5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Successful Upgrade - 2022 8.4 Uconnect 5 with NAV to 12 Uconnect 5 [with pictures]

rbusbee

Reaction score
Good to know about that. At least it’s not some extra program change we don’t know about. How do you think a person should go about this if they do the same install and not mess up that wiring?
I spoke too soon. The thing started disconnecting again a few days later. Since then, I have upgraded my phone, and I took my truck in for service with the issue. The dealer replaced my entire radio module. It is still disconnecting. At this point, I think it's got to be a software issue, because I'm using a different radio (and I assume wifi module), and a totally new phone. I am hoping an update will come through and correct this issue.

Jamesalan98

Reaction score
I spoke too soon. The thing started disconnecting again a few days later. Since then, I have upgraded my phone, and I took my truck in for service with the issue. The dealer replaced my entire radio module. It is still disconnecting. At this point, I think it's got to be a software issue, because I'm using a different radio (and I assume wifi module), and a totally new phone. I am hoping an update will come through and correct this issue.
Ugh!

IronPatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
Completed bezel, screen and bottom module:
View attachment 146810

Next, new screen goes into truck. Only four (4) of the five (5) connecters will reconnect to the new screen and bezel. Presumably, that's because this section is gone:
View attachment 146812

Thus, this wire does not reconnect:
View attachment 146813

Once everything is connected, the bezel snaps back into the dash, and you put the two (2) screws back in up top.

Then, I connected to my truck with Alfaobd through the bypass cable. I took the kickplates off. If you have small hands, you might be able to do it without removing the kickplate.
View attachment 146814

The bypass cable attaches to these cables:
View attachment 146815

I connected the other end of the bypass cable to my MDX+ and, per the advice of tkabrick, I changed the following in Alfaobd:

View attachment 146818
[Note: it says "procedure failed" here, because this screen grab was taken before my bypass cable arrived. When I did this yesterday with the bypass cable, it said "successful," but I didn't save a pic.]

Then, I removed the bypass cable, reattached my kickplates, and started my truck. The radio and buttons worked immediately, but the screen didn't come on. I saw other people mention that happening on this forum, so I didn't freak out. I turned my truck off and restarted. After a few moments, the module recognized the screen and it turned on:
View attachment 146816

It's been about 24hrs, and it's worked fine ever since.
View attachment 146817

The only problem I've had is that my phone (attached via wifi) has been disconnecting and reconnecting for no apparent reason. Not sure what's causing this, or if it's even related.
I bought everything that you have listed to do this swap myself. Waiting on everything to arrive now. I was reading on a Facebook group where a guy had just did this upgrade on a ‘22 and he said he bought a repin harness. Your thread doesn’t say anything about that. I have the 8.4 factory nav UC5 already so besides the apphaobd change, this should be plug and play correct? I don’t need a repin harness this guy was talking about?

rbusbee

Reaction score
I bought everything that you have listed to do this swap myself. Waiting on everything to arrive now. I was reading on a Facebook group where a guy had just did this upgrade on a ‘22 and he said he bought a repin harness. Your thread doesn’t say anything about that. I have the 8.4 factory nav UC5 already so besides the apphaobd change, this should be plug and play correct? I don’t need a repin harness this guy was talking about?
I did not need a harness. It was just plug and play.

IronPatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
I did not need a harness. It was just plug and pl
Completed bezel, screen and bottom module:
View attachment 146810

Next, new screen goes into truck. Only four (4) of the five (5) connecters will reconnect to the new screen and bezel. Presumably, that's because this section is gone:
View attachment 146812

Thus, this wire does not reconnect:
View attachment 146813

Once everything is connected, the bezel snaps back into the dash, and you put the two (2) screws back in up top.

Then, I connected to my truck with Alfaobd through the bypass cable. I took the kickplates off. If you have small hands, you might be able to do it without removing the kickplate.
View attachment 146814

The bypass cable attaches to these cables:
View attachment 146815

I connected the other end of the bypass cable to my MDX+ and, per the advice of tkabrick, I changed the following in Alfaobd:

View attachment 146818
[Note: it says "procedure failed" here, because this screen grab was taken before my bypass cable arrived. When I did this yesterday with the bypass cable, it said "successful," but I didn't save a pic.]

Then, I removed the bypass cable, reattached my kickplates, and started my truck. The radio and buttons worked immediately, but the screen didn't come on. I saw other people mention that happening on this forum, so I didn't freak out. I turned my truck off and restarted. After a few moments, the module recognized the screen and it turned on:
View attachment 146816

It's been about 24hrs, and it's worked fine ever since.
View attachment 146817

The only problem I've had is that my phone (attached via wifi) has been disconnecting and reconnecting for no apparent reason. Not sure what's causing this, or if it's even related.
Ok, so this is the last time I’ll bother you. (Hopefully) The picture shows intergrated center stack rear for the alphaobd change and the there are two options on alphaobd, integrated center stack and integrated center stack rear. Which one is it? Again, I thank you for your time and help.

rbusbee

Reaction score
Ok, so this is the last time I’ll bother you. (Hopefully) The picture shows intergrated center stack rear for the alphaobd change and the there are two options on alphaobd, integrated center stack and integrated center stack rear. Which one is it? Again, I thank you for your time and help.
The picture was incorrect. I totally missed that. It's integrated center stack. I've updated the original post with a new pic. Thanks for the heads up!

IronPatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
I connected my wife's phone and had the same issue. So, it has to be the radio. When I changed it out, I needed 7 M5-0.8x12mm bolts. The only ones my local Lowes had were iron carriage bolts. I'm wondering if the iron is interfering with the signal. It's a long shot, but I've ordered the actual replacement screws from mopar. We'll see.

I do not. The one I ordered came with the mat. Check out:
They usually have more info about the parts than store.mopar.com. Looks like maybe 6MB16TX7AA
I wanted to thank you again for all the help and this thread! I installed everything today and alphaobd the bcm and everything works flawlessly so far!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 97

rbusbee

Reaction score
I wanted to thank you again for all the help and this thread! I installed everything today and alphaobd the bcm and everything works flawlessly so far!
That's great! Glad you're not having the wifi disconnect issues I am. I notice too, that every time I get a new phone update, the issue improves for a while. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️

Johnnieb21

Reaction score
So got everything installed tonight! Once it booted up after changing the settings in Alfaobd it immediately prompted to start an update. After that it turned right on. I did have to obtain the radio code from 'Carstereocode.com’ for $10 but they sent the code immediately and it worked

Only thing not working is the climate controls. For some reason the Rear button will turn on but nothing else will and I can’t control temperature. Letting it sit overnight and see what happens in the morning.

Luv2fly3

Reaction score
That's great! Glad you're not having the wifi disconnect issues I am. I notice too, that every time I get a new phone update, the issue improves for a while. Go figure. 🤷‍♂️
Greetings! I’m preparing to do this upgrade and really appreciate your write up. I have a 2022 UC5 8.4 w/nav so looks like a pretty straightforward swap.

I’m curious if you ever found a solution for your wifi connection issues?

timk1964

Reaction score
I am also very thankful for the details on the swap, as I have just purchased a 12.1 (found a 68526609AB made Oct 21, 2021) to replace my 8.4 on my 2022 with UC 5 and nav. From what I read, the one I bought is directly replaced by 68526597AC in 2022-23 but should fit my 2022 RAM Big Horn and is the right color bezel. I don't believe there was any changes between 21 and 22-23 in regards to the screen and it's functions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just need to examine the ALFAobd and OBD2 reader part of the instillation more closely. I have an OBD2 reader already and it's using DashCmd app on my phone. It's pretty comprehensive as far as engine management readings, engine codes, etc. But not sure how I would use this for what it's needed. Are there better instructions on Alfaobd and how to use it. The site linked is not user-friendly. :-( Very confusing. I can do the basic unplug and replug install part of this. Just didn't know if better to go to somewhere like American Radio to get the last aspect done- changing the readings to have screen function for A/C, etc.

rbusbee

Reaction score
Greetings! I’m preparing to do this upgrade and really appreciate your write up. I have a 2022 UC5 8.4 w/nav so looks like a pretty straightforward swap.

