5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Successful Upgrade - 2022 8.4 Uconnect 5 with NAV to 12 Uconnect 5 [with pictures]

Dex17

Reaction score
Dex17, let us know how it goes. Will you be getting the "module/computer" if you by the 8.4 nav unit? If you do, I believe you can just run the 12" screen to the nav "module/computer" without the need for extra cables?
Yep the module will come with it. I have the screen and bezel all ready and the cables I got because I was trying to obtain a module that was directly for a 12”. Since those are impossible to get im left to try this way. But we’ll see.

Jamesalan98

Reaction score
I ordered my Bezel and it did not come with a rubber mat so I need to souce this part. After everyting was installed, I made the one change in Alpha OBD. When I started my car, the screen did not come up. I shut the truck off and it turned on without issue. Seems like this is a known issue. I tested everyting and this works as it should.

Are you having any issues with the phone connecting and disconnecting to carplay or android auto? The OP has listed the issues they have had since the install.

GTG2022

Reaction score
Jamesalan98, So far no issues that I've noticed. I have an android and I get text message notifications if that is any sign.

GTG2022

Reaction score
Dex17 not sure what screw size you would need for the bracket. I thought I took a picture of the nav unit but I did not. I know you will need the M5 0.8X12 mm bolts to connect the 12 inch screen to the new bezel. The part # from mopar is 6104172AA you will need 7 of them. My dealer only had 4 so I bought 3 other ones from Lowes. m508x12.PNG

Dex17

Reaction score
Dex17 not sure what screw size you would need for the bracket. I thought I took a picture of the nav unit but I did not. I know you will need the M5 0.8X12 mm bolts to connect the 12 inch screen to the new bezel. The part # from mopar is 6104172AA you will need 7 of them. My dealer only had 4 so I bought 3 other ones from Lowes. View attachment 149892
I actually found the mounting pins and screws needed for it so they are on order! Also I saw you post about those screws to mount the radio before and got the same ones and they worked perfectly so I appreciate it. Should have the module in mid next week so I’ll keep y’all updated how the install goes

rbusbee

Reaction score
I had been thinking about upgrading mine but I am afraid to considering all the bugs that uconnect 5 has. I been lucky that my system usually has been very good (probably from buying a Ram that was made later in the model year). I am a bit afraid of the system going chaotic if I make a change.
Okay. I seem to have figured out the problem. I believe the wifi antenna (and bluetooth antenna) connects on the back, bottom corner of the module via this interesting double-cable connector on the backside of the circled part here:
20221222_121142.jpg

All the wires are kind of crammed in there, and when I pushed the unit back in, I bent the antenna cables such that some the wiring was showing. Yesterday, I straightened the cables back out and carefully replaced the module so as not to re-bend the cables. So far, that has resolved the problem.

For anyone interested, the antenna itself is actually in the dash above the glove compartment, behind the piece of trim marked in orange here:
Antenna location.jpg
When I was troubleshooting my issue, I also checked to make sure the wires on the antenna-side were secure.

rbusbee

Reaction score
Dex17 not sure what screw size you would need for the bracket. I thought I took a picture of the nav unit but I did not. I know you will need the M5 0.8X12 mm bolts to connect the 12 inch screen to the new bezel. The part # from mopar is 6104172AA you will need 7 of them. My dealer only had 4 so I bought 3 other ones from Lowes. View attachment 149892
Thanks for the info! I updated the original post to reflect the correct part number.

Dex17

Reaction score
So one thing im having trouble finding is the square inserts that go into the square holes that connect the module to the body. Anyone know the part number for them? My current setup has the module integrated into the bezel so the truck has the square holes but no nuts there for the screws. I ordered a bunch but they were too big

GTG2022

Reaction score
So one thing im having trouble finding is the square inserts that go into the square holes that connect the module to the body. Anyone know the part number for them? My current setup has the module integrated into the bezel so the truck has the square holes but no nuts there for the screws. I ordered a bunch but they were too big
Can you take a pic of the square hole? I'm going to take mine apart so I can run my dashcam cord to the lighter/12 volt power. I can see if there are any part numbers... it's worth a try.:)

Dex17

Reaction score
Can you take a pic of the square hole? I'm going to take mine apart so I can run my dashcam cord to the lighter/12 volt power. I can see if there are any part numbers... it's worth a try.:)
So got this off a video. The tabs are circled in the the pic and are already installed but that’s what they look like.

