5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAZER DT for 2019 RAM 1500

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did get a 2nd reply from ZAUTO support today regarding my bluescreen and cruise control failure ..

"Sounds good. Keep us posted .. " ..

Ummm .. ?
I was asking why my camera went blue and why my cruise control showed all these errors ..
I removed the TAZERDT and I had to forcefully reflash my vehicle using wiTECH at work just to get everything back online (the camera was still blue but at least everything else was back - then when I pulled into my driveway after work, the camera system also came back).
I was going to try to put the TAZER back in tomorrow, but they asked me if I could work a few hours just in case they had a rush of customers .. so yeah .. I'll take the TAZER with me and park my rig in a bay and see if the issues duplicate :)

Ya'll have a great holiday weekend if you are lucky to have it off!

(I also plan on installing my Rough Country Dual 6" LED Grille Kit)
Tim N

RamTrucks

Reaction score
It’s unfortunate to hear the problems some are having with their Tazer DT’s. I had no problems upgrading to the 18.0.3 firmware on a Mac computer. The only issue I seem to have for some reason, and I’m not even sure if it’s the Tazer but my 12” radio cannot seem to remember my satellite radio presets when I start the truck again. Not a big deal but I’m not sure why?
For those having other issues, I’ll I can say is keep battling it out! The results will be all worth it!
I’m sure a lot of us can agree...it an expensive little device but it does some cool stuff and adds a lot more functionality to the truck!

Dustytrader

Reaction score
It is a bit frustrating due to sharing buttons with other functionality, and combination of button presses. But that is necessary by design. If you print out, read and highlight the directions VERY carefully, line by line, it does exactly as described. (I'm not 20 either I'm in my 40s) I had to read them 10 or more times but I got the hang of it.
Yeah I think it's just a little unsettling that you are going to make a mistake and screw it up..lol

Dustytrader

Reaction score
ZAutomotive sent me a return shipping label to send it back and stated they will send me a new one. I expressed to them to make sure it has the newest version of firmware already installed as I've wasted an entire morning screwing with the dud they sent me. I'm calmed down now so I will give it another shot when the new one comes in. Hopefully it goes smooth and should be an easy install since I've had it in and out about 10 times. I really only want it for the TPMS disable/reset, Tow mode memory to stay on so the MDS doesn't kick in, and tire size adjustment when I eventually add larger tires.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ZAutomotive sent me a return shipping label to send it back and stated they will send me a new one. I expressed to them to make sure it has the newest version of firmware already installed as I've wasted an entire morning screwing with the dud they sent me. I'm calmed down now so I will give it another shot when the new one comes in. Hopefully it goes smooth and should be an easy install since I've had it in and out about 10 times. I really only want it for the TPMS disable/reset, Tow mode memory to stay on so the MDS doesn't kick in, and tire size adjustment when I eventually add larger tires.

I’m using it for all that except the MDS, I’ve swapped that out for leaving the auto start stop off. Works good so far. Can’t tell if my Speedometer is actuate at the moment, but it’s close. For sure better than it was so it works, and I reset my TPMS to 30. I’m at 38 front 32 rear cold and no lights.

Dustytrader

Reaction score
I’m using it for all that except the MDS, I’ve swapped that out for leaving the auto start stop off. Works good so far. Can’t tell if my Speedometer is actuate at the moment, but it’s close. For sure better than it was so it works, and I reset my TPMS to 30. I’m at 38 front 32 rear cold and no lights.
What is the auto start stop? What does that do?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only on the etorque trucks, shuts off when you stop. Comes back on when you left off the brake.

Easy way to delete MDS is to get yourself some 100lb tires and a lift kit! Lol

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Finally was able to get some time to install it. It was hard for me to see the location off the printed copy so I downloaded the instructions and zoomed in on the photo - much easier to find. All went well once I figured out the "RES" is the OK button. I only changed a few things with the lighting.... Don't drop the fogs on high beam and don't drop the DLR with the turn signal.

I changed out my 3rd brake light out for an LED last month. There's an option here to enable LED as 3rd brake light. Should I change it from No to Yes? I mean it lights now so not sure what this actually does.

Lize

Reaction score
Finally was able to get some time to install it. It was hard for me to see the location off the printed copy so I downloaded the instructions and zoomed in on the photo - much easier to find. All went well once I figured out the "RES" is the OK button. I only changed a few things with the lighting.... Don't drop the fogs on high beam and don't drop the DLR with the turn signal.
Not sure if it is DRLs or Fogs that come on with indicators and turning of the wheel in the dark, did you happen to note if you could switch this off?

I changed out my 3rd brake light out for an LED last month. There's an option here to enable LED as 3rd brake light. Should I change it from No to Yes? I mean it lights now so not sure what this actually does.
I don't know this but wonder if its so you can use a non canbus compliant LED bulb?

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Not sure if it is DRLs or Fogs that come on with indicators and turning of the wheel in the dark, did you happen to note if you could switch this off?

I don't know this but wonder if its so you can use a non canbus compliant LED bulb?

I have it set to use low beams as DLRs (and it can be changed to fogs). By default, they go off when the blinker is on. Never liked that function set that way on vehicles. Even when I see it on other vehicles. Hence the Tazer DT and I was thankful for the group buy.

Hoping someone with more truck electrical knowledge than I will chime in on the LED. With this, it works I'm not going to change unless there's a reason.