I’m curious if you ever found a solution for your wifi connection issues?
I am still having the disconnect/reconnect issue, but I think it's unrelated to this upgrade. I've seen others having the same problem with android auto.

I am also very thankful for the details on the swap, as I have just purchased a 12.1 (found a 68526609AB made Oct 21, 2021) to replace my 8.4 on my 2022 with UC 5 and nav. From what I read, the one I bought is directly replaced by 68526597AC in 2022-23 but should fit my 2022 RAM Big Horn and is the right color bezel. I don't believe there was any changes between 21 and 22-23 in regards to the screen and it's functions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just need to examine the ALFAobd and OBD2 reader part of the instillation more closely. I have an OBD2 reader already and it's using DashCmd app on my phone. It's pretty comprehensive as far as engine management readings, engine codes, etc. But not sure how I would use this for what it's needed. Are there better instructions on Alfaobd and how to use it. The site linked is not user-friendly. :-( Very confusing. I can do the basic unplug and replug install part of this. Just didn't know if better to go to somewhere like American Radio to get the last aspect done- changing the readings to have screen function for A/C, etc.
The changed to Uconnect5 with the '22 Rams. I can verify that the screen I listed (68526597AC) works with a '22 Big Horn with Nav. I do not know that the 68526609AB will work.

If your screen works and once you have the OBD connected using the bypass cable, you only need to make the one change in alfaobd that I mentioned - change cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack to “not enabled”

Aymen2h

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to do this install as well, I have a 22 ram 1500 truck with 8.4"screen without the nav. Reading thru the thread and to understand this right, I still need to buy a Uconnect 5 radio module with the 12"screen (with the bezel, harness and screws) to make it work? Or I can make it work with my existent radio module and just upgrade the screen?

thank you!

Synner

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to do this install as well, I have a 22 ram 1500 truck with 8.4"screen without the nav. Reading thru the thread and to understand this right, I still need to buy a Uconnect 5 radio module with the 12"screen (with the bezel, harness and screws) to make it work? Or I can make it work with my existent radio module and just upgrade the screen?

thank you!
I just did this last week, 22 ram 1500 8.4 non nav
I needed
12 inch screen
Uconnect 5 module
Screws and inserts to mount module
Bezel, make sure it has the rubber mat for the top usually gotta buy it separate
Your cigarette lighter plug and cover will swap over, you also swap over your bottom row of switches.
You will need the LVDS cable and an adapter make than likely which Jimmy 07 offers they look like the photo listed
PM me if you want details. I am currently waiting on the adapter from Jimmy07 before I can use it

You will also need the bypass security cable and Bluetooth module for the obd, and alfaobd program to make some changes to the computer of truck to read the new screen

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 53

Luv2fly3

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the little tray liner part number for the new bezel with the 12” screen? Just completed my upgrade and I forgot about ordering one of those. I did an 8.4 with Nav to the 12 and it was simple as can be. One tip, the power outlet on the top pushes through the opening, not back out of the opening. Just use a small screwdriver to pull the two plastic tabs away from the metal and it will push through.

But yeah, forgot the tray liner. Oops.

Nevermind, I re-read the thread and see the part I need is:

6MB16TX7AA

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all,

thank you!
Hi,
To discuss further on your concerns, please send us a private message with your VIN and present software version. We will be glad to help you!
Sylvia
Ram Cares

Shiloh3245

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to do the same swap this weekend, just waiting on the final part to come in. I was wondering, can you replace the applique from the 8.4" to 12.1" bezel?

Also, great write up explaining what's needed for the swap.

Synner

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to do the same swap this weekend, just waiting on the final part to come in. I was wondering, can you replace the applique from the 8.4" to 12.1" bezel?

Also, great write up explaining what's needed for the swap.
no you have to get a different one. the bezel you ordered should come with one and if it is wrong color to match you can order just the applique. But the 8.4 does NOT fit the 12.1 bezel.

Shiloh3245

Reaction score
no you have to get a different one. the bezel you ordered should come with one and if it is wrong color to match you can order just the applique. But the 8.4 does NOT fit the 12.1 bezel.
Sound good, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread