5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Successful Upgrade - 2022 8.4 Uconnect 5 with NAV to 12 Uconnect 5 [with pictures]

rbusbee

Reaction score
Just finished upgrading my 8.4 screen to a 12. I got a lot of information from this forum. So, I want to return the favor.

In particular, this thread is about upgrading 2022 8.4 to 12:
I considered just posting this in that thread, but I figured since it's going to be a long, specific how-to on UC5 w/Nav, it would be easier to find as its own thread than on page 3 of another thread.

My truck came with the 8.4 Uconnect 5 with navigation. This is important, because the 8.4 w/Nav and the 12 use the same module (computer). If you have the 8.4 w/o Nav, I believe you will have to purchase a new module and probably make more changes in Alfaobd than I did.​

I still had to get a bunch of stuff:
  • I ordered my screen directly through mopar, part no. 68526597AC. [link]
    • I noticed when you order, the part comes from a dealer service center, and the prices vary depending on which service center it's shipped from. I'm in south Georgia, but I ended up ordering mine from Atlanta because it was about $50 cheaper.
  • I found a 12in bezel on ebay for $250, part no. 6EZ155X9AE
    • There's about a dozen different part no. for the 12in bezel. I'll post them below.
    • I picked the one I did because the color in the picture matched my interior, and it was inexpensive. I wasn't sure this was going to work. So, I was being cautious with my money. If I had known for sure this would work, I might have splurged for the one direct from mopar with the carbon fiber accent, which is what I had on my 8.4 bezel.
  • Seven (7) M5-0.8x12mm bolts.
    • I just got screws from Lowes. I believe the ones from mopar are part no. 06104172AA. [link]
  • Android Tablet or Windows Laptop
    • I just used an old android device I had lying around.
  • Alfaobd [link]
  • OBD2 reader
    • I got the OBDLink MX+. [link] It's bluetooth and it works.
  • Security Module Bypass
    • Just search amazon for "Chrysler 12+8 adapter." [link]
When I started:
20221218_155019.jpg

Replacement Bezel:
20221218_154930.jpg

Replacement screen:
20221218_154935.jpg

The screen attaches to the bezel with the five (5) bolts:
20221220_154232.jpg

20221220_154315.jpg

Next, I removed the old screen and bezel. There are two (2) screws at the top:
20221222_120951.jpg

It's just held in with clips and those two screws. So, after the screws are out, you pull. The first time, I had to pull HARD.
20221222_121142.jpg

Once it's out, there are five (5) wires to disconnect:
20221222_121202.jpg

Then, you have to remove the bottom module from the old bezel:
20221218_155019 (2).jpg

It's attached with two (2) screws and four (4) clips:
20221222_121719.jpg

It goes into the new bezel exactly the same way.

[I can only upload ten (10) images per post. So, I'll continue this below.]​

Last edited:

rbusbee

Reaction score
Completed bezel, screen and bottom module:
20221222_122347.jpg

Next, new screen goes into truck. Only four (4) of the five (5) connecters will reconnect to the new screen and bezel. Presumably, that's because this section is gone:
20221218_155019 (3).jpg

Thus, this wire does not reconnect:
20221222_121202 (2).jpg

Once everything is connected, the bezel snaps back into the dash, and you put the two (2) screws back in up top.

Then, I connected to my truck with Alfaobd through the bypass cable. I took the kickplates off. If you have small hands, you might be able to do it without removing the kickplate.
20221222_132004.jpg

The bypass cable attaches to these cables:
20221222_132126.jpg

I connected the other end of the bypass cable to my MDX+ and, per the advice of tkabrick, I changed the following in Alfaobd:
It's that easy. Only one setting in Alfaobd needs to be changed, cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack to “not enabled”. I just did this upgrade last week and it works great now

ICS.jpg

[Note: it says "procedure failed" here, because this screen grab was taken before my bypass cable arrived. When I did this yesterday with the bypass cable, it said "successful," but I didn't save a pic.]

Then, I removed the bypass cable, reattached my kickplates, and started my truck. The radio and buttons worked immediately, but the screen didn't come on. I saw other people mention that happening on this forum, so I didn't freak out. I turned my truck off and restarted. After a few moments, the module recognized the screen and it turned on:
20221222_132614.jpg

It's been about 24hrs, and it's worked fine ever since.
20221222_150506.jpg

The only problem I've had is that my phone (attached via wifi) has been disconnecting and reconnecting for no apparent reason. Not sure what's causing this, or if it's even related.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221217-223841.png
    Screenshot_20221217-223841.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

rbusbee

Reaction score
I almost forgot to include the (very limited) information I was able to find regarding 12in bezels. There's probably a better resource on this forum. I collected this through a secondary parts dealer's website. So, I cannot vouch for it's accuracy.