Lize

Reaction score
I have it set to use low beams as DLRs (and it can be changed to fogs). By default, they go off when the blinker is on. Never liked that function set that way on vehicles. Even when I see it on other vehicles. Hence the Tazer DT and I was thankful for the group buy.

Hoping someone with more truck electrical knowledge than I will chime in on the LED. With this, it works I'm not going to change unless there's a reason.
Thanks, I've been pondering whether to buy one but with import duty it's quite expensive.

Thats a point, I dislike the half power headlights as DRLs and would much prefer to have the fogs instead. In theory I think the headlights are too high for UK DRL regulations but during the day I think it would be difficult to tell that they are on less bright and really just look like you have your lights on.

It's at night time that an extra light (assume fog) comes on when turning the wheel/indicator I'd most like to disable, I think it can be a bit confusing for other traffic and in my case unnecessary, if I was off road and wanted extra light lower down then I'd just switch the fog lights on.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been pondering whether to buy one but with import duty it's quite expensive.

It's at night time that an extra light (assume fog) comes on when turning the wheel/indicator I'd most like to disable, I think it can be a bit confusing for other traffic and in my case unnecessary, if I was off road and wanted extra light lower down then I'd just switch the fog lights on.

Didn't realize you were overseas so understand the import tax. I though it was pricey only for the fact I was changing very little. However, I like as much light on the road as I can. So now, when my high beams are on, the fogs stay on. Also, when the blinker is on the low beam DLR stays on. Be default, the DRLs were off on the truck at purchase.

Even on my HD bike, I have the low and high on at the same time when I'm using high beams (plus the passing lights). I don't have a lift on the truck (though watching a thread for 2.5" lift) and I aim the bike lights low enough not to blind too many folks. But at night riding on back roads, it looks like day. :cool:

Twoamen

Reaction score
It’s unfortunate to hear the problems some are having with their Tazer DT’s. I had no problems upgrading to the 18.0.3 firmware on a Mac computer. The only issue I seem to have for some reason, and I’m not even sure if it’s the Tazer but my 12” radio cannot seem to remember my satellite radio presets when I start the truck again. Not a big deal but I’m not sure why?
For those having other issues, I’ll I can say is keep battling it out! The results will be all worth it!
I’m sure a lot of us can agree...it an expensive little device but it does some cool stuff and adds a lot more functionality to the truck!
Make sure you have a profile established in your Sirius xm settings

Dustytrader

Reaction score
I got my replacement tazer in the mail, opened it and it looks as if were well used. All scratched up and worn looking. Anyhow, they ensured me it would have the latest 18.0.3 firmware updated when they sent it to me. I plugged it in and it wouldn't marry and showed version 18.0.1. At this point I'm ready to tell them to stick it. I unplugged it and went back to my computer and downloaded the newest firmware and tried it again. This time it worked. It works as described. Not impressed with this company one bit though. They do not have a live person to talk to as they say they are only a small company and can't answer all calls. Really? for $330 each you can't provide technical help? You can text them or email them only. This really sucks when you are in the middle of installing it and having issues. I spent 4 hours back and forth the first day with the faulty one trying to get it to work. They sent me a shipping label to return it and sent me the latest one. If there was another brand out there that did the same thing, I would definitely look at it but I didn't see one. Anyhow, it's installed and working. I hope it keeps working and I don't need technical assistance from them in the future.

airgas1998

Reaction score
wait what...I thought this didn't have the capability to turn off mds? also tow mode doesn't disable it anyway only manual gear selection correct?

Dustytrader

Reaction score
Tow mode DOES disable MDS. Living proof..lol. I have an aftermarket exhaust and it is clear when the MDS is on. I leave it on Tow mode all the time now unless driving on the highway and I will turn it off. It's nice not having to go through the gear selector each time you get in and out of the truck while in town or running to the store and back. I had the mirror fold option on but that got annoying real fast. Especially when I fold them in to get into the garage and leave them until I have backed out. They extend out whenever I start it so I have to fold them in before backing out...plus if you are in and out of your vehicle often they fold and unfold way too often for me. Might be good for some, just doesn't really work for my situation. TPMS sensor adjustment works, have mine set at 26psi now.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Tow mode DOES disable MDS. Living proof..lol. I have an aftermarket exhaust and it is clear when the MDS is on. I leave it on Tow mode all the time now unless driving on the highway and I will turn it off. It's nice not having to go through the gear selector each time you get in and out of the truck while in town or running to the store and back. I had the mirror fold option on but that got annoying real fast. Especially when I fold them in to get into the garage and leave them until I have backed out. They extend out whenever I start it so I have to fold them in before backing out...plus if you are in and out of your vehicle often they fold and unfold way too often for me. Might be good for some, just doesn't really work for my situation. TPMS sensor adjustment works, have mine set at 26psi now.

I tried it and sent it back and got my money back. It made my truck start throwimg codes. Update and still did it. Just an expensive toy and not worth the money to me. Rather get me a tuner unless you like the light show you can do with it. I wasn't impressed with it and thats just my opinion. Others really seem to like it so it's really what you want I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamTrucks

Reaction score
Make sure you have a profile established in your Sirius xm settings
Thanks very much for your reply. Looked at it today and seems to be saving my presets now that I added a profile. Thanks again!

Twoamen

Reaction score
Any word through communications with Tazer DT on Upgraded the ability to use Bluetooth and an APP to control, Marry/Unmarry, Light show, Id prefer not having to connect reconnect every oil change, tire rotation, recall etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread