5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Speaker Help

lasstss

Reaction score
How did you know which to soder to? Tested the speakers?

Also, do you know if the ANC issues (low frequency drone) rears its head if any speaker in the system is flipped, or is it just the 6x9s?

Use a c cell battery & 2 wires Touch to the speaker connections. One way it will move out, the other will move in. + to + i think moves out. If you get it wrong the ANC is relentless! I tried it. I should have took a photo. I have to travel this week. I will try and get a pic next week. of what I did.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Mines not relentless. Only at 1500-1800 rpms which makes me believe it's similar to the issues these people are having.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/loud-rumbling-revving-noise.2100/page-4

I was pretty particular about matching up the wiring to what the factory had and swapping harness pins as necessary. Used a 9v battery on every speaker. Marked the positive and made sure the harness adapter wires matched.

I think those that swapped speakers and are hearing it now within that rpm range are probably hearing because of the better speakers being able to reproduce that frequency. It's down around 40hz.

Or at least that may be the reason in some of the speaker installer's situations. Way too ironic that people are having the exact issue with stock systems right off the lot.

lasstss

Reaction score
Can you use a multimeter to check the speakers polarity?
NO, its a passive element. Usually the positive is a larger terminal or its marked. Typically when putting a battery across the terminals when the + is connected to the + of the speaker the cone will move away from the frame.

lasstss

Reaction score
How did you know which to soder to? Tested the speakers?

Also, do you know if the ANC issues (low frequency drone) rears its head if any speaker in the system is flipped, or is it just the 6x9s?

On the right door the green wire has a purple tracer. That is the positive, however on the ram they flipped the connection. they have the cones firing inwards so this wire actually connects to the negative of the speaker. I don't think the tweeters are part of the ANC, the frequencies are too high.
More than likely its the door speakers. I am not positive on this but it would make sense.
To be sure, if you replace the speakers. Drive it with no door panels to make sure you have it right. (no drone) . You don't want to have to keep pulling them off. Its difficult. I have a base Bighorn I have no idea what is in the other trucks. If you connect an ohm meter to the speaker door connector with moderate volume, you can actually read the voltage. If the meter leads are crossed it will read negative. I hope this makes sense.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the right door the green wire has a purple tracer. That is the positive, however on the ram they flipped the connection. they have the cones firing inwards so this wire actually connects to the negative of the speaker. I don't think the tweeters are part of the ANC, the frequencies are too high.
More than likely its the door speakers. I am not positive on this but it would make sense.
To be sure, if you replace the speakers. Drive it with no door panels to make sure you have it right. (no drone) . You don't want to have to keep pulling them off. Its difficult. I have a base Bighorn I have no idea what is in the other trucks. If you connect an ohm meter to the speaker door connector with moderate volume, you can actually read the voltage. If the meter leads are crossed it will read negative. I hope this makes sense.

So essentially they are wired out of phase on the doors. So when I pulled the 6x9, tested the speaker for it's + terminal, determined which side of the factory harness that terminal was on, and then made sure to match them up to the adapter harness and speakers, i did it wrong?

Is the wiring schematic the same for the HK?

I have to go back in anyway because I'm going to install component 6x9s instead of 3 way. So I'll check it all again.

What I find interesting though is the multiple cases of owners having ANC drone problems with factory set ups untouched off the lot. Makes me wonder if what I'm hearing was already there anyway and I just didn't notice it.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Keep us updated on how you like the replacement components. I’m actually thinking the same thing..afraid I’ll lose what little bass there is with 2 or 3-way.

lasstss

Reaction score
So essentially they are wired out of phase on the doors. So when I pulled the 6x9, tested the speaker for it's + terminal, determined which side of the factory harness that terminal was on, and then made sure to match them up to the adapter harness and speakers, i did it wrong?

Is the wiring schematic the same for the HK?

I have to go back in anyway because I'm going to install component 6x9s instead of 3 way. So I'll check it all again.

What I find interesting though is the multiple cases of owners having ANC drone problems with factory set ups untouched off the lot. Makes me wonder if what I'm hearing was already there anyway and I just didn't notice it.