Attachments

• 8DBD3C5E-E61E-44BE-9C1F-F018450935DD.jpeg
    8DBD3C5E-E61E-44BE-9C1F-F018450935DD.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 71

Dex17

Reaction score
So got the new module today. The picture of it is attached below and what is circled is something my current non nav module doesn’t have (also pictured) so there’s no wiring for it. Every video I’ve seen has something attaching to this. Is it fine to leave unplugged? I just don’t want to get everything in there for it not to work because of that.

I also got the necessary adapter harnesses from Jimmy

Attachments

• 42B469E3-A100-4ABD-9D26-48966DF279CB.jpeg
    42B469E3-A100-4ABD-9D26-48966DF279CB.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 607C2EDB-AE9C-470D-A503-65558AF60DAE.jpeg
    607C2EDB-AE9C-470D-A503-65558AF60DAE.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

GTG2022

Reaction score
So got the new module today. The picture of it is attached below and what is circled is something my current non nav module doesn’t have (also pictured) so there’s no wiring for it. Every video I’ve seen has something attaching to this. Is it fine to leave unplugged? I just don’t want to get everything in there for it not to work because of that.

I also got the necessary adapter harnesses from Jimmy
Since that is an HK radio unit, it definitly looks different than mine. I have the base unit and it looks exactly like the pics the rbusbee posted in the first post.

Dex17

Reaction score
So got everything installed tonight! Once it booted up after changing the settings in Alfaobd it immediately prompted to start an update. After that it turned right on. I did have to obtain the radio code from 'Carstereocode.com’ for $10 but they sent the code immediately and it worked

Only thing not working is the climate controls. For some reason the Rear button will turn on but nothing else will and I can’t control temperature. Letting it sit overnight and see what happens in the morning.

Jamesalan98

Reaction score
Okay. I seem to have figured out the problem. I believe the wifi antenna (and bluetooth antenna) connects on the back, bottom corner of the module via this interesting double-cable connector on the backside of the circled part here:
View attachment 150256

All the wires are kind of crammed in there, and when I pushed the unit back in, I bent the antenna cables such that some the wiring was showing. Yesterday, I straightened the cables back out and carefully replaced the module so as not to re-bend the cables. So far, that has resolved the problem.

For anyone interested, the antenna itself is actually in the dash above the glove compartment, behind the piece of trim marked in orange here:
View attachment 150257
When I was troubleshooting my issue, I also checked to make sure the wires on the antenna-side were secure.

Good to know about that. At least it’s not some extra program change we don’t know about. How do you think a person should go about this if they do the same install and not mess up that wiring?

rbusbee

Reaction score
I replaced the "applique" for the bezel I ordered on ebay to match the old one from my 8.4 bezel (and the rest of my interior). I posted the part numbers in one of the original posts:

I almost forgot to include the (very limited) information I was able to find regarding 12in bezels. There's probably a better resource on this forum. I collected this through a secondary parts dealer's website. So, I cannot vouch for it's accuracy.

Part No.ScreenColorBadgeInterior Accents
6EZ155X9AE
12.0​
BlackBlack
6UV463XLAB
12.0​
6UV481X7AB
12.0​
BlackSport/Rebel
6UV483XRAB
12.0​
Black/RedSport/Rebel
6WQ606X9AA
12.0​
Black
6WQ641A1AA
12.0​
BlackCarbon Fiber
7BT351AHAA
12.0​
BlackBig Horn/Lone StarBlack Olive Ash Burl
7BU482N1AA
12.0​
Mountain Brown/Lt. Frost Beige
7CY161XDAA
12.0​
Black/TRX RedSerialized Dash Plaque
7DW912X7AA
12.0​
BlackGT Interior Theme
7JJ142A1AA
12.0​
Carbon FiberOrange Seat Insert?

UPDATE: You can just order the replacement accent piece. Mopar calls it the "Applique."

68469683AA looks like this:
View attachment 154577
Closeup of design:
View attachment 154578

68489746AA is the matte black:
View attachment 154579

View attachment 154580

View attachment 154581

68469682AA (Metal Plate):
View attachment 154582

68576214A (wood grain):
View attachment 154585

If anybody has any corrections for the part numbers, let know. I am certain the first two are correct (I ordered both). My truck came with the matte black, and the upgrade I got on ebay came with the glossy, 68469683AA. The matte black, 68469683AA, is actually the cheapest, but I like it better, and it matches the rest of my interior.

Users who are viewing this thread