5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunroof/shade motor stopped working

Andsant1982

Reaction score
So I have 19 1500 Laramie, I am out of warranty (53k ) and sure enough the Panoramic Roof/shade stopped working l. I had an issue with the control panel earlier and it was replaced but now I am gonna have to pay $700 ( no extended warranty purchased.. I know I should have ) has anyone else had this issue? I have contacted a FCA but know they will not do anything , just trying to get some feedback from here... thanks

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow - that's one of my bigger fears to deal with (coming from owning sunroofs in every car I've owned).

Hopefully someone w/access to wiring schematics can chime in with diagrams of things you can test to ensure it's not just a missed plug, BCM code or something else

STR

Reaction score
That stinks. When was the control panel replaced? If recently, then maybe they’ll consider a goodwill fixed. Doubtful, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt asking as it was a known ongoing issue. I recently saw another post on here about a sunshade issue. Good luck.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually a replaced part carries a one year warranty from install date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am dreading the date my warranty runs out (next June) for these reasons as well...

jakemyster84

Reaction score
my sunshade and sunroof stopped working at 20,000 miles. They ended up replacing both motors for the sunshade and the sunroof. Covered under warranty for me, but reaffirms that I will be getting an extended warranty on this truck

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my sunshade and sunroof stopped working at 20,000 miles. They ended up replacing both motors for the sunshade and the sunroof. Covered under warranty for me, but reaffirms that I will be getting an extended warranty on this truck

What year/trim level Ram? and are you a daily/weekly/often user of the sunshade?

Curious to put context to that motor failure, thanks for posting your experience! (sucks that it happened)

BMANN06

Reaction score
I’m assuming it’s stuck in the open position. I would just do a quick check for any limit switches in around the sunroof. It’s quite possible that a switch isnt making or breaking and the shade will not close because “it thinks” the sunroof is open.

jakemyster84

Reaction score
What year/trim level Ram? and are you a daily/weekly/often user of the sunshade?

Curious to put context to that motor failure, thanks for posting your experience! (sucks that it happened)
It is a 2019 1500 Limited, funny enough the sunroof broke on me the 2nd day I had the truck. I purchased it used so not sure what the extent of the use was before me. But after, almost daily in the summer I am opening the roof.

Reaction score
I only have 3000 some miles on my 2020 and the sunroof also just randomly stopped working. I can tilt it for the vent feature and can open/close the sunshade but the sunroof will not open. I noticed it yesterday when I went to open it and tried shutting the truck off, opening and closing the door then turning it back on but that didn't work. I tried again this morning when I left for work and it opened all the way then I closed it. Tried it again when I went to lunch and it initially did not open then all the sudden did after a few more presses of the button so I closed it. I was just trying it again on my way home and it would not work at all. Will be calling the dealership to have it looked at.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I only have 3000 some miles on my 2020 and the sunroof also just randomly stopped working. I can tilt it for the vent feature and can open/close the sunshade but the sunroof will not open. I noticed it yesterday when I went to open it and tried shutting the truck off, opening and closing the door then turning it back on but that didn't work. I tried again this morning when I left for work and it opened all the way then I closed it. Tried it again when I went to lunch and it initially did not open then all the sudden did after a few more presses of the button so I closed it. I was just trying it again on my way home and it would not work at all. Will be calling the dealership to have it looked at.

I apologize for the trouble, @JordanS_2020RamBTSEdition! If it would be of interest, our team is just a private message away and we are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

CNFrisch

Reaction score
The factory panoramic sunroof suddenly quit working in my 2020 RAM Laramie. It's been at the dealership for over six (6) days now and the cause of the problem remains unsolved. The sunroof motor(s) have been replaced with no avail. I think its time for RamCares to step in and help me out because I need to use my truck! It has just 3,950 miles on it!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The factory panoramic sunroof suddenly quit working in my 2020 RAM Laramie. It's been at the dealership for over six (6) days now and the cause of the problem remains unsolved. The sunroof motor(s) have been replaced with no avail. I think its time for RamCares to step in and help me out because I need to use my truck! It has just 3,950 miles on it!

I sincerely apologize for the trouble. Please do not hesitate to send us a private message with additional details, as we are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Reaction score
Thank you for the follow up, I will be on the lookout!

Mark
RamCares
So the dealership tried to pull codes but there were none. I explained to them that it happens after the sun has been beating down on it. Yesterday when I had it in at the shop, it was overcast and off and on rain all day so of course the sunroof was working. The dealership applied some graphite to the tracks and told me to call them if it still didn't work. Today I took it out to go to lunch and it had been sitting in my parking lot at work all morning, sunny and 70 degrees out. The sunroof would not open. Dealership now said they would order new weather stripping for it. Some how I just can't grasp the concept that weather stripping is bad on a brand new truck that only has 3000 miles on it.

Reaction score
My pano sunroof on my 2020 Big Horn stopped working. It will open up at night or in the morning when its cooler outside but if the sun has been beating down on it and heating the truck up, it won't open. these are not issues we should be having with brand new trucks, especially before their first oil change at that.

CNFrisch

Reaction score
I sincerely apologize for the trouble. Please do not hesitate to send us a private message with additional details, as we are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares
How does one send a private message to RamCares?

CNFrisch

Reaction score
My RAM service advisor called me this morning and said they now think the BCM (Body Control Module) is bad and they ordered a new one. Guess there was nothing left to replace in the sunroof system itself. They now belief its the BCM that refuses to send a power signal to the sunroof's switches.
I wonder if a defective BCM also might be the reason the USB illumination stays on all the time when the truck is locked up in the evening. This may be the reason why the battery drained dead after one week of being parked and not started. The UConnect website says power to the USB ports stays on only for one hour after the ignition switch is off. Mine usually stay on all the time but sometimes not.

Users who are viewing this thread