5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The single biggest reason I ordered the Longhorn instead of the Limited......

Toris1968

Reaction score
At the Texas State fair this year they had a 2020 Rebel with all black interior...if I wouldn’t have literally just bought a 19 Longhorn I would have bought it on the spot. Looked great in all black

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now they do - but I still can't see not having the surround view camera

I was really wanting the Rebel as I think it looks amazing but the 360 camera was the killer.

Ventilated seats not being available either kinds of sucks but I could have lived without it...maybe....SC is damn hot!

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I just read this thread for the first time and chuckled as I had most if not all of these thoughts when shopping the Ram. I've always hated all black interiors and 10 years ago, while shopping for a crossover/SUV, I walked out of the Chevy dealer when EVERY vehicle had that blasted red 'accent stitching'. Since the 80's, every vehicle I've owned has had either tan, brown or ivory interiors (with black, gray or brown hard surfaces). When looking at the Ram, I was 'taken' with the frost/ivory but I was just as 'repulsed' by the wood - which I also read as plastic (plus I labored HARD over the exterior color... I think the max steel metallic is the only choice for that interior, personally). I briefly considered the LongHorn with upgrades/options to match the Ltd (so I could have my tan/brown as usual) and somewhere in the forums I came across a profound posting: you can dress-up a LongHorn and pay the price, but when it comes time to sell/trade, it's still going to be a LongHorn and it's going to be valued accordingly. Once I wrapped my head around that, the Ltd was my choice and, frankly, I've never given the wood finish a second thought or notice since I've owned it.
The filigree wasn't something I'd have chosen, but it's another invisible non-factor in my world.

The only thing about the Ltd finish that actually bugs me is that the steering wheel leather wrap only runs from '2:00' to '10:00' - so when you use the heat, the wood between 10 and 2 doesn't really warm up. That said, the seat ventilation (which I use 11.5 months out of 12) is by far the best of any vehicle I've ever owned!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just read this thread for the first time and chuckled as I had most if not all of these thoughts when shopping the Ram. I've always hated all black interiors and 10 years ago, while shopping for a crossover/SUV, I walked out of the Chevy dealer when EVERY vehicle had that blasted red 'accent stitching'. Since the 80's, every vehicle I've owned has had either tan, brown or ivory interiors (with black, gray or brown hard surfaces). When looking at the Ram, I was 'taken' with the frost/ivory but I was just as 'repulsed' by the wood - which I also read as plastic (plus I labored HARD over the exterior color... I think the max steel metallic is the only choice for that interior, personally). I briefly considered the LongHorn with upgrades/options to match the Ltd (so I could have my tan/brown as usual) and somewhere in the forums I came across a profound posting: you can dress-up a LongHorn and pay the price, but when it comes time to sell/trade, it's still going to be a LongHorn and it's going to be valued accordingly. Once I wrapped my head around that, the Ltd was my choice and, frankly, I've never given the wood finish a second thought or notice since I've owned it.
The filigree wasn't something I'd have chosen, but it's another invisible non-factor in my world.

The only thing about the Ltd finish that actually bugs me is that the steering wheel leather wrap only runs from '2:00' to '10:00' - so when you use the heat, the wood between 10 and 2 doesn't really warm up. That said, the seat ventilation (which I use 11.5 months out of 12) is by far the best of any vehicle I've ever owned!
My wood absolutely warms up. Lol

tyresmoker

Reaction score
I think you are correct other than I would add Patriot Blue goes very nicely as well! :)

I have to agree with you. Just ordered a MS/frost Limited diesel today with every option except the ram box. Can't wait to get it!

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I think you are correct other than I would add Patriot Blue goes very nicely as well! :)
I wasn't able to see the indigo/frost with any color exterior prior to ordering - so I'm relying purely on internet searches. I originally considered Delmonico red - but realized I'd be driving a 'not' red, white & blue truck. Then I considered Patriot blue - but found several pictures that made the indigo look lavender next to the patriot....thus my default to max steel...and it was REALLY tough to find pictures of that combo where the exterior and the interior were pictured together so I could be confident in the choice. More 1st world problems, eh?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
hmmm...Ram comment or happy husband? :devilish:

seriously though...does the wood/top arc of your wheel heat? Mine warms up by being next to the leather wrap, but by the time the heat has spread up that top arc, the leather wrapped part is almost too hot to comfortably hold...
Lol.
So I haven’t used mine in a while and doubt I will get any use of it now that I’m back down in Tampa so maybe I just don’t remember right.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I wasn't able to see the indigo/frost with any color exterior prior to ordering - so I'm relying purely on internet searches. I originally considered Delmonico red - but realized I'd be driving a 'not' red, white & blue truck. Then I considered Patriot blue - but found several pictures that made the indigo look lavender next to the patriot....thus my default to max steel...and it was REALLY tough to find pictures of that combo where the exterior and the interior were pictured together so I could be confident in the choice. More 1st world problems, eh?
My ivory and indigo was my first choice with maximum steel being my second choice if I couldn’t get the ivory.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hmmm...Ram comment or happy husband? :devilish:

