5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stolen Rebel in Ontario

U

User_113186

Sadly my Rebel (2021, new to me/ Oct 21/2022) was stolen right off the driveway of my home. I was aware of some recent thefts in the area. I had blocked my VIN and placed my keys in pouches designed to stop the signal. Seems if they want your truck they will get it.

Step 1: Use a long wire tool to pull your horn wire. (Suggesting you add a second horn to that wire in an area out of sight)

Step 2: Scan the area to connect to your truck.

Step 3: Drive away

Obviously FCA needs to do something about this and it would have been nice if my insurance company sent out a notice about the rise in thefts of their insureds vehicle. Saves them money as well.

Not sure I can come close to replacing the exact truck with what I have seen available on the market. Very disappointing. My Rebel was loaded with everything less a sunroof.
image1.jpeg

This is a video on YouTube showing what happens and how fast. (*Not my video)

YouTube Video/Red Rebel

I suggest you keep an eye out and take the necessary precautions to safe guard your property. They are running rampant in Ontario, police say there are gangs roaming the neighborhood's on the prowl looking to steal your trucks. Could be coming to your area soon enough.

raygun9

Reaction score
This is wild... sorry man.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thats not cool, sorry

really hope you will be able to find a nice new one, dealer are starting to receive some 2023..

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. I saw a different video whee the entire thing was shown and they got away in 7 minutes. I had my Ravelco (a starter interrupter) installed because of that.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Well, well, well, so it's easier to steal a modern RAM than an old keyed locked steering column, who'd have thought?

I watched the YouTube video, here's my interpretation:

They cut the horn wire, easy to do. They then jimmied the key lock on the driver's door and gained access to the vehicle but set off the alarm. At this point they're messing with something inside the truck. The OBD port wouldn't gain much without a SGW bypass which would be much easier to install with the driver's door open. My guess is that they pulled the Start/Stop button and either disabled or bypassed the security hardware embedded in it, maybe as simple as jumping two wires on the back of the switch.

This theory can be tested by opening a locked truck with the emergency key thus setting off the alarm. Then step in and start the truck and see if the alarm goes off.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, well, well, so it's easier to steal a modern RAM than an old keyed locked steering column, who'd have thought?

I watched the YouTube video, here's my interpretation:

They cut the horn wire, easy to do. They then jimmied the key lock on the driver's door and gained access to the vehicle but set off the alarm. At this point they're messing with something inside the truck. The OBD port wouldn't gain much without a SGW bypass which would be much easier to install with the driver's door open. My guess is that they pulled the Start/Stop button and either disabled or bypassed the security hardware embedded in it, maybe as simple as jumping two wires on the back of the switch.

This theory can be tested by opening a locked truck with the emergency key thus setting off the alarm. Then step in and start the truck and see if the alarm goes off.
All they did was program a new fob to the truck. That’s what he was messing with, was plugging the fob programmer in. You don’t really see him go down to bypass the gateway, so he probably just popped out the headlight switch panel (no tools needed), and plugged straight into the canbus block.
Once the new fob is programmed, press unlock to shut off the alarm, and start the truck.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that happened to you. I’ve been worrying about that myself lately which is why I got the Ravelco installed the other day. I had one on my diesel truck, but I also had my horn bypassed to my train horns. That way if the alarm went off, the thieves would most likely leave a DNA sample behind. Those things were loud.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep. Too bad FCA doesn't invent some down and dirty device that thieves struggle to overcome. Maybe a little metal piece with notches in it that would allow you to activate a switch or something. They could call it "The Key". It could be lightweight and easy to carry. It might catch on.

Put the wiring in metal conduit and boxes so it is not easily accessible. Something. Theft can really be a matter of speed and ease. Yes it would make things a pain to work on but hey, look at where they put the oil filter... Heck I had a 4 banger Nissan that needed the top of the intake removed to change spark plugs. How crazy was that? Make it harder to steal and they won't be stolen (as much).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Too bad FCA doesn't invent some down and dirty device that thieves struggle to overcome. Maybe a little metal piece with notches in it that would allow you to activate a switch or something. They could call it "The Key". It could be lightweight and easy to carry. It might catch on.

Put the wiring in metal conduit and boxes so it is not easily accessible. Something. Theft can really be a matter of speed and ease. Yes it would make things a pain to work on but hey, look at where they put the oil filter... Heck I had a 4 banger Nissan that needed the top of the intake removed to change spark plugs. How crazy was that? Make it harder to steal and they won't be stolen (as much).
Don't be delusional and think having a key start ignition would make one bit of difference on how easily a good thief can steal a car. Cars have been getting stolen long before the use of push button start.

ShortStack

Reaction score
There is still only one way to keep the Gen-whatever they call themselves from stealing a car/truck. Manual Transmission. You should search the videos on YouTube that show
the number of would be thieves waling away even with the doors unlocked.

The truck is better than them breaking into the house. But it really does suck.

I'm a firm believer in "What goes around, comes around." Did you get any video of the incident ?

U

User_113186

Had 2 cameras out front. Can't identify the perp with his hoodie on. Next truck will be a challenge for the next attempt. Just a nuisance for remote start etc,

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ummmmm, where is the advantage for FCA? Spend more money on building a vehicle, or just simply sell more vehicles to replace the stolen ones? I’m sure FCA is more interested in selling more vehicles. They don’t care why you’re there to buy one, as long as you do. This holds true for all brands.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ummmmm, where is the advantage for FCA? Spend more money on building a vehicle, or just simply sell more vehicles to replace the stolen ones? I’m sure FCA is more interested in selling more vehicles. They don’t care why you’re there to buy one, as long as you do. This holds true for all brands.
But if the vehicle is well known to be easy to steal, less people will buy one

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t know if that really plays into it. The Honda Accord was, at one time, the most stolen vehicle on the planet, and it was still their best seller.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Don't be delusional and think having a key start ignition would make one bit of difference on how easily a good thief can steal a car. Cars have been getting stolen long before the use of push button start.
Keep up with the times. Could the new techno-thief steal an old kickstart panhead? Not without a trailer. It is slower to overcome a key than a code if you harden the wiring to the key.

Will it stop all theft? Don't be absurd. Who on earth would think that? Taking longer to steal makes a target less likely. That is the point of any theft protection. Safes are just rated to how long it takes to break into them, not on them being unbreakable. Hot wiring a car is not a 10 second whammy like on the 70's TV shows, yet using a device that copies electronic signals seems simplistic.

Yes a GOOD thief could still steal your car but now any crackerjack punk that knows his way around electronics can.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Keep up with the times. Could the new techno-thief steal an old kickstart panhead? Not without a trailer. It is slower to overcome a key than a code if you harden the wiring to the key.

Will it stop all theft? Don't be absurd. Who on earth would think that? Taking longer to steal makes a target less likely. That is the point of any theft protection. Safes are just rated to how long it takes to break into them, not on them being unbreakable. Hot wiring a car is not a 10 second whammy like on the 70's TV shows, yet using a device that copies electronic signals seems simplistic.

Yes a GOOD thief could still steal your car but now any crackerjack punk that knows his way around electronics can.
Having had a new fob programmed by a locksmith with the proper tools, it's not a quick 10 second job. Takes a few minutes to get it done. Unless there is some anti-theft devices installed on a key start ig ition, it doesn't take any more time to defeat them

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Hot wiring a car is not a 10 second whammy like on the 70's TV shows, yet using a device that copies electronic signals seems simplistic.

Maybe not 10 seconds but a lot faster than it took to steal that Ram in the video. I parked my 1993 Nissan pickup about 50 yards from the front door of a Best Buy. I walked in, asked the guy at the cell phone counter a question and walked out. Total time round trip from/to my truck was about 3 minutes...my truck was gone. I locked the doors, but my truck didn't have an alarm.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have had 23 2019-2022 1500’s stolen in our city past 3 weeks. Same manner. Many more in the region and across Ontario. It’s an organized criminal ring. Trucks are going overseas on containers. I’ve ended up parking another car in front of my ram until stellantis comes up with a fix - if they ever do.

Users who are viewing this thread