5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Speaker Help

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've just ordered three sets of the GX302s for the dash and rear headliner, and two sets of the GX963s for the doors. I know the front doors are only good for bass in the Alpine system but the JBL will kick better than the factory speaker. The tweeters in them are just wasted.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've just ordered three sets of the GX302s for the dash and rear headliner, and two sets of the GX963s for the doors. I know the front doors are only good for bass in the Alpine system but the JBL will kick better than the factory speaker. The tweeters in them are just wasted.
Did the same except went with the GX692's for the doors. I didn't want the super tweeter.

sswails1

Reaction score
Why are you guys doing 2-way and 3-way in the doors? Is the signal full range? Seems you would be pulling the sound stage low vs high with highs coming from your door. I would be looking at a 6x9 midrange/woofer keeping the upper midrange and highs up in the dash.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why are you guys doing 2-way and 3-way in the doors? Is the signal full range? Seems you would be pulling the sound stage low vs high with highs coming from your door. I would be looking at a 6x9 midrange/woofer keeping the upper midrange and highs up in the dash.
Rear door is full range front door is not, not a lot of 6x9 drivers out there, front gets 1k and below so the tweeter more or less is going to do nothing most have a response at 4k plus. I'm hoping the jbls are tighter in the low/mid the factory's are a bit muddy.

sswails1

Reaction score
Might be worth putting lower sensitivity drivers in the corners and higher sensitivity driver in the middle to center the vocals in middle as they should be.

Not sure if the Alpine or HK has a true center channel or just the left and right paralleled in. Either way.

Image Dynamics and CDT make 6x9 woofer/midrange. I think powebass and massive audio might as well.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As Billet said, the 3 way in the front is a waste but it will deliver better bass. If I'm not happy with it I may go with something higher end down the line, but it will be a significant improvement for now.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be worth putting lower sensitivity drivers in the corners and higher sensitivity driver in the middle to center the vocals in middle as they should be.

Not sure if the Alpine or HK has a true center channel or just the left and right paralleled in. Either way.

Image Dynamics and CDT make 6x9 woofer/midrange. I think powebass and massive audio might as well.
it's a true center channel, the amp for the alpine system is a 12 channel.
Eventually I'll go all CDT throughout the truck, cl 6x9 in the front doors and HD 6x9 coaxials in the rear doors es 03 across the dash probably es 02 in the rear headliner. A little over a grand for everything which is a great price for the quality. Not much can be done with the sub, triple VC with a separate channel for each coil. One guy mentioned running 3) 6.5 or 8" subs, one on each channel. JBLs are temporary while I waste money on other items that I don't need like bigger tires, power running boards, bed cover, etc, etc, etc.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it's a true center channel, the amp for the alpine system is a 12 channel.
Eventually I'll go all CDT throughout the truck, cl 6x9 in the front doors and HD 6x9 coaxials in the rear doors es 03 across the dash probably es 02 in the rear headliner. A little over a grand for everything which is a great price for the quality. Not much can be done with the sub, triple VC with a separate channel for each coil. One guy mentioned running 3) 6.5 or 8" subs, one on each channel. JBLs are temporary while I waste money on other items that I don't need like bigger tires, power running boards, bed cover, etc, etc, etc.
That's my problem. Still need a lift, air intake, and a few other mods that take priority.

Leadbedr

Reaction score
So I put the JBL's in the doors last night. They are definatley under powered. I can barley hear them.
While listening at idle, they sound fine. But while driving there is a bass note playing at random times. It sounds like an 808 bass, for you old skoolers. Its a low kind of rolling bass note. Im guessing it has to do with the active noise control. Which seems strange. All i did was change the speakers. Nothing else.
Has anyone else experienced this changing the door?
I did find these that I may change to if I can figure out whats up with that sound.
https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-69mr500php-4-6-x-9-midrange-loudspeaker-4-ohm--294-2761
Those are pretty efficient and should be louder than the jbl's

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I put the JBL's in the doors last night. They are definatley under powered. I can barley hear them.
While listening at idle, they sound fine. But while driving there is a bass note playing at random times. It sounds like an 808 bass, for you old skoolers. Its a low kind of rolling bass note. Im guessing it has to do with the active noise control. Which seems strange. All i did was change the speakers. Nothing else.
I did find these that I may change to if I can figure out whats up with that sound.
https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-69mr500php-4-6-x-9-midrange-loudspeaker-4-ohm--294-2761

Pretty sensitive, Will they fit? it looks like they're pretty deep a little over 3.5".

You got me a little concerned I'm going to put in effort getting these speakers in and end up with ANC issues. Roland TR-808 nice just what I want to hear.

sswails1

Reaction score

Those are midrange drivers. You will lose low end.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Id add a sub at some point.
But I need to find out whats up with the active noise thing before I spend any more money
Unfortunately it seems to he giving quite a few people trouble. Some people have disconnected it. I will see how it does when I drop my new speakers in. I have the Alpine system so will be curious if it makes a difference or not.

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems to he giving quite a few people trouble. Some people have disconnected it. I will see how it does when I drop my new speakers in. I have the Alpine system so will be curious if it makes a difference or not.
How do you disconnect it?

Kork

Reaction score

So you put gx302 in the dash and gx963 in the doors and that’s when you saw the volume decrease and ANC issues?

Just checking because i have these speakers ready to go in and now having second thoughts.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you put gx302 in the dash and gx963 in the doors and that’s when you saw the volume decrease and ANC issues?

Just checking because i have these speakers ready to go in and now having second thoughts.
I put 302s in the dash and 963s in the rear doors. It sounds much better, but I have the Alpine. It will depend on if you have the stock setup or the Alpine.

Leadbedr

Reaction score

Yes.
I found a post about disconnecting the anc.
I'm going try that tomorrow.
But the jbl 6x9 in the are a lot lower volume than the stock.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
Has anyone put in the Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx ? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CX/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html

I had them in the Chrysler 300 with Alpine setup and they worked well. Kinda wish I ripped them out of the Chrysler before I handed it over.

Also, I am curious if the Mopar upgrade speakers would function well,. I know they aren't made for the RAMS, but they should bolt in. I believe those Mopar kits are the correct ohm as they were build for Mopar so you wont lose volume with incorrect ohms.

For example https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/accessories/product/82214735/Speaker+Kit.html#product-compat

Black Friday sales have me itching to pull the trigger on something.

Users who are viewing this thread