5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start/Stop question

Eric11779

Reaction score
The 2021's ONLY show on the dash...the button no longer illuminates like in prior years. My 2021 has no button light either...only in the instrument cluster.
My 2021 switch actually has a light on the switch but wont light when disabled

Eric11779

Reaction score
I traded my '19 Laramie w eTorque 2 weeks ago for '21 Limited with same engine. On the new truck I have noticed that the Start/Stop button, just below and left of the shift knob, does not light up orange when pushed to indicate that the Start/Stop feature is turned off. My Laramie lit up (bottom right of button, similar indicator as all other buttons). When I look at youtube vids I also see the button light come on. Any ideas as to why Ram changed this indicator light?
light fixed?

MrMojoRisin

Reaction score
3 weeks with my 2021 limited and fought with this today trying to determine if auto stop was on or off. It took a few google word combinations to wind up here but I’m glad to have confirmation that I’m not crazy. I’ve been loving this truck but am disappointed to have confirmation that the quality control is not representative of a $70k vehicle

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
3 weeks with my 2021 limited and fought with this today trying to determine if auto stop was on or off. It took a few google word combinations to wind up here but I’m glad to have confirmation that I’m not crazy. I’ve been loving this truck but am disappointed to have confirmation that the quality control is not representative of a $70k vehicle
The software for our trucks is written in a sweat shop in India...what do you expect :(

MrMojoRisin

Reaction score
The software for our trucks is written in a sweat shop in India...what do you expect :(
I worked for an automotive manufacturer selling very expensive vehicles. I can tell you that buttons get pressed to confirm operation before the car gets to the customer. My thought is that they new about this issue as it pertains to V8s with etorque and thought maybe it wouldn’t be a big deal to the customer. Meanwhile unless I scroll through the display, there’s no way to see if it’s on or off

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I worked for an automotive manufacturer selling very expensive vehicles. I can tell you that buttons get pressed to confirm operation before the car gets to the customer. My thought is that they new about this issue as it pertains to V8s with etorque and thought maybe it wouldn’t be a big deal to the customer. Meanwhile unless I scroll through the display, there’s no way to see if it’s on or off
The only way I know mine is on is when I come to a stop and it kicks in and my dash light illuminates

jvcnova73

Reaction score
Not sure why but I found out today that if you don’t where your seatbelt the start stop is automatically disabled

louscrw

Reaction score
I wonder this issue is on all 2021‘s? Mine is the same, no indication at all the button has been pressed. Working on a military base, it is 20 minutes of stop and go traffic entering the base, so I turn off A.S.S every morning.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder this issue is on all 2021‘s? Mine is the same, no indication at all the button has been pressed. Working on a military base, it is 20 minutes of stop and go traffic entering the base, so I turn off A.S.S every morning.
Yes, on all 2021's. It has been mentioned several times in threads on the forum. It is a software issue and FCA is working on an update to make the button illuminate when Auto S/S is turned off.

USAFA-09

Reaction score
For EVERYONE's awareness...I was tracking this as an issue from day one (purchased 2021 RAM 1500 Limited Dec 2020). My amazing service department (Safford Springfield, VA, seriously they're aweomse), found a RAM Service Bulletin stating that the manufacturer IS tracking this as an issue, and a FIX is planned sometime this year when they can figure out why it is not working, and correct it. The service bulletin states it is only affecting 2021 RAM 1500 5.7s with eTorque models. It works on 2019 and 2020, and SHOULD work on 2021s. Thus, not an error in the manual, and a fix will come eventually. (as a sidenote, the service bulletin said the fix ETA was Jan 2021, but hey, slight delay of game haha)

USAFA-09

Reaction score
Yes, on all 2021's. It has been mentioned several times in threads on the forum. It is a software issue and FCA is working on an update to make the button illuminate when Auto S/S is turned off.
Just saw your response after typing mine and doubling down on what you said

Eric11779

Reaction score
Visited the dealer today and still no software update, also called ram customer service and opened a case regarding the issue. Keep you guys posted

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Visited the dealer today and still no software update, also called ram customer service and opened a case regarding the issue. Keep you guys posted
Nothing anyone can do...it is all in the hands of RAM engineers to fix and release the software.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it is really bothering you, one may be to install the Autostop Eliminator. What this does is turns the Autostop switch into a "press it and it remains off no matter how many times you start, turn off and restart the engine" or "press it again and it will remain on no matter how many times you start, restart the engine." I realize it isn't a fix for the light but at least it would give you control over the switch so you don't have to press it every time you start the engine. They're simple to install with no cutting or spicing, and can be removed in seconds. (I realize this isn't a fix for an FCA problem but simply a work around until they get it fixed).

We have it in all three family trucks (2 2020 Rams and 1 2020 Ford), and it gives us the option to utilize the Autostart technology when we need it or not. I don't work for nor do I derive any benefit from their equipment...I just wanted to throw an idea out there for the 2021 owners.

Rebel19

Reaction score
Just to confirm...my 2021 Limited (eTorque) does not have a light on the start/stop button. This is not a software issue, it is a recent change in the button design itself.
As others have mentioned, I can only tell that the AS/S is activated when vehicle is stopped and the icon appears in the cluster.
I understand the concept of why there is an AS/S feature, but my preference is to keep it deactivated while driving.
No big deal for me, I am getting in the habit on pushing the button once whenever I start it up. Not enough of an issue for me to justify buying an eliminator.
My 2019 Rebel eTorque had an AS/S system with lighted button and cluster icon, so I know how it worked before the design change.
FYI - neither my dealer nor RAM can provide me any reason or information why there was a design change to the button or cluster icon. Maybe to make it more difficult to deactivate the AS/S for some crazy reason?...scratching my head on this one...

Users who are viewing this thread