I had trouble when I got the truck for 2 weeks. It finally settled down. I guess it learns? If you misphase any one speaker the ANC will let you know, its an annoying low freq hum. Like I said drive it after the change with door panels off so that you dont have to remove again.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's pretty sporadic on mine and seems to be quite a bit less the last couple days. So maybe it does learn like you said.

Or maybe I just have the stereo too loud...

lasstss

Reaction score
It's pretty sporadic on mine and seems to be quite a bit less the last couple days. So maybe it does learn like you said.

Or maybe I just have the stereo too loud...

Here is how I rigged the sockets. Just took them off the old speakers & re soldered them to the new ones.

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 111

StealthTech6

Reaction score
I just picked up Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx from CrutchField, which includes the Metra 72-7902 wires. Can anyone confirm if this is just plug and play or if I need to flip wires? Reading through this read I'm unsure.

Bighorn with standard speakers.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
I just picked up Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx from CrutchField, which includes the Metra 72-7902 wires. Can anyone confirm if this is just plug and play or if I need to flip wires? Reading through this read I'm unsure.

That exact setup was plug and play in my Bighorn. Took about 10 minutes start to finish. A tip, when you take the old speaker out, using blue masking tape to to tape the existing wires to the dash so they dont drop in the speaker hole. Make the connections, take the tape off and drop the new speaker in.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The three dash speaker are plug and play.

StealthTech6

Reaction score
That exact setup was plug and play in my Bighorn. Took about 10 minutes start to finish. A tip, when you take the old speaker out, using blue masking tape to to tape the existing wires to the dash so they dont drop in the speaker hole. Make the connections, take the tape off and drop the new speaker in.
Fantastic idea on the tape! I'll be sure to use that. Thanks for confirming plug-n-play

skol

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I’m still confused a bit and really not savvy with upgrading speakers. I have the alpine unit with non nav 8.4. I would like to only upgrade my dash speakers. Specifically these:

I’ve read a lot about checking polarity and issues with the ANC. My question is this something I need to be concerned with when replacing the dash speakers or is it just when I replace all speakers?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I’m still confused a bit and really not savvy with upgrading speakers. I have the alpine unit with non nav 8.4. I would like to only upgrade my dash speakers. Specifically these:

I’ve read a lot about checking polarity and issues with the ANC. My question is this something I need to be concerned with when replacing the dash speakers or is it just when I replace all speakers?

If you are just doing the dash speakers you should be fine with the above. Very simple swap. If you purchase from Crutchfield and enter your truck details, they will include the proper metra harnesses in your shopping cart (for free). Plug and play. Easy.

Those infinity’s come with capacitors (bass blockers) that if you wanted to use you would have to splice/solder them inline with the metra harnesses. Some people do it, some don’t. The bass blockers purpose are to block low freqs (bass) from passing to those small dash speakers and overpowering them (sounding like garbage or blowing them). But since you have the alpine, I believe the amp in that system handles the crossovers (so the amp automatically blocks low bass freqs from going to those dash speakers)......so, you shouldn’t have to worry about using the bass blockers.

Since you have the 9 speaker system you have 3 dash speakers because you have a center channel. So you will have to either order two sets of speakers and have an extra, which you can post for sale in the buy/sell section, or you can check to see if anyone here has an extra they are selling since they did the same thing you are doing.

skol

Reaction score
If you are just doing the dash speakers you should be fine with the above. Very simple swap. If you purchase from Crutchfield and enter your truck details, they will include the proper metra harnesses in your shopping cart (for free). Plug and play. Easy.

Those infinity’s come with capacitors (bass blockers) that if you wanted to use you would have to splice/solder them inline with the metra harnesses. Some people do it, some don’t. The bass blockers purpose are to block low freqs (bass) from passing to those small dash speakers and overpowering them (sounding like garbage or blowing them). But since you have the alpine, I believe the amp in that system handles the crossovers (so the amp automatically blocks low bass freqs from going to those dash speakers)......so, you shouldn’t have to worry about using the bass blockers.

Since you have the 9 speaker system you have 3 dash speakers because you have a center channel. So you will have to either order two sets of speakers and have an extra, which you can post for sale in the buy/sell section, or you can check to see if anyone here has an extra they are selling since they did the same thing you are doing.

Appreciate the help and info!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Crutch field says the Infinity 3032cfx won't fit center dash in the Alpine. Is there clearance issue?

Users who are viewing this thread