5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle controllers...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered a Banks Pedal Monster. I'll report my opinion once installed.
Nice! You beat me to it! Looking forward to the update! I'm now between the Pedal Monster and the DigiPower Speed. Leaning more towards the Monster still.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! You beat me to it! Looking forward to the update! I'm now between the Pedal Monster and the DigiPower Speed. Leaning more towards the Monster still.

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread (I did read it, have been following it for a while), but does Banks support the 2019+ Ram 1500s with the 5.7?
Under the Pedal Monster's page and support pages, for the 2019/2020 1500s, all I see is support for the 3.0L diesel.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread (I did read it, have been following it for a while), but does Banks support the 2019+ Ram 1500s with the 5.7?
Under the Pedal Monster's page and support pages, for the 2019/2020 1500s, all I see is support for the 3.0L diesel.
Yes! I saw the 3.0 option too...but I had to figure out how to navigate to the Hemi option....click on fitment and select 5.7 under either 2019 or 2020 section..

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Interesting info. I want something that functions without any downside. Lots to think about. What happens when you need to take the truck to the dealer for issues or service? Do we have to remove all trace?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting info. I want something that functions without any downside. Lots to think about. What happens when you need to take the truck to the dealer for issues or service? Do we have to remove all trace?
Doubtful...the throttle controller doesn't alter the ECU or the air/fuel mapping. Of course...depending on the issue; you shouldn't have to remove it at all. I saw that video too lol

ny2az

Reaction score
l have the Vitesse unit ... it has worked flawless for me to date ... l am completely happy with it ... but, have to give credit where credit is due ... after seeing a few video's on the Bank's Pedal Monster ... this unit is really a good smart unit ...most important feature's everyone should consider with these units is the failsafe mode. where should the unit malfunction, you dont lose the pedal and it will revert to stock function as well as being powered by the OBD port and not the pedal's 5v system...

CPenn1086

Reaction score
What happens if one of these units fails? Do you lose all control of the throttle?

I have always wondered that with these things. Seems like it could create a potentially dangerous situation.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What happens if one of these units fails? Do you lose all control of the throttle?

I have always wondered that with these things. Seems like it could create a potentially dangerous situation.
Exactly why I want the pedal monster! It's failsafe mode just goes back to stock if something happens to the unit! From what I understand...it's the only throttle controller available that has this as well as using 12v power from the OBD port which is a way better idea to power the unit.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like how Sprint Booster leaves the last setting in the pedal assembly unit so that I don't have to keep a wired control hanging/dangling/strapped around. But also like the Banks too. I ordered one too and hopefully they support the 5.7 eTorque. I just got off with the phone with Banks customer support and they haven't listed the 5.7 (w or w/o eTorque) because they haven't confirmed internal testing. He doesn't think it will be a problem as they support the other 5.7L Hemi applications (Jeep, Dodge, etc). But as I noted earlier in another thread, I really like how the Banks unit is even better thought out. Anyone want a new, barely used Pedal Commander $265 shipped Paypal?? :)

I look forward to comparing notes with jfcody3962

1601065761299.png

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like how Sprint Booster leaves the last setting in the pedal assembly unit so that I don't have to keep a wired control hanging/dangling/strapped around. But also like the Banks too. I ordered one too and hopefully they support the 5.7 eTorque. I just got off with the phone with Banks customer support and they haven't listed the 5.7 (w or w/o eTorque) because they haven't confirmed internal testing. He doesn't think it will be a problem as they support the other 5.7L Hemi applications (Jeep, Dodge, etc). But as I noted earlier in another thread, I really like how the Banks unit is even better thought out. Anyone want a new, barely used Pedal Commander $265 shipped Paypal?? :)

I look forward to comparing notes with jfcody3962

View attachment 69786
That was my concern as well since I have the Hemi Etorque too. The way I see it though is that if any other controller has worked with Etorque then there shouldn't be any reason for the Monster to not work with it since it doesn't change any ECU parameters. Will order mine in two weeks, but if you get to try yours before I get mine...will definitely like to know how it works for ya!

