5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel leather peeling, dealer says not warranty?

LoveMyRam!

Reaction score
The leather on one section of my steering wheel is peeling badly, see attached picture. Had it at a dealer today and they said it’s not a warranty item? Truck is still under basic warranty coverage. Has anyone else had this issue and could someone explain why this isn’t a warranty issue?

Attachments

• D7A08827-F7E4-42DA-8D71-DEA32E6D359F.jpeg
    D7A08827-F7E4-42DA-8D71-DEA32E6D359F.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 169

Klicht87

Reaction score
Dang, you must have a tight grip. I can see that...maybe try another dealership? Just slap a steering wheel cover on it.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ask them why it's not covered? Looks more like the protective coating has worn off in those areas, not actual peeling leather. Have you used any products on the leather? The steering wheel is covered under the 3/36 warranty unless they can prove that something you did caused the issue. Maybe @RamCares can assist you with this.

Reactions: c3k

LoveMyRam!

Reaction score
No product used on the steering wheel leather, as I said it's only wearing on one side (left), no wear on top, bottom or right side? It's like a polymer coating on the leather (pleather?) is peeling off, is it possible that bit of leather wasn't treated properly when being made? I love the truck, I retired and decided to finally buy a brand new vehicle to last the rest of my life, this Ram is my pride and joy, as well as the biggest investment I have ever made in a vehicle, I hope the rest of the interior isn't going to degrade like this since I'm guessing it won't be covered by warranty either?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello @LoveMyRam!

We would like to look into this concern in tandem with your Ram dealer if you are still experiencing this concern. Please send us an update with your vehicle's model year and mileage for us to review as well as any relevant updates.

Thanks for the mention as well, @mikeru82.

Hannah
Ram Cares

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ask them why it's not covered? Looks more like the protective coating has worn off in those areas, not actual peeling leather. Have you used any products on the leather? The steering wheel is covered under the 3/36 warranty unless they can prove that something you did caused the issue. Maybe @RamCares can assist you with this.
Does popeyes fried chicken grease count as a protective coating?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Looks like lotion or hand sanitizer might have gotten to it.

Worst case, you could always order and install a new wheel yourself. I think they range from 250-1k depending on trim level.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does popeyes fried chicken grease count as a protective coating?
I'd say so :ROFLMAO:
I miss Popeye's. Went there a lot when I lived in AZ. I think the closest one to where I live now is a 90 minute drive away. Talk about a long lunch LOL. All we have around here is KFC. Definitely not as good IMHO.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say so :ROFLMAO:
I miss Popeye's. Went there a lot when I lived in AZ. I think the closest one to where I live now is a 90 minute drive away. Talk about a long lunch LOL. All we have around here is KFC. Definitely not as good IMHO.
Awww, I feel bad for everyone where you live

Users who are viewing this thread