5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surround view camera usefullness? (How do you use yours?)

LouCap

Reaction score
One of the best options on this truck!

I've become very dependent on the surround view with a truck of this size. I use it every single time I park in a parking lot (in drive or reverse).

BTW, don't get the trailer tow package if you get the Advanced Safety Group. It deletes the surround view.

Yup, this ^^^^^ bit me in the ***. Damn tow package...

tdager

Reaction score
I use mine when parking forward in a spot especially when near a curb. I have the shortcut on my menu so I must select the app when starting to park. The overhead view is very useful.

Same here, including the short cut.

RammyShand

Reaction score
I decided many years ago, that I will never buy a vehicle without it. Surround view camera, blind spot monitoring, and radar cruise control are deal breakers when buying a vehicle.

klail

Reaction score
I decided many years ago, that I will never buy a vehicle without it. Surround view camera, blind spot monitoring, and radar cruise control are deal breakers when buying a vehicle.
I agree except for the blind spot monitoring. Don't get me wrong, it is a great feature, however, I tend to you my small convex mirror in the corner for this instead. I think it is just a habit for me that I don't look for the light and just look in the mirrors.

PrISM

Reaction score
I use it all the time. It's especially useful for me since my prior vehicles have all been sedans or coupes and I'm not used to a full-size truck. I was wishing that I could use it when parking forward, but just learned about the shortcut trick from this thread.

jkm312

Reaction score
I didn't think it was THAT bit of a deal. I have some really tight places to maneuver in which I always was able to do without it for 20 + years. Now that I've had the RAM 6 months, it's one of those surprise things on the truck that I really use and appreciate much more than I thought I would.

DrAudio

Reaction score

While listing luxuries you can’t live without once you’ve had...add auto dimming headlights and auto sense wipers! Didn’t realize just how great these were until driving a loaner without. Can’t live like a savage anymore! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBHelms

Reaction score
I mainly use it to park in my garage as close to the front wall as possible (6") so I can walk by the rear with the garage door down.

But I have found it very useful in parking lots to line up between the lines hoping to avoid door dings and along curbs

I do have to admit though, that I have used them 2 times to check out an attractive lady in the grocery store parking lot...very stealthy and harmless

2019 RAM 1500 LIMITED CREW 4X4

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I avoided all the extra camera and radio and safety package due to being cheap ($3K) and never had any of that for the previous 45 years of driving. My son bought in June and got it all on his Ltd. He doesn't use the auto braking or lane keeping but likes the camera and sound system. When I've driven his truck I agree that the camera is nice. The lane-keeping icon is enough for me as opposed to the "active" lane-keeping feature. I don't trust the auto braking collision avoidance to work right. Eventually they will get that figured out so that we can all have self-driving vehicles.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use mine when the turn signals come on (moving forward) .. kinda neat flipping forward or rear while waiting at a stop light .. and making a turn to see if you 'curb check' or not ..

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bringing this thread back from the dead. i see the tech package on the '21 rebel includes surround view. is this a glitch in the configurator, or is it now available?

Thanks!

fsjosh

Reaction score
bringing this thread back from the dead. i see the tech package on the '21 rebel includes surround view. is this a glitch in the configurator, or is it now available?

Thanks!
It's a part of the Advanced Safety Group which was added as an option for the Rebel in 21.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks!

It's a part of the Advanced Safety Group which was added as an option for the Rebel in 21.

I wish this was an option on the Rebel.

It is on the 21's

Yup, its not part of the Technology (tech) package, but it is offered now with the Advanced Safety Group.
1609114200937.png

My prediction is we're going to be seeing more and more of the safety features trickle down into more basic packages/trim levels, as other manufacturers are already doing this. My brother-in-law just bought a very base model Tacoma a few months ago, and it has the auto-cruise (because Toyota wanted it to have the auto-brake feature, and they use the same technology).

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My son has that on his 19’ Limited while I chose to not pay the $ for the package on mine. He only uses the front camera for parking in the garage and doesn’t trust the auto braking and lanekeeping, having had a couple issues.

I’d have used/liked the surround camera but it wasn’t worth the level 2 upcharge. Same with the fancy HK audio, that‘s part of the level 2 for the Ltd and I really couldn’t tell the difference.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
100% spot on. My thoughts exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread