5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surging at low speeds?

Atlec

Reaction score
I searched around and found several posts related to surging at low speeds but they were all about 2 years old. None of them had fixes listed, so just curious if there has been a fix since then.

Here is what's going on:

At slow speeds (around 5 mph) I will get a surge occasionally in engine speed, ranging from 500 to 1100 RPMs, this causes a noticeable jerking back and forth while the truck is moving.
This seems to occur most frequently after the truck has been started
It will usually go away after 30 to 45 seconds but will occasionally happen anytime.
I took it to the dealership last month but they "couldn't replicate" the issue and no codes present
It was so bad yesterday I thought the truck was going to stall.
This has been going on for at least 2 years but it finally starting to get worse in symptoms and frequency.

2020 1500, 5.7 Hemi (non-etorque), currently has about 45k miles

Thoughts?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you getting a check engine light? My first thought is dirty throttle body, or something with the air filter. Could be the fuel too I guess. Maybe try another station.

Do you have any add ons like Tazer, pulsar, or aplha?

Atlec

Reaction score
Are you getting a check engine light? My first thought is dirty throttle body, or something with the air filter. Could be the fuel too I guess. Maybe try another station.

Do you have any add ons like Tazer, pulsar, or aplha?
No modifications. No CEL or codes. Filter is clean, and happens regardless of where I fill up.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
My 2020 DT just started doing the same thing. My exhaust manifolds have been ticking for a while, but now they’re pretty bad. Started surging when the got bad. Wondering if it’s leaning out causing the surge.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2020 DT just started doing the same thing. My exhaust manifolds have been ticking for a while, but now they’re pretty bad. Started surging when the got bad. Wondering if it’s leaning out causing the surge.
Could be acting up with lower back pressure

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I searched around and found several posts related to surging at low speeds but they were all about 2 years old. None of them had fixes listed, so just curious if there has been a fix since then.

Here is what's going on:

At slow speeds (around 5 mph) I will get a surge occasionally in engine speed, ranging from 500 to 1100 RPMs, this causes a noticeable jerking back and forth while the truck is moving.
This seems to occur most frequently after the truck has been started
It will usually go away after 30 to 45 seconds but will occasionally happen anytime.
I took it to the dealership last month but they "couldn't replicate" the issue and no codes present
It was so bad yesterday I thought the truck was going to stall.
This has been going on for at least 2 years but it finally starting to get worse in symptoms and frequency.

2020 1500, 5.7 Hemi (non-etorque), currently has about 45k miles

Thoughts?
Hello Atlec,

We are sorry to hear about this. Have you considered bringing it back in to the dealer for further diagnosis or another dealer in your area for a second opinion? If not, we recommend doing so. Please send us a private message if you decide to go that route and we'd be happy to offer an extra layer of assistance.

Lex
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing the same concern. Have you reached out to your local Ram dealership for diagnosis? If not, we recommend getting an appointment in place. We are available via private message if you would like some additional assistance alongside the dealer at any point.

Lex
Ram Cares

mcdonaldmark

Reaction score
My 2019 does the same thing. I've been waiting on the driver side manifold for 8 months! Passenger side manifold just started leaking and brought it to the dealership for that and surging issue. They also "couldn't replicate the issue". Seems to be a trend. I've never had so many issues with a vehicle with 50k miles in my life.

6of36

Reaction score
45,000 miles, maybe fuel filter. Also cut the old one open, to see what's inside. You could have gotten one bad tank of gas, and once the dirt, or water is there, it doesn't go away with more fill ups.