Part No.ScreenColorBadgeInterior Accents
6EZ155X9AE
12.0​
BlackBlack
6UV463XLAB
12.0​
6UV481X7AB
12.0​
BlackSport/Rebel
6UV483XRAB
12.0​
Black/RedSport/Rebel
6WQ606X9AA
12.0​
Black
6WQ641A1AA
12.0​
BlackCarbon Fiber
7BT351AHAA
12.0​
BlackBig Horn/Lone StarBlack Olive Ash Burl
7BU482N1AA
12.0​
Mountain Brown/Lt. Frost Beige
7CY161XDAA
12.0​
Black/TRX RedSerialized Dash Plaque
7DW912X7AA
12.0​
BlackGT Interior Theme
7JJ142A1AA
12.0​
Carbon FiberOrange Seat Insert?

UPDATE: You can just order the replacement accent piece. Mopar calls it the "Applique."

68469683AA looks like this:
68469683AA detail.jpg
Closeup of design:
68469683AA.jpg

68489746AA is the matte black:
68489746AA.jpg

68489746AA(2).jpg

68489746AA detail.jpg

68469682AA (Metal Plate):
68469682AA.jpg

68576214A (wood grain):
s-l1600 (1).jpg

If anybody has any corrections for the part numbers, let know. I am certain the first two are correct (I ordered both). My truck came with the matte black, and the upgrade I got on ebay came with the glossy, 68469683AA. The matte black, 68469683AA, is actually the cheapest, but I like it better, and it matches the rest of my interior.

Last edited:

admmck

Reaction score
Great information and write-up!

I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie with 8.4 non-Nav, but with wired or wireless Android Auto. I have an integrated trailer brake controller on the bottom also. Any concerns with upgrading to the 12 in WITH NAV? Might be a dumb question: --> Do need I even NAV if it has wireless Android Auto? Is there a separate NAV system than the Android Auto or Apple Carplay that comes stock (in the 8.4 or 12)? I also do not have lane assist or adaptable cruise control. Can I add surround cameras? Can I add adaptable cruise control?

Any additional parts or considerations or advice I should know? Thanks for any input in advance!

rbusbee

Reaction score
What if you have heated seats and ventilated seats ?
I don't know. I would imagine that would be controlled through the screen, but I can't say for sure. I could be that you need a specific bezel.

Great information and write-up!

I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie with 8.4 non-Nav, but with wired or wireless Android Auto. I have an integrated trailer brake controller on the bottom also. Any concerns with upgrading to the 12 in WITH NAV? Might be a dumb question: --> Do need I even NAV if it has wireless Android Auto? Is there a separate NAV system than the Android Auto or Apple Carplay that comes stock (in the 8.4 or 12)? I also do not have lane assist or adaptable cruise control. Can I add surround cameras? Can I add adaptable cruise control?

Any additional parts or considerations or advice I should know? Thanks for any input in advance!
Yes. I didn't have to swap my module (basically the radio's computer), because the 12in screen and 8.4 with Nav use the same module. I don't think there's an option to do 12in screen non-nav.

The module is available online, and physically swapping the module would be easy enough. It's right behind the bezel and has just two screws. I think the catch would be Alfaobd, potentially your SiriousXM subscription, if you have one, and installing a the Nav antenna.

Surround cameras are another issue entirely. They have their own module, and it looks like you've got to run wiring from the grill, as well as possibly from the mirrors and the tailgate. (the rear camera is different for surround view than the backup camera). I'm still looking into this.

I actually just downloaded the service materials for the surround view system from Mopar/TechAuthority over the weekend. I would be happy to share the pdfs with anyone who wants them. I'm sure there's people on this forum way more competent than me to figure those things out.

rbusbee

Reaction score
Here's a thread on the surround view system:

Jamesalan98

Reaction score
The only problem I've had is that my phone (attached via wifi) has been disconnecting and reconnecting for no apparent reason. Not sure what's causing this, or if it's even related.
Are you still having the phone disconnecting and reconnecting still?

Dex17

Reaction score
I don't know. I would imagine that would be controlled through the screen, but I can't say for sure. I could be that you need a specific bezel.

Yes. I didn't have to swap my module (basically the radio's computer), because the 12in screen and 8.4 with Nav use the same module. I don't think there's an option to do 12in screen non-nav.

The module is available online, and physically swapping the module would be easy enough. It's right behind the bezel and has just two screws. I think the catch would be Alfaobd, potentially your SiriousXM subscription, if you have one, and installing a the Nav antenna.

