5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swapping Halogen Light assembly for LED assembly?

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, guys I'm new to the forum. What are the differences between the LED w/adaptive headlamps and without? Do I really need the adaptive?
The LED with Adaptive are projectors and comes on the Longhorn and Limited, they require a different grille if you are putting them on a Laramie or lower. The "mid" LED lights are reflectors.

Livinfast85

Reaction score
I installed the Tazer DT, it is updated with the newest software. Enabled fog lights and turned LED fog lights to yes. Did a reboot and full shut down, even tried disconnecting the battery and fogs still wont turn on. Am I doing something wrong here?
Hmmm, not sure. Probably a question for zautomotive. They have great customer service!

ak_andy

Reaction score
I installed the Tazer DT, it is updated with the newest software. Enabled fog lights and turned LED fog lights to yes. Did a reboot and full shut down, even tried disconnecting the battery and fogs still wont turn on. Am I doing something wrong here?
Do you need the Tazer DT if you're just swapping the headlights?

ak_andy

Reaction score
So, i found that Mopar Wholesale had the best price on the LED Headlamps ($583). Does part# 68316089AH sound familiar to anyone? The drawing is pretty vague so I wanted to verify before buying it. (Yes I googled it)

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, i found that Mopar Wholesale had the best price on the LED Headlamps ($583). Does part# 68316089AH sound familiar to anyone? The drawing is pretty vague so I wanted to verify before buying it. (Yes I googled it)
Genuine Ram Part # 68316089AH - Headlamp. Left. [led reflector headlamps], [black headlamp bezels]. Fits 1500. Front the first Google entry when you search that part number.

Bruins5515

Reaction score
4abf124a68740a2d20840aa735b85312.jpg
15138dd7347f5a2a77b61c94f15ee9f3.jpg
9f8586d224a8dfca6276270742ac8e2d.jpg
797cee538e2b827cd28f56c143c7a97b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any update on how these are working out for you, i purchased the morimoto assemblies and had issues after install. looking to do the OEM route, who did you get adapter through?
And does your truck have e-torque, read somewhere that it can mess up the LED lights, not sure if its true.
Thanks

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Grab the adapter directly from RetroShop. I’ve had mine for approx. a year at this point, and they’ve been great. One adapter did fail about three months in, but they shipped a new one the next day after some back and forth troubleshooting. It has been flawless since then. Highly recommended!

Bruins5515

Reaction score
Grab the adapter directly from RetroShop. I’ve had mine for approx. a year at this point, and they’ve been great. One adapter did fail about three months in, but they shipped a new one the next day after some back and forth troubleshooting. It has been flawless since then. Highly recommended!
Okay cool thank you, did you order the headlights direct from mopar or from retro shop?

ak_andy

Reaction score
moparwholesaleparts.com has them for $583 a piece. Retroshop.us has them for a little bit more I believe. I used moparwholesaleparts.com and was not disappointed. I am located in southern Louisiana and they were at the house within 5-6 days.

Hugearse

Reaction score
I'm wondering what would be needed to fit the led headlights from a 2500 Laramie into my 1500? If it's even possible or worth the time and effort of course lol. Found someone local selling a complete set of headlights for $600.

ak_andy

Reaction score
I'm not sure that you can but even if you could, you'd have to swap out more than just the lights.

huetatoes

Reaction score
Any update on how these are working out for you, i purchased the morimoto assemblies and had issues after install. looking to do the OEM route, who did you get adapter through?
And does your truck have e-torque, read somewhere that it can mess up the LED lights, not sure if its true.
Thanks
What issues did you have with the morimoto ones? I’m looking to pick up a set when I get my truck.

Bruins5515

Reaction score
What issues did you have with the morimoto ones? I’m looking to pick up a set when I get my truck.
They would run great for about 45 minutes but after that the front turn signal would just stay on as a solid light after you use it once, so if you are driving and put your left turn signal on it just had an orange light on the rest of the drive even after turn signal was off, morimoto tried to trouble shoot but we could not find a solution, they got them back a few days ago and were going to do some testing to see if there as something wrong with the set they sent me. They said it could be something with my specific trim level and package not responding right to the LED lights. I can send you a video of the issue if you wanna see what i am talking about.

Stony0604

Reaction score
If you wanted to go another route...I have the alpharex on mine with LED bulbs. Simple plug and play with one wire and a fuse tap for the DRL's. I love them.

edehosse

Reaction score
Hey all. Picked up a 2020 big horn. I replaced the halogen fog assembly with the OEM led fog lights that come with the premium lighting option. Install was smooth, but fogs will not turn on. Dealer said I may need to get computer reprogrammed. Anyone experience this issue or install successfully?

Realize this is an old post, and not sure if you figured it out yet, but did you swap the pins on the fog light plug? It's required to get the LEDs to work.

ProdigyDude

Reaction score
Thanks

What issues did you have with the Morimotos? I was thinking of purchasing them.

dsn112

Reaction score
Thanks

17k miles, no issues.

If your looking alpharex might as well go full LED. They are starting to show up now.

Users who are viewing this thread