5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Speaker Help

iupui1299

Reaction score
I’d like to upgrade my stock speakers. I have the basic setup with the 8.4 unconnect. I was looking at just starting with the dash speakers. Was looking at the JBL gx302 from Crutchfield. My question is are the stock speakers The alpine speakers? On crutchfield it asks if you have the alpine speakers or not. So I’m not sure what I have. It also says the gx302 will not fit which is strange because I know several have upgraded to that exact speaker. Also how hard is the dash speaker install? Is it a job a novice could handle? Thanks for any info!

Ickabod

Reaction score
I’d like to upgrade my stock speakers. I have the basic setup with the 8.4 unconnect. I was looking at just starting with the dash speakers. Was looking at the JBL gx302 from Crutchfield. My question is are the stock speakers The alpine speakers? On crutchfield it asks if you have the alpine speakers or not. So I’m not sure what I have. It also says the gx302 will not fit which is strange because I know several have upgraded to that exact speaker. Also how hard is the dash speaker install? Is it a job a novice could handle? Thanks for any info!
If you look at the center speaker in our dash, it says Alpine if you have the alpine system.
29.jpg

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Both these threads will help, the GX302 dash install is simple, Even for a novice get the speakers from Crutchfield and they include the wiring adapters for free 100% plug and play you just need to cut off a little bit of the speaker mounting tab to get them to fit flush. It's light gauge sheet metal and you can cut it with a decent set of wire cutters. Took me about 15 minutes to do all three. I'm doing the doors this weekend, a lot more involved.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/subwoofer-swap.2265/

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/5th-gen-stock-stereo-upgrade-options.926/

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Both these threads will help, the GX302 dash install is simple, Even for a novice get the speakers from Crutchfield and they include the wiring adapters for free 100% plug and play you just need to cut off a little bit of the speaker mounting tab to get them to fit flush. It's light gauge sheet metal and you can cut it with a decent set of wire cutters. Took me about 15 minutes to do all three. I'm doing the doors this weekend, a lot more involved.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/subwoofer-swap.2265/

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/5th-gen-stock-stereo-upgrade-options.926/
What did you get for the doors? I did the jbls last night. They are way under powered by the stock system. I may go back to the stock one until they get this active noise stuff under control and I can add an amp

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did you get for the doors? I did the jbls last night. They are way under powered by the stock system. I may go back to the stock one until they get this active noise stuff under control and I can add an amp
I went with the GX962, I also have the Alpine so I'm pushing more wattage to them than the base 6 speaker system. We shall see how they do. What did you put in your truck?

Leadbedr

Reaction score
I went with the GX962, I also have the Alpine so I'm pushing more wattage to them than the base 6 speaker system. We shall see how they do. What did you put in your truck?
The same, but I have the non alpine.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cruz said he went with the GX963 in the rear doors and they were way louder than stock, but he also has the Alpine. Powerbase makes the L2-692T which is 2 ohm, not sure if they would fit in the Ram doors though depth looks fine but maybe the screw holes don't match?. Did you do all 4 doors? Was the power inadequate at all four locations or just the front or rear?

Sooliman

Reaction score
The same, but I have the non alpine.
Same as in you went with the GX962? I have the non-Alpine and the gx962 says it won’t fit my dash.....or my Ram for that matter, lol. What am I missing?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same as in you went with the GX962? I have the non-Alpine and the gx962 says it won’t fit my dash.....or my Ram for that matter, lol. What am I missing?
GX962 is a door speaker, GX302 is the proper dash speaker. The mounting tab on the GX302 requires just a little trimming to fit in the factory location that's why crutchfield says they do not fit, really easy to do.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a pic showing what needs to be trimmed. The shape is more square on the JBL so you have to clip the corners off a little bit so it fits where the rounded portion of the factory speaker normally would sit.

Attachments

• dash speakers.jpg
    dash speakers.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 216

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Here's a pic showing what needs to be trimmed. The shape is more square on the JBL so you have to clip the corners off a little bit so it fits where the rounded portion of the factory speaker normally would sit.
I didnt trim mine. They went in flush.

sswails1

Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody is using the Hertz 3.5 with their high sensitivity at 1w/1m.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody is using the Hertz 3.5 with their high sensitivity at 1w/1m.
I considered them for that reason, but paper cones suck, and I read a few reviews where guys were blowing the voice coils with factory stereos after just a few weeks.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Paper is more natural sounding in my experience
Yeah for sure, same as textile tweeters versus aluminum or titanium. Much softer natural tone, But the trade off for the softness is distortion under higher power. Shouldn't be an issues on a factory system though.

Users who are viewing this thread