5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway bar link question

ChrisJ796

Reaction score
Bought a RAM a month or so ago, have only drove it a handful of times an am getting irritated. Bought it cash off a guy a gave it a walk around test drive ect with no issues. It is a limited eco diesel with a Rough Country lift, I believe it’s 5 or 5 1/2 inch lift and 24x13.50Rx37” tires. After driving it home 8+hrs it was still great after a few quick trips around town started noticing popping when turning and a clunk when stopping starting. After crawling under it I have had to tighten all the drop brackets for front differential, replace numerous bolts that were washed out from being so loose. gained some noise reduction but it still sounds horrible for a 70k+ dollar truck when turning bumps ect… tie rod ends are junk and I have bought new an correct ones from RC just not had time to install. I just pulled off sway at links an both lower boots are ripped a full of rust. I am going to buy suspension MAXX links an am curious if they need to be for a lift or stock considering the lift has drop brackets for sway bar?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a RAM a month or so ago, have only drove it a handful of times an am getting irritated. Bought it cash off a guy a gave it a walk around test drive ect with no issues. It is a limited eco diesel with a Rough Country lift, I believe it’s 5 or 5 1/2 inch lift and 24x13.50Rx37” tires. After driving it home 8+hrs it was still great after a few quick trips around town started noticing popping when turning and a clunk when stopping starting. After crawling under it I have had to tighten all the drop brackets for front differential, replace numerous bolts that were washed out from being so loose. gained some noise reduction but it still sounds horrible for a 70k+ dollar truck when turning bumps ect… tie rod ends are junk and I have bought new an correct ones from RC just not had time to install. I just pulled off sway at links an both lower boots are ripped a full of rust. I am going to buy suspension MAXX links an am curious if they need to be for a lift or stock considering the lift has drop brackets for sway bar?
Someone posted a response from Suspensionmaxx about the differences between the different offerings. The length of the end links is the same for all of them. The difference is in the angle of the part bolted to control arm. Since it is a lift, I'd say go with the lifted end links. But you could always pose your question to Suspensionmaxx and see what they say. Would probably be a more correct response than anything anyone here could offer.

ChrisJ796

Reaction score
I installed sway bar links will hopefully get to step away from work next weekend and install tie rod ends, I’m going to pull stabilizer bars an inspect them while I’m at it.

ChrisJ796

Reaction score
Suspension maxx links are in along with the lift specific RC tie rod ends!!!! Front end pop is gone 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 after a few quick drives I can now hear the squeak off rear, going to pull track bar & sway bar links to check them out. It sounds almost like the air spring is bouncing around in the cradle when you preload/unload suspension. From what I see the RC are bushing mounts on both ends and the OEM look like bushing on top a socket mount on bottom? Any suggestions on mounting types? Also discovered Off-road 1&2 setting on air suspension makes crawling under truck pretty simple lol.

ChrisJ796

Reaction score
Pulled sway bar trying to find a squeak in rear and surprisingly the rear control arms both sound horrible. Truck only has 35k a need in dry climate its whole life. Either Ram went cheap on the bushings or 37” tires are too much. RC sway bar link’s bushings are toast along with oem bar bushings. Hoping I can get some direction for some beefier aftermarket.

1500 limited diesel
with 5.5” Rc lift & 37x13.5R24 tires

Attachments

• IMG_7619.jpeg
    IMG_7619.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 26

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeeeeeeeep core 4x4 is calling you. Only can expect so much from components when you go outside of stock suspension form. You gotta beef them up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And just your luck, there is a set of Core 4x4 rear control arms for sale on here right now for a great price.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the Core 4x4 lifted end links while you’re at it. They are a game changer. And when you pair them with the Core control arms, you’ll understand why. 🤣

ChrisJ796

Reaction score
Replaced sway bar links sleeves with some higher grade ones and reinstalled rear sway bar. Found the drop bracket for track bar was loose, tightened it up and the rear end popping noise went away when I go over slopes ect... Still get the thud(it’s almost feels/sounds like the axle is not secure is the best I can explain it when truck takes off from a dead stop) I’m guessing it’s the control arm bushings compressing so I’m going to upgrade with the suggested core4x4 control arms/track bar in the next few weeks, Does anyone happen to have torq specs? all the ones that I find online are pretty inconsistent an I don’t have alldata anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_7622.jpeg
    IMG_7622.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 14

frisby5

Reaction score
Replaced sway bar links sleeves with some higher grade ones and reinstalled rear sway bar. Found the drop bracket for track bar was loose, tightened it up and the rear end popping noise went away when I go over slopes ect... Still get the thud(it’s almost feels/sounds like the axle is not secure is the best I can explain it when truck takes off from a dead stop) I’m guessing it’s the control arm bushings compressing so I’m going to upgrade with the suggested core4x4 control arms/track bar in the next few weeks, Does anyone happen to have torq specs? all the ones that I find online are pretty inconsistent an I don’t have alldata anymore.

Attachments

• torqueSpec1500(1).pdf
    271.6 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread