5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tazer has voided my warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It "modifies" the "signal" in the same way that turning up your radio volume a fraction more "modifies" the stereo. It's a simple potentiometer.
It's more than just a potentiometer, and doesn't matter how it works, you admit it modifies the signal, which, if the Tazer can void a warranty, then the ideal commander, or any other throttle boost device can also void the warranty by modifying signals outside of "normal" operation

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's more than just a potentiometer, and doesn't matter how it works, you admit it modifies the signal, which, if the Tazer can void a warranty, then the ideal commander, or any other throttle boost device can also void the warranty by modifying signals outside of "normal" operation
At the risk of angering our resident Karen by continuing this: no, it doesn't leave a footprint, it's just a simple "volume changer" that works at the analog level (the computer can't even detect it) by amplifying the voltage. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't change the signal by putting it outside the range of expected voltages, nor the speed of change, it does exactly what your right foot does.

Next up you guys will be trying to convince us that gluing a 1 inch wooden strip to the pedal voids your warranty because, hey, modification.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At the risk of angering our resident Karen by continuing this: no, it doesn't leave a footprint, it's just a simple "volume changer" that works at the analog level (the computer can't even detect it) by amplifying the voltage. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't change the signal by putting it outside the range of expected voltages, nor the speed of change, it does exactly what your right foot does.

Next up you guys will be trying to convince us that gluing a 1 inch wooden strip to the pedal voids your warranty because, hey, modification.
It most definitely changes the signal from what normal operation would be. And the fact that it is placed inline on the harness, it would technically be means for dealership to void the warranty if it was installed when dropped off. The Tazer leaves no footprint if it is removed from the vehicle before taking it to dealer. It doesn't modify any signals, only allows you to enable different features.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have an idea. Somebody call FCA and ask them straight-up (“for a friend”) if a Pedal Commander voids the warranty.
Then we can move on to arguing about other things.

silver billet

Reaction score
It most definitely changes the signal from what normal operation would be. And the fact that it is placed inline on the harness, it would technically be means for dealership to void the warranty if it was installed when dropped off. The Tazer leaves no footprint if it is removed from the vehicle before taking it to dealer. It doesn't modify any signals, only allows you to enable different features.

You're playing word games with yourself. It doesn't modify the signal outside of normal bounds. If the pedal sends 0 to 8 volts without an inline pedal device, the device still sends 0 to 8 volts, only it amplifies the signal along a curve.

You can also remove it before taking it to the dealer.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're playing word games with yourself. It doesn't modify the signal outside of normal bounds. If the pedal sends 0 to 8 volts without an inline pedal device, the device still sends 0 to 8 volts, only it amplifies the signal along a curve.

You can also remove it before taking it to the dealer.
You can remove the TazerDT and won't have any issues. But having either plugged in when truck is at dealer is just asking for them to use it as a means to deny warranty repairs.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PLEASE REFER TO POST #209
I vote not photoshopped.

I have the Tazer and JMS Pedalmax... both left in on all visits, never a mention of either and have had plenty (almost too much) of warranty work without complaint or hint of issue. Definitely chalk this all up to individual dealership knowledge and experience.

Neither device modifies the factory settings beyond their ability to reset to a vanilla state and I am still very sorry anyone (including OP) would have a dealership put them in this predicament over a plug-in mod. It's shady low-down and dirty to deny warranty for something so trivial.

silver billet

Reaction score
You can remove the TazerDT and won't have any issues. But having either plugged in when truck is at dealer is just asking for them to use it as a means to deny warranty repairs.

That's all so completely speculative. No doubt some dealers will try anything, but the failure of the truck has to be related to the device in use. If I develop hemi tick or a cracked manifold, that will be covered under warranty still; there is no way a device like the pedal commander/monster can possibly cause those failures. But if your truck is experiencing unintended acceleration and you thump-thump a squirrel, they may not cover his funeral expenses.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's all so completely speculative. No doubt some dealers will try anything, but the failure of the truck has to be related to the device in use. If I develop hemi tick or a cracked manifold, that will be covered under warranty still; there is no way a device like the pedal commander/monster can possibly cause those failures. But if your truck is experiencing unintended acceleration and you thump-thump a squirrel, they may not cover his funeral expenses.
Most of your opi ions on this are speculative as well. I don't agree with the OPs warranty being voided as the Tazer has absolutely nothing to do with his problem. But to say the pedal commander is less likely to cause same issues at dealership is just ignorance. Especially since you are oversimplifying how the pedal commander works.

silver billet

Reaction score
Most of your opi ions on this are speculative as well. I don't agree with the OPs warranty being voided as the Tazer has absolutely nothing to do with his problem. But to say the pedal commander is less likely to cause same issues at dealership is just ignorance. Especially since you are oversimplifying how the pedal commander works.

My opinion is definitely speculative as well. But look at the Tazer, all the functions it provides. Its a complicated device that actually modifies the configuration/settings of your Ram. The pedal monster/commander does not, all it does is boost voltage (all within the same bounds that your right foot would do naturally with a little more physical effort on your part). They are in different leagues in how they work and operate on the vehicle.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that is the rear, driver's side tire sitting just slightly lower than the front passenger tire. Makes it look like a poorly photoshop job.

And you are giving dealers too much credit.

DONZILLA

Reaction score
Not feeling too good right now about having used a Hypertech to recalibrate my speedometer for a 33 inch tire. It's unfortunate that the incompetence of the dealership led me down that path, and that very incompetence could be used against me to void the warranty
Without the recalibration how fast or slower was the Speedo? I also was told that our trucks are smart enough to do that on its own up to a 33 inch tire.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like my Pulsar. Got it used for less than the cost of the pedal commander and it does much more.

DONZILLA

Reaction score
It doesn’t do anything different with the throttle valve response? If I’m at a stop next to someone with an identical truck, and all other things being equal, he can’t take off faster than me? Or he can, but it’s just a mind trick?
Is their description of what it does not correct, or does it do something different on ram trucks? https://pedalcommander.com/pages/product-information
Take off faster! ZOOM!

Scram1500

Reaction score
Without the recalibration how fast or slower was the Speedo? I also was told that our trucks are smart enough to do that on its own up to a 33 inch tire.
At 70 indicated on the dash, the actual speed was 72-73. I've heard the truck may or may not auto calibrate if you have a navigation head unit, but that was a while ago. Might have been a rumor

DONZILLA

Reaction score
At 70 indicated on the dash, the actual speed was 72-73. I've heard the truck may or may not auto calibrate if you have a navigation head unit, but that was a while ago. Might have been a rumor
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread