5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start/Stop question

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
In the event Eliminator does not produce a 2021 version, there is a unit available from Infotainment which indicates it works on the 2021:

OBD Genie Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM Engine Stop Start Disabler - Infotainment.com

My personal favorite is the Eliminator since it is a simple plug and play...hopefully they come out with a 2021 version.
This one looks very similar to the Eliminator and it appears to connect the same way. It states that it is being redesigned and is currently unavailable. No rush on my part, but nice to have options assuming this one will work on the eT motor.

Thanks for sharing the find!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While it appears from all the comments (here and elsewhere that I have checked) that the button doesn't light, the 2021 Owner's Manual says it does. I guess just an oddball little quirk.
They might've just meant to say the dash illuminates.

h8hoos

Reaction score
I have received written confirmation from the Service Manager at my dealer that identifies this as a known issue. The Mopar memo says that they expect a PCM TSB software update in January 2021.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have received written confirmation from the Service Manager at my dealer that identifies this as a known issue. The Mopar memo says that they expect a PCM TSB software update in January 2021.
And what will the PCM update do???

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Make the button light work like it is supposed to do.
I'll have to take a closer look at my button. At rough glance, I saw no place for anything to illuminate in that plastic button. I'll have to look more closely.

BobK

Reaction score
I find it very annoying too. No light on the button on my 2021. AND it does not light on the dash if you are driving and press the button. If you are stopped and press the button then the indicator will light on the dash showing you disabled it. But if your driving and press the button, you can press it till the cows come home, you wont know if you just enabled or disabled it until you stop and see what happens. :) Same with the Fog light button. Those are the only two quirks i have found that bug me. Both of those not telling you if they are enabled/disabled.
(by light on the dash, i mean any indication on the digital display)

Last edited:

h8hoos

Reaction score
I'll have to take a closer look at my button. At rough glance, I saw no place for anything to illuminate in that plastic button. I'll have to look more closely.
Bottom right of the button, about 1/4" or so. It is there on mine, but have to look very closely.

BobK

Reaction score
Oh, nice. Would be good for it to tell instantly when pressed. Thanks!

skny

Reaction score
Only if you have the ETorque .
I've seen mixed things as to which Ram models have ESS (start/stop). Simple answer is, if you see the A button with the circle around it, you do. I know they changed a lot on the Wranglers (I also have a '20 JL w/the 2.0 turbo & it has ESS). I just bought a '21 Limited last night & noticed the button doesn't light up - but does disable it. Glad to see they'll be fixing it in a software update soon. I'll mention to my dealership too for their awareness when I finish signing my papers in a couple hours :)

robwah

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2021 Midnight edition I picked up this weekend. There is a light on the ON/OFF button but it does not light up like it did in my 2019. Wish there was a fix

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2021 Midnight edition I picked up this weekend. There is a light on the ON/OFF button but it does not light up like it did in my 2019. Wish there was a fix
There will be after the first of the year...software update coming.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find it very annoying too. No light on the button on my 2021. AND it does not light on the dash if you are driving and press the button. If you are stopped and press the button then the indicator will light on the dash showing you disabled it. But if your driving and press the button, you can press it till the cows come home, you wont know if you just enabled or disabled it until you stop and see what happens. :) Same with the Fog light button. Those are the only two quirks i have found that bug me. Both of those not telling you if they are enabled/disabled.
(by light on the dash, i mean any indication on the digital display)
Sounds like you can't disable it while moving...

SJC5

Reaction score
Two Questions. I have a 2021 and when I hit the "A" button it does turn off the "auto - stop". I know there is an known issue listed above to fix the light on the actually button (which I did verify there is a light on the bottom and no it does not light up). First question - while pushing the button once does turn off "auto-stop" if you push it again - does it turn it back on? I tried this in traffic and it never turned back on (I only have 450 miles on my truck). Not sure if I need to drive it some distance for it to come back on. Second question, where in the "dash" does it show if "auto-stop" is disabled. I never see anything when I turn it off show up on the dash.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two Questions. I have a 2021 and when I hit the "A" button it does turn off the "auto - stop". I know there is an known issue listed above to fix the light on the actually button (which I did verify there is a light on the bottom and no it does not light up). First question - while pushing the button once does turn off "auto-stop" if you push it again - does it turn it back on? I tried this in traffic and it never turned back on (I only have 450 miles on my truck). Not sure if I need to drive it some distance for it to come back on. Second question, where in the "dash" does it show if "auto-stop" is disabled. I never see anything when I turn it off show up on the dash.

It should re-enable the start stop feature if you press it again. I shut it off sometimes if traffic is only moving a little at a time so it isn’t starting and stopping over and over. Then I’ll turn it back on once it’s a more normal flow and I’m just stopping at lights. You can scroll to the menu on the instrument cluster using the arrows on the steering wheel. It will give you the status of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread