5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Speaker Help

capecodcaper

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting jbl gx302s in my truck. How hard is it to do? Anyone figured out the quiet issues yet?

DwW

Reaction score
Has anyone put in the Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx - 3.5" in the dash? I'm looking at upgrading the two corner speakers and these come up on Crutchfield as compatible? Critchfield says the JBL GX302's won't fit 19 Ram but recommends the Infinity does? Any input is appreciated! I have the Bighorn with the standard 8.4 6 speaker system just want a better sound without going crazy.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone put in the Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx - 3.5" in the dash? I'm looking at upgrading the two corner speakers and these come up on Crutchfield as compatible? Critchfield says the JBL GX302's won't fit 19 Ram but recommends the Infinity does? Any input is appreciated! I have the Bighorn with the standard 8.4 6 speaker system just want a better sound without going crazy.
The gx302 fit no problem, another guy posted in a different thread that he installed the inifintys as well. Someone else on here installed kickers, just about any 3.5 coaxial will fit and improve the highs in the truck significantly

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
I upgraded all 3 of my fronts (Alpine system) with the GX302's, and did the rear 6x9's with the 962's. I will tell you that if you have the Metra adapters for the 6x9's ...CHECK THE POLARITY..THEY'RE WIRED BACKWARDS...this will cause major issues with the Active Noise Cancellation as the new speakers will be playing 180 degrees out of phase with the rest of the system, effectively doubling the noise instead of cancelling it out. I can not say if the 3.5" Metra adapters are wired backwards, as mine are misplaced somewhere with the Canada post issues, so I desoldered and trimmed the factory plugs off of the stock 3.5's and soldered them to my gx302's making sure the polarity was correct.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
who has the info on changing the stock HK sub out ?
I believe the HK sub is a dual voice coil, each of them 2 ohm being fed by separate channels. Should make for a pretty easy swap.

EStein

Reaction score
I upgraded all 3 of my fronts (Alpine system) with the GX302's, and did the rear 6x9's with the 962's. I will tell you that if you have the Metra adapters for the 6x9's ...CHECK THE POLARITY..THEY'RE WIRED BACKWARDS...this will cause major issues with the Active Noise Cancellation as the new speakers will be playing 180 degrees out of phase with the rest of the system, effectively doubling the noise instead of cancelling it out. I can not say if the 3.5" Metra adapters are wired backwards, as mine are misplaced somewhere with the Canada post issues, so I desoldered and trimmed the factory plugs off of the stock 3.5's and soldered them to my gx302's making sure the polarity was correct.

I’m curious if it’s possible you had the wrong harness? I was worried cause I’d heard they were backwards. The ones Crutchfield sent worked perfect.

Metra 72-7902 dash
Metra 71-050 doors

EStein

Reaction score

The JBL GX 302s fit with very minor trimming. Took about 20 seconds. You just have to trim the corner off of a couple of the metal mounting tabs. Super easy. There is a write up with photos somewhere on the forum. I was very happy with the JBL‘s. Huge difference! I’m sure the infinities would be good as well though.

I also replaced the 6x9‘s in the doors with the JBL GX963 speakers. Right now they are on clearance at Crutchfield for about 50% off. Upgrade was well worth it!

Stock vs JBL GX302 (on sale for $39 pair!!)

6ACDC611-94BE-40CF-92F6-CFEA535FDBAB.jpeg

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
I’m curious if it’s possible you had the wrong harness? I was worried cause I’d heard they were backwards. The ones Crutchfield sent worked perfect.

Metra 72-7902 dash
Metra 71-050 doors

They sent me Metra 72-6514 for the doors, and they are indeed wired backwards from the 71-050 harnesses, so yes yours would have worked perfectly without any changes. Weird. Although mine came from Amazon.

EStein

Reaction score
They sent me Metra 72-6514 for the doors, and they are indeed wired backwards from the 71-050 harnesses, so yes yours would have worked perfectly without any changes. Weird. Although mine came from Amazon.

Yeah that’s a bummer...glad you were able to figure it out.

EJanx07

Reaction score
So I put the JBL's in the doors last night. They are definatley under powered. I can barley hear them.
While listening at idle, they sound fine. But while driving there is a bass note playing at random times. It sounds like an 808 bass, for you old skoolers. Its a low kind of rolling bass note. Im guessing it has to do with the active noise control. Which seems strange. All i did was change the speakers. Nothing else.
Has anyone else experienced this changing the door?
I did find these that I may change to if I can figure out whats up with that sound.
https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-69mr500php-4-6-x-9-midrange-loudspeaker-4-ohm--294-2761
Those are pretty efficient and should be louder than the jbl's
Was it a pain, to remove the rear door panels to install upgraded 6x9 speakers? I can find videos all day long on YouTube, for this process on the 4th Gen’s, but nothing on the 2019/5th Gen’s.... what tools do you need?