seriously though...does the wood/top arc of your wheel heat? Mine warms up by being next to the leather wrap, but by the time the heat has spread up that top arc, the leather wrapped part is almost too hot to comfortably hold...
You may want to get it looked at, the wood in my limited can get too hot if I let it.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I think this is more or less accurate. If the wood is heated up it must be very much more insulated than the rest of the wheel which gets really hot.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Im the opposite. I chose the Laramie. I dont care for the longhorn western theme for more money.

James1414d

Reaction score
Love the Longhorn interior. I have the black/brown. I could do without the silly buckles on the back of the seats tho.

Rebel 12 with red leather looks pretty great too. I do wonder how it'll look after years of use.

LouCap

Reaction score

My Limited is black with the indigo/frost interior, and in person, it looks more black than indigo.

Reaction score
Your asking everyones personal preference, so your going to get varied results. For me, I got the Laramie Longhorn for the exact reason you stated. I originally had my sights set on the Limited but when i was at the dealership in person, I thought that the black/brown Laramie Longhorn was by far the nicer interior. So i bought that and have loved it ever since. I regret nothing! The longhorn i ended up getting didn't have the Sunroof or the Upgraded suspension system but had literally every other feature. MSRP for mine was 63k

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your asking everyones personal preference, so your going to get varied results. For me, I got the Laramie Longhorn for the exact reason you stated. I originally had my sights set on the Limited but when i was at the dealership in person, I thought that the black/brown Laramie Longhorn was by far the nicer interior. So i bought that and have loved it ever since. I regret nothing! The longhorn i ended up getting didn't have the Sunroof or the Upgraded suspension system but had literally every other feature. MSRP for mine was 63k
Maybe not every other option...my Longhorn had an MSRP north of $70k.

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
I came from an F150 King Ranch for the last 13 years, so I’ve had enough of the Western Saddle interior look for a while. I opted for a fully loaded 2019 Laramie Sport as the replacement, with all black leather interior, as a change of pace. Admittedly, the black interior is going to be a tad bit more difficult to keep clean - vs the brown/black/beige of a Longhorn. It shows dust/dirt/scrapes on the leather a bit more. But other than interior colors and pattern stitching, a Laramie, Longhorn, and Limited are pretty much all the same. Any Laramie can be optioned-up to be the same as the upper trims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Danny - I fully agree on the Rebel... I loved the Rebel 12 interior - but unfortunately (for me) it was unavailable in Delmonico, unavailable with Advance Safety Group, unavailable with 3:21 rear, unavailable with vented seats, unavailable with surround camera, unavailable with limited slip diff. I’m not an off-roader, but I live in bad mountain road farm country... so I would’ve liked all the other Rebel lift, suspension, and rough country features - but I’m old enough now to want and appreciate the best in creature comfort and driver’s aids too. The 2020 Rebel 12 is getting closer... but not there yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I came from an F150 King Ranch for the last 13 years, so I’ve had enough of the Western Saddle interior look for a while. I opted for a fully loaded 2019 Laramie Sport as the replacement, with all black leather interior, as a change of pace. Admittedly, the black interior is going to be a tad bit more difficult to keep clean - vs the brown/black/beige of a Longhorn. It shows dust/dirt/scrapes on the leather a bit more. But other than interior colors and pattern stitching, a Laramie, Longhorn, and Limited are pretty much all the same. Any Laramie can be optioned-up to be the same as the upper trims.
As far as the Fords go, I like the King Ranch scheme and the burgundy/wine "Marsala" available in the Platinum trims. In my opinion, the interiors in those trucks are a little too plain to go with basic black. That's not the case with the Ram, as there are plenty of little details.

I disagree about the "all the same" comment with respect to the Laramie vs. the Longhorn and Limited. There are significant differences between the interiors of the Laramie and the Longhorn/Limited trims (and headlights/grilles, obviously). There are many more small details throughout the cabin, and the 100% full-grain leather seating in the Longhorn and Limited are obviously a step above the other trims (and all other trucks, actually). The Laramie offers a very nice interior—maybe the best bang for the buck—but there's a difference in the top trims that you can see, feel, and even smell.

On the options front, it is indeed possible to option out a Laramie to pretty much match the Longhorn or Limited. The last time I played around with loading them up, the Longhorn had the highest MSRP, followed closely by the Limited and then the Laramie. But with the Laramie sitting squarely in the middle of the trim range, a buyer would take quite a hit on resale by spending Limited money on a Laramie. I guess if a person just had to have the Sport look and was planning to keep it...they do look good.

Users who are viewing this thread