Surround cameras are another issue entirely. They have their own module, and it looks like you've got to run wiring from the grill, as well as possibly from the mirrors and the tailgate. (the rear camera is different for surround view than the backup camera). I'm still looking into this.

I actually just downloaded the service materials for the surround view system from Mopar/TechAuthority over the weekend. I would be happy to share the pdfs with anyone who wants them. I'm sure there's people on this forum way more competent than me to figure those things out.
you can upgrade from a 8.4 non nav to a 12 nav just need a different module and some extra cables

rbusbee

Reaction score
Are you still having the phone disconnecting and reconnecting still?
I am. It's the damndest thing. Everything else works fine. The disconnection issue comes and goes. I'm going to connect my wife's phone, and see I have the same issue with her device. Then, I can at least narrow down whether it's my phone or the radio.

Jamesalan98

Reaction score
I am. It's the damndest thing. Everything else works fine. The disconnection issue comes and goes. I'm going to connect my wife's phone, and see I have the same issue with her device. Then, I can at least narrow down whether it's my phone or the radio.
I had been thinking about upgrading mine but I am afraid to considering all the bugs that uconnect 5 has. I been lucky that my system usually has been very good (probably from buying a Ram that was made later in the model year). I am a bit afraid of the system going chaotic if I make a change.

Dex17

Reaction score
Do you happen to know the part number for the mat cover that goes on top of the bezel (that covers the two screws)? Just found out the mat cover I have on my existing 8.4 bezel doesn’t fit

rbusbee

Reaction score
I had been thinking about upgrading mine but I am afraid to considering all the bugs that uconnect 5 has. I been lucky that my system usually has been very good (probably from buying a Ram that was made later in the model year). I am a bit afraid of the system going chaotic if I make a change.
I connected my wife's phone and had the same issue. So, it has to be the radio. When I changed it out, I needed 7 M5-0.8x12mm bolts. The only ones my local Lowes had were iron carriage bolts. I'm wondering if the iron is interfering with the signal. It's a long shot, but I've ordered the actual replacement screws from mopar. We'll see.
Do you happen to know the part number for the mat cover that goes on top of the bezel (that covers the two screws)? Just found out the mat cover I have on my existing 8.4 bezel doesn’t fit
I do not. The one I ordered came with the mat. Check out:
They usually have more info about the parts than store.mopar.com. Looks like maybe 6MB16TX7AA

Dex17

Reaction score
68504644AE. I’ve also seen 68504644AF which has replaced 68504644AE tho idk what the difference is. Tho I doubt there is any difference. Impossible to get your hands on one either way now though

GTG2022

Reaction score
Thank you Rbusbee for creating a new thread. Like the OP I had a 2022 Bighorn with 8.4" screen, Uconnect 5 with Navigation. I just completed this upgrade today. Parts came in and I was able to complete this in about an hour. The parts I used were:

68526597AC Center Stack Controls.

6511127AA Screws. But these did not fit. I had to get 6104172AA.

6EZ155X9AE Bezel. This had the carbon fiber look on the top (Mine originally had a grey pattern on the top but I like this one much better).

Alpha OBD change - Cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack set to Disabled.

I ordered my Bezel and it did not come with a rubber mat so I need to souce this part. After everyting was installed, I made the one change in Alpha OBD. When I started my car, the screen did not come up. I shut the truck off and it turned on without issue. Seems like this is a known issue. I tested everyting and this works as it should.

Last edited:

Dex17

Reaction score
Thank you Rbusbee for creating a new thread. Like the OP I had a 2022 Bighorn with 8.4" screen, Uconnect 5 with Navigation. I just completed this upgrade today. Parts came in and I was able to complete this in about an hour. The parts I used were:

68526597AC Center Stack Controls.

6511127AA Screws. But these did not fit. I had to get 01610 4172 AA.

6EZ155X9AE Bezel. This had the carbon fiber look on the top (Mine originally had a grey pattern on the top but I like this one much better).

Alpha OBD change - Cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack set to Disabled.

I ordered my Bezel and it did not come with a rubber mat so I need to souce this part. After everyting was installed, I made the one change in Alpha OBD. When I started my car, the screen did not come up. I shut the truck off and it turned on without issue. Seems like this is a known issue. I tested everyting and this works as it should.
Awesome. Good to know it’s a simple change in AlphaOBD. Instead of finding a module specifically for the 12” I have a chance to buy a 8.4 Module w/Nav to replace my 8.4 non nav unit for the 12” (have the extra cables needed that I got from Jimmy) so here’s hoping it’ll work

GTG2022

Reaction score
Dex17, let us know how it goes. Will you be getting the "module/computer" if you by the 8.4 nav unit? If you do, I believe you can just run the 12" screen to the nav "module/computer" without the need for extra cables?

Users who are viewing this thread