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Was it a pain, to remove the rear door panels to install upgraded 6x9 speakers? I can find videos all day long on YouTube, for this process on the 4th Gen’s, but nothing on the 2019/5th Gen’s.... what tools do you need?

No. You just have to use some force when pulling of the door panels. The plugs they use are pretty tight.
I just used a cheap harbor freight upholstery tool.

I started from the bottom, worked it enough to get my hand in, then just pulled the panel off.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I saw this on a jeep forum as well. Looks like you are all on top of it. So the 6514 for the 6x9s need to be swapped to work plug and play? Otherwise you'll have ANC problems.

Anyone on here swapped the HK 19 speakers out for aftermarket?

Wondering if it's worth it.

lasstss

Reaction score

Metra adapters... Speaker phasing. You have to get the +/- right or you will have some bass cancellation issues. Not to mention fooling the ANC mikes. I pulled the bighorn tweets and 6X9's. Pretty basic stuff. I went with Rockford fosgates and infinity tweets up front. Make sure you match impedance also. Looks like 8 ohms. Using a 4 ohm driver will play hell with the amp drivers. At low volumes not an Issue but the amp may not like 4 ohms at high volume. Here is what they look like on the big horn. Sorry I have the economy model!

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 63

EStein

Reaction score
Metra adapters... Speaker phasing. You have to get the +/- right or you will have some bass cancellation issues. Not to mention fooling the ANC mikes. I pulled the bighorn tweets and 6X9's. Pretty basic stuff. I went with Rockford fosgates and infinity tweets up front. Make sure you match impedance also. Looks like 8 ohms. Using a 4 ohm driver will play hell with the amp drivers. At low volumes not an Issue but the amp may not like 4 ohms at high volume. Here is what they look like on the big horn. Sorry I have the economy model!

I have the same big horn system and I’ve had zero issues with the JBL’s. Somewhere in the speaker threads it is talked about the dash and front doors being wired together creates 2ohms. So I would say those dash 3.5s aren’t really running at 8ohms. I don’t understand all this stuff but it’s worked for me just fine. Definitely an upgrade in sound. And I just use the Metra adapters that Crutchfield sent and there was no wiring issues.

lasstss

Reaction score

Update. The tweeters in the dash are 8 ohms. The 4 drivers in the door of the Bighorn are a relatively good driver. I switched to Fosgates anyway. The factory door driver is about 3 ohms. Its an odd ball.
Fair to say that in fact you can run a 4 ohm driver. I did notice a slight decrease in base switching out the speakers but they are punchier and less boomy than the factory drivers. A sub is definitely needed for heavy bass. Due to my age I probably don't need that kind of power anymore as I want to save what hearing I have left. It is odd that the door signal is full range. My theory is that the general public likes flatter sound and finds full range offensive. (you can always lower the highs with the equalizer). The new speakers make a really big difference for the high frequencies. Get the polarity right like I said before it will jack up the ANC.

Almost forgot. A lot of 6X9's have a bigger basket than the opening of the door. 2 I tried did not fit. I got the Fosgates in with some coaxing, very tight...

lasstss

Reaction score
The JBL GX 302s fit with very minor trimming. Took about 20 seconds. You just have to trim the corner off of a couple of the metal mounting tabs. Super easy. There is a write up with photos somewhere on the forum. I was very happy with the JBL‘s. Huge difference! I’m sure the infinities would be good as well though.

I also replaced the 6x9‘s in the doors with the JBL GX963 speakers. Right now they are on clearance at Crutchfield for about 50% off. Upgrade was well worth it!

Stock vs JBL GX302 (on sale for $39 pair!!)

View attachment 12046

For those of you that are soldering Iron savvy. I took the socket off the factory driver. Clipped it and soldered the tabs onto the new speaker terminals. Worked perfect! no harness. polarity, polarity..

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you that are soldering Iron savvy. I took the socket off the factory driver. Clipped it and soldered the tabs onto the new speaker terminals. Worked perfect! no harness. polarity, polarity..

How did you know which to soder to? Tested the speakers?

Also, do you know if the ANC issues (low frequency drone) rears its head if any speaker in the system is flipped, or is it just the 6x9s?

Users who are viewing this thread