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was my concern as well since I have the Hemi Etorque too. The way I see it though is that if any other controller has worked with Etorque then there shouldn't be any reason for the Monster to not work with it since it doesn't change any ECU parameters. Will order mine in two weeks, but if you get to try yours before I get mine...will definitely like to know how it works for ya!

I think the biggest challenge will be how to lay out the wiring under the dash so that it's discreet and/or can be removed for dealer service (beings it connects to both the pedal and OBD port. Instead of zip ties, I'll be using velcro straps I got from Harbor Freight. The fiddling engineer in me is anxious to play with the roll in vs WOT vs traction settings.

1601067958158.png

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the biggest challenge will be how to lay out the wiring under the dash so that it's discreet and/or can be removed for dealer service (beings it connects to both the pedal and OBD port. Instead of zip ties, I'll be using velcro straps I got from Harbor Freight. The fiddling engineer in me is anxious to play with the roll in vs WOT vs traction settings.

View attachment 69787
I think most of the wires can be tucked in the lower dash panel, but I won't bother removing it for the service department...only thing that a controller could possibly cause a warranty denial on its the pedal itself or the throttle body. OBD connection is just for the power that the Monster needs.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You risk that with all throttle by wire. Even the Stock OEM.

I had two Cadillac pedals replaced because there's sand in Florida. Imagine that. Made the throttle all jumpy and weird or dead pedal for half the depress. I've had throttle by wire cars since they started around 2004. GM is the only company so far that I've seen it fail spectacularly.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You risk that with all throttle by wire. Even the Stock OEM.

I had two Cadillac pedals replaced because there's sand in Florida. Imagine that. Made the throttle all jumpy and weird or dead pedal for half the depress. I've had throttle by wire cars since they started around 2004. GM is the only company so far that I've seen it fail spectacularly.
Sounds about right...modern GM quality

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, I am more convinced than ever that the Banks Pedal Monster system is the one to get. I took the RAM for a ride last night after it sat for a few days. Even with the Pedal Commander off idle delays returned and I had at least three occasions of mid corner dead pedal. And as if to really rub it in, after a stop at Wawa it started doing the first gear throttle hang up thing. These are all the exact same things it was doing stock

RSConsulting

Reaction score

Can't speak for others - but I remove my PC and Tazer before brining it in for service. First thing the service writer does is hook a tablet to it to read the ECU. Never want any questions or "wiggle room" for FCA to claim mods are the reason for a warranty claim. Takes 30 seconds to remove both (and put them back in). Better safe, than in an argument with FCA down the road...

YMMV...

Rick

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I am more convinced than ever that the Banks Pedal Monster system is the one to get. I took the RAM for a ride last night after it sat for a few days. Even with the Pedal Commander off idle delays returned and I had at least three occasions of mid corner dead pedal. And as if to really rub it in, after a stop at Wawa it started doing the first gear throttle hang up thing. These are all the exact same things it was doing stock
Makes sense...with the safety features and failsafe mechanisms that the Monster has...seems like it's the best one out there for a modern high-tech vehicle. No worrying about having a dead pedal if it malfunctions. Originally I had it narrowed down to the JMS throttle controller....DigiPower Speed....or the Pedal Monster.
The JMS one actually has a physical knob you turn to increase the pedal sensitivity which I thought was pretty cool. But only the Pedal Monster has the safety features that I think should be required in all of them.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: I've been doing leg work trying to see what other controllers have a failsafe feature. iDrive tries to claim it does but they can't tell me anything about it.
Same with JMS PedalMaxx....
Screenshot_20200928-090300_Yahoo Mail.jpg

jfcody3962

Reaction score
Installed the Banks Pedal Monster. Seems to work well. I had a Sprint Booster in the past, so it works the same as far as increased pedal response. I do like the bluetooth interface/app rather than the wired fob the SB had. The fail-safe feature is the main reason I opted for this one.

Users who are viewing this thread