5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surround view camera usefullness? (How do you use yours?)

robbiele

Reaction score
What do find that you use your surround view camera for? I like the idea of the tech with the surround view camera, but I'm just trying to figure out when I would use it. I have a 2013 longhorn now and back it in spaces just fine with the reverse camera. Also, I rarely tow. I feel like I'm missing something that this feature will be very useful with???? I'm looking to order and I'm not the least bit interested in the other features in the Advanced Safety Group due to having other vehicles with those features and never using them or the features not working well.

Kidder

Reaction score
I use mine when parking forward in a spot especially when near a curb. I have the shortcut on my menu so I must select the app when starting to park. The overhead view is very useful.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe it is like many other features, I could do without it, have for years of driving, but now that I have it I enjoy using it. Besides towing, I use it to see all close obstacles when navigating around the farm, when needing to back or turn in tight places, also use it for getting as close to the curb as possible when parking in town and for parking perfectly in parking spaces. Takes all the guessing out of anything around the truck. Not that I couldn’t do these things before obviously, it is just my way of justifying it maybe?:rolleyes:. :)

robbiele

Reaction score
thanks for the quick replies...this kind of stuff is what I'm looking for

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it is like many other features, I could do without it, have for years of driving, but now that I have it I enjoy using it. Besides towing, I use it to see all close obstacles when navigating around the farm, when needing to back or turn in tight places, also use it for getting as close to the curb as possible when parking in town and for parking perfectly in parking spaces. Takes all the guessing out of anything around the truck. Not that I couldn’t do these things before obviously, it is just my way of justifying it maybe?:rolleyes:. :)

Agreed. I originally thought it was just a "gimmick"...now I use it all the time for parking and pulling into tight spaces like a drive through atm, etc. Love it and glad I have it.

MN5241

Reaction score
I use it when pulling into my garage, I have a 3 care garage, but its only 24' deep and I park next to my wife's Grand Cherokee, so its super useful for that. Also allows me to get a lot closer to the front of the garage being the park sensors leave a lot of room for error.

DeanKing

Reaction score
All of the above. Forward Parking all the time. Parallel parking. Gets the vehicle perfectly in the spot. Pulling into garage on an angle. Negotiating driveway when turning to avoid obstacles. I could drive without it but it just makes it so much easier and less stressful. Biggest gripe: huge screen with a tiny picture. The overhead view should be at least twice the size it is.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Especially parallel parking I find myself now picking spots that I might not have before although I could have done it without it’s just sooo much easier and quicker with that I don’t find myself saying na I’ll pass...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V8Spock

Reaction score
One of the best options on this truck!

I've become very dependent on the surround view with a truck of this size. I use it every single time I park in a parking lot (in drive or reverse).

BTW, don't get the trailer tow package if you get the Advanced Safety Group. It deletes the surround view.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use mine when parking forward in a spot especially when near a curb. I have the shortcut on my menu so I must select the app when starting to park. The overhead view is very useful.
Ditto...it's awesome for that purpose (pulling forward, in reverse, or trying to get the angle just right when angle parking), and I've added the shortcut as well.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All of the above. Forward Parking all the time. Parallel parking. Gets the vehicle perfectly in the spot. Pulling into garage on an angle. Negotiating driveway when turning to avoid obstacles. I could drive without it but it just makes it so much easier and less stressful. Biggest gripe: huge screen with a tiny picture. The overhead view should be at least twice the size it is.
I agree. I hardly pay attention to the other camera views, but I use the top-down view all the time.

Johnvan

Reaction score
I had it on my previous vehicle but not on this because of the tow mirrors. I don't know why they removed the front camera too. I miss having it. Pulling in to my driveway I used to use it to get close to the tongue of my trailer. The tongue is narrow so it doesn't seem to trigger the sensors.

Volkster

Reaction score
I love it too. First time having it on a vehicle. I have one question....when I drag it down to the shortcut bar (replace the “back up” cam shortcut) it initially replaces it but then swithches back to the back up cam shortcut. Oddly, when that happens it removes the clock from the top of the infotainment screen. I have to go back in clock settings and turn it back on. This happens each time I repeat the process

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love it too. First time having it on a vehicle. I have one question....when I drag it down to the shortcut bar (replace the “back up” cam shortcut) it initially replaces it but then swithches back to the back up cam shortcut. Oddly, when that happens it removes the clock from the top of the infotainment screen. I have to go back in clock settings and turn it back on. This happens each time I repeat the process
Try saving your seat memory settings after you move the icon, if applicable.

AMarsh

Reaction score
Wish I had it as an option for my Rebel. Would be great for rock crawling without a spotter. Unfortunately it also sounds like it's impossible to retro-fit.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wish I had it as an option for my Rebel. Would be great for rock crawling without a spotter. Unfortunately it also sounds like it's impossible to retro-fit.
Great feature. I have it on a few of my cars and use it like everyone mentioned. Garage clearance, parking close to a wall or concrete barrier...its obviously something many of us lived without for most of our driving careers but it's great to use now that it exists.

RamMeToo

Reaction score
Surround view is a ding and dent elimination tool. Trucks worldwide will have less damage thanks to surround view. Did we drive for years without them and can we drive without them today... of course. Most vehicles that have surround view (and the objects around them) will suffer less as a result of having them. Thats a guarantee.

Volkster

Reaction score
Great point! I will try that
Try saving your seat memory settings after you move the icon, if applicable.
that seemed to work! After i reset all the settings to my liking, i resaved memory 1. I looked good in the manual and as far as infotainment goes, it only mentions radio presets as being saved under memory settings

Users who are viewing this thread