Maxum

Reaction score
2021 DT here also and both my manifolds are cracked. Had it to the garage yesterday. No timeframe on the parts, could be several months, which is insane considering this could cause fumes inside the cabin. Been experiencing a similar thing with the surging and other weird symptoms since the manifolds have been making noise. Probably the air leak causing it. I’ve had Harley motorcycles with exhaust leaks that had a similar thing happen. This started at around 30k kms, but I didn’t know anything about the manifold issue until recently, so had it checked, 45k kms on it now. I fully expect if this happens again, I’ll be heading to GMC, as much as I love my MOPAR vehicles. This is my 4th Ram Hemi and first one to have a cracked manifold or any issues at all really.

bbuckley13

Reaction score
I have had my 2020 to the dealer twice in the past 2 months for this issue. They couldn’t replicate the issue and then told me it’s normal and I would have to just accept it and change my driving style. At times it also surges so hard when I come to a stop it feels like I am being rear ended. The dealer also said that is normal.

MoPowr84

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing at the first time I hit the stop sign 2 blocks from my house on a cold start. It also does it on the boat ramp if you really try to feather it. Mine has done this since new and I have just become used to it.

Atlec

Reaction score
2021 DT here also and both my manifolds are cracked. Had it to the garage yesterday. No timeframe on the parts, could be several months, which is insane considering this could cause fumes inside the cabin. Been experiencing a similar thing with the surging and other weird symptoms since the manifolds have been making noise. Probably the air leak causing it. I’ve had Harley motorcycles with exhaust leaks that had a similar thing happen. This started at around 30k kms, but I didn’t know anything about the manifold issue until recently, so had it checked, 45k kms on it now. I fully expect if this happens again, I’ll be heading to GMC, as much as I love my MOPAR vehicles. This is my 4th Ram Hemi and first one to have a cracked manifold or any issues at all really.
No timeframe on parts? When they did my manifolds earlier this year they had the parts in a few days. Hopefully they haven't gone back order on us.

Atlec

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing at the first time I hit the stop sign 2 blocks from my house on a cold start. It also does it on the boat ramp if you really try to feather it. Mine has done this since new and I have just become used to it.
It's just frustrating for sure. You expect a vehicle like this to run smoother in these situations.

6of36

Reaction score
No timeframe on parts? When they did my manifolds earlier this year they had the parts in a few days. Hopefully they haven't gone back order on us.
I didn't have my truck yet at the time, but was just talking about trucks with my write up. She said they will only ship 4 sets a month to each dealer. Length of time to get replacements, depends on how many are in line at your dealer. They can not order for stock, only by when a truck is written.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
I think some of what you're feeling is the trans downshifting till it gets to 1st gear. Until it gets there, there's some engine drag (to the point where i tend to be very very light on the brakes coming to a stop). Then when it drops to 1 it seems the resistance goes away. I think it's also compounded if you either have eTorque - which is putting a load on the engine to charge using the generator and/or the 3.92 gearing. I have both so it's really apparent and usually most noticable leaving the house in the morning coasting to a stop.

I will say that after replacing the oem shocks/springs with bilstein 6112/ 5160 and 35" Nitto RGs, the surge is much less noticeable. I'm assuming due to there being a bunch more unsprung weight.

And for what it's worth, my dealership told me the same thing after I'd had it in there multiple times for the issue. They said it's normal and if I didn't like it, maybe I should get an older truck with 3 or 4 speeds. Great customer service!

Atlec

Reaction score
I think some of what you're feeling is the trans downshifting till it gets to 1st gear. Until it gets there, there's some engine drag (to the point where i tend to be very very light on the brakes coming to a stop). Then when it drops to 1 it seems the resistance goes away. I think it's also compounded if you either have eTorque - which is putting a load on the engine to charge using the generator and/or the 3.92 gearing. I have both so it's really apparent and usually most noticable leaving the house in the morning coasting to a stop.

I will say that after replacing the oem shocks/springs with bilstein 6112/ 5160 and 35" Nitto RGs, the surge is much less noticeable. I'm assuming due to there being a bunch more unsprung weight.

And for what it's worth, my dealership told me the same thing after I'd had it in there multiple times for the issue. They said it's normal and if I didn't like it, maybe I should get an older truck with 3 or 4 speeds. Great customer service!
This is happening in first gear, often before the truck has had a chance to shift into 2nd. No eTorque on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread