Also, I ended up airing my tires up to 60 psi(they were 45) and the air bags to 45 before leaving the campground this morning. I made it 1 exit away before pulling over and dropping the air bags back to 35. I set the hitch up like that and I believe the extra air unloaded the sway bars. I plan on adjusting the hitch again with 45 in the bags to try that out at a later date.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great info. Thanks. You're doing exactly what I will be doing in June. curious to know how you set your hitch up with the suspension? What did you are it up to when you connected and put the weight distribution bars on. I have the four corner suspension with the different levels I rather than manual it says to go to normal level I would have thought that you would aired up to off-road one or two being the higher suspensions but I guess that may get it out of level. let me know what your technique is. I'm assuming you just use airbags and not the different suspension levels in the factory air bags

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I do not have factory air ride, only the timber grove bags. I want the truck to ride level when hooked up especially with the leveling kit up front I started by leveling the camper frame front to back and got it even and then Measured the top of the tongue on the trailer where the ball sits. Got the top of my hitch ball set to that height with 35psi in the air bags since I figured that would be a good psi to start with. Now when I hook up the weight distribution part it sits level. I will have to adjust the ball when I add more air.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tow Mirror Extensions?? Have any of your found any good tow mirror extensions? There still seems to be nothing available in the slip-on tow mirror extensions. Did you tow with just the regular mirrors? They do not look like you have the stock tow mirrors?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tow Mirror Extensions?? Have any of your found any good tow mirror extensions? There still seems to be nothing available in the slip-on tow mirror extensions. Did you tow with just the regular mirrors? They do not look like you have the stock tow mirrors?
The new standard mirrors (which he has) are much larger with a better blindspot mirror...another reason I think the tow mirrors were(should have gone) gonna go away on the 1500.

Very impressed by your experience towing with your truck @CallMeChris

Seems like you planned for the purchase of your truck and camper and it is going to work just fine for you.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new standard mirrors (which he has) are much larger with a better blindspot mirror...another reason I think the tow mirrors were(should have gone) gonna go away on the 1500.

Very impressed by your experience towing with your truck @CallMeChris

Seems like you planned for the purchase of your truck and camper and it is going to work just fine for you.

Nice, so if I am understanding you correctly, you all tow using just the standard stock mirrors and they work fine. The blindspot mirror helps or is sufficient? If they regular mirrors are enough, that's great!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In case you didnt notice there is a huge tow mirror debacle. (Seethe many threads if you haven't)

One of the comparison tests rated the standard mirrors just fine for towing.

The tow mirrors will offer better views for towing...although I have no experience with the new standard mirrors...the people who have have said they are sufficient.

I would think you would be ok without the extension mirrors.

Hoping someone with knowledge of their ability will chime in.

I really like the tow mirrors on my 4th Gen HD...but the 5th Gen 1500 really loses stuff with them.

Good luck with your decision.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
Mine does not have tow mirrors and the clip on ones I had for my 4th gen won’t fit. These are adequate but not good enough in my opinion. I’m watching for a clip on set to be released and I’ll order them. Ideally I’d like to find some factory takeoff tow mirrors but that doesn’t seem likely for the price!

Users who are viewing this thread