5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis recalls 1.5M Ram trucks to fix software bug that can disable stability control

Morenar

Reaction score
Just came across this today

Stellantis is recalling nearly 1.5 million Ram pickup trucks worldwide to fix a software problem that can disable the electronic stability control system.

The recall covers certain trucks from the 2019 and 2021 through 2024 model years, mostly in North America.

Stellantis said in a statement Saturday that the trucks may have anti-lock brake software that could inadvertently shut down the stability control, which manages the throttle and brakes to avoid skidding.

If that happens, the company said the brakes would still work. Stellantis said it's not aware of any crashes or injuries from the problem.

U.S. safety standards require electronic stability control to work during nearly all phases of driving, the company says.

Dealers will update software to fix the problem at no cost to owners, who will be notified by letters starting Oct. 3.

Could be because the recall doesn't go "live" until October 3rd? Or, just some vehicles are affected by it. If the latter, then what is the determining factor between affected and unaffected?

(Meantime, this would be my first dealer flash/recall since I got my GDE tune. I'll have to verify that I won't lose it if the dealer flashes anything. Hmm...)

Why not 2020’s?!
That’s what is strange. According to the affected ABS module software part number list, all three part numbers used are affected (the one used for TRX, the one used for adaptive cruise equipped trucks, and the one used for non adaptive cruise equipped trucks). So, it should be every single 2019-2024 1500 DT 5th gen Ram. They all used the exact same ABS Module Part numbers with the same software calibration, even 2020 model year.

recall/. my 24 is saying not affected either. maybe they are in the system yet?

recall/. my 24 is saying not affected either. maybe they are in the system yet?
Correct, VINs haven’t been loaded into the system yet, and dealers haven’t been notified. Estimated percentage with defect is 100%.

Correct, VINs haven’t been loaded into the system yet, and dealers haven’t been notified. Estimated percentage with defect is 100%.
I saw the 100% defect rate so I figured as much. Doesn t look like a big deal anyway.

I got an email notice about electronic throttle control alert On 9/3/24 But mine is the eco diesel so it may be different

That’s what is strange. According to the affected ABS module software part number list, all three part numbers used are affected (the one used for TRX, the one used for adaptive cruise equipped trucks, and the one used for non adaptive cruise equipped trucks). So, it should be every single 2019-2024 1500 DT 5th gen Ram. They all used the exact same ABS Module Part numbers with the same software calibration, even 2020 model year.
1725828789268.png

Even the NTHSA site contradicts itself, saying 100% of the vehicles being affected, but then omitting an entire model year

I read a similar article Friday, and I'm curious how the 2020 model year is exempted from the recall. As previously noted the part number(s) have not changed. I will be waiting for a letter in the mail, I guess, about Thanksgiving. :unsure: I wonder how long before the dealers will have the new updates and how long our trucks will have to be in the shop waiting for the 5-minute software update to be completed. :(

BlueHemi1500

Reading through the chronology on the NTHSA site, it looks like they pulled one month’s worth of data. If it were me, and that’s all the data I had, I’d probably go ahead and add in 2020 to that list just for safety.

My mopar owners portal is showing 1 incomplete recall for this now.

The recall is out and flash available, but only the 23-24 year trucks can be done at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back