5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start/Stop question

h8hoos

Reaction score
I traded my '19 Laramie w eTorque 2 weeks ago for '21 Limited with same engine. On the new truck I have noticed that the Start/Stop button, just below and left of the shift knob, does not light up orange when pushed to indicate that the Start/Stop feature is turned off. My Laramie lit up (bottom right of button, similar indicator as all other buttons). When I look at youtube vids I also see the button light come on. Any ideas as to why Ram changed this indicator light?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded my '19 Laramie w eTorque 2 weeks ago for '21 Limited with same engine. On the new truck I have noticed that the Start/Stop button, just below and left of the shift knob, does not light up orange when pushed to indicate that the Start/Stop feature is turned off. My Laramie lit up (bottom right of button, similar indicator as all other buttons). When I look at youtube vids I also see the button light come on. Any ideas as to why Ram changed this indicator light?
Didn't know they changed it at all. Have you confirmed that the Auto Start/Stop actually turns off when you press it..?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're the second person with a 2021 that I've met who has said the same issue. He has an appointment tomorrow at the dealer to get it checked out as there is either no light on the 2021 or his is malfunctioning...similar to yours. Perhaps instead of the small light by the switch they have it in the instrument cluster on the 2021s?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just looked at the 2021 owners manual online...yes, there is no light by the switch any longer...it is on the instrument cluster. See page 186/187 of the owners manual which states:

Push the Stop/Start OFF switch (located on the switch bank). The light on the switch will illuminate. The “STOP/START OFF” message will appear in the instrument cluster display and the Autostop mode will be disabled

Then again it also states in the next paragraph:

TO MANUALLY TURN ON THE STOP START SYSTEM Push the Stop/Start OFF switch (located on the switch bank). The light on the switch will turn off.

h8hoos

Reaction score
I just looked at the 2021 owners manual online...yes, there is no light by the switch any longer...it is on the instrument cluster. See page 186/187 of the owners manual which states:

Push the Stop/Start OFF switch (located on the switch bank). The light on the switch will illuminate. The “STOP/START OFF” message will appear in the instrument cluster display and the Autostop mode will be disabled

Then again it also states in the next paragraph:

TO MANUALLY TURN ON THE STOP START SYSTEM Push the Stop/Start OFF switch (located on the switch bank). The light on the switch will turn off.
I'm not following you above. You say there is no light by the switch (it's actually on the pushbutton switch), then give owner's manual references that first say the light illuminates and then reference #2 says the light will turn off.

h8hoos

Reaction score
You're the second person with a 2021 that I've met who has said the same issue. He has an appointment tomorrow at the dealer to get it checked out as there is either no light on the 2021 or his is malfunctioning...similar to yours. Perhaps instead of the small light by the switch they have it in the instrument cluster on the 2021s?
Yes it does light up in the busy (to me) instrument panel.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, in my Start/Stop dashboard it shows it on and off as the button is pushed......but the actual button doesn't indicate anything.
Ah ok. That makes sense. Mine has the light below the button but nothing on the dash.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It appears the 2020s like ours has a light under the button. And then the manual appears to indicate there is a notification in the EVIC and no light under the button on the 2021. Perhaps someone with another 2021 can verify if this is the case. Or if they have both the EVIC notification and a light under their button.

Then again, I don’t worry about the light in our 2020s as I installed the Start/Stop Eliminator.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Then again, I don’t worry about the light in our 2020s as I installed the Start/Stop Eliminator.
What S/S eliminator did you install? I was looking at this and the website states NOT COMPATIBLE WITH eTOURQE...I was bummed:( So you bought it and it works fine???

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have it installed in two of our 2020s and they work like a charm. It plugs into the security gateway so no messing with the OBD port. Our local service department had no clue it was there when we took one of them in for an oil change. Didn’t show up when he plugged into the OBD port and all you have to do is turn it back on - without removing the jumper - and it works like factory again. It remembers the last setting when the Start Stop button is pressed until you press it again.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting...their site specifically states that it will not work on an eTorque :unsure:
It says not compatible with the 2021 eTorque. Works like a charm with the 2019/2020. Clearly FCA changed the system for the 2021 MY and these guys will eventually come out with an Eliminator just for the 2021.

Give them a call as they are always available to help...he may be able to give you an ETA of when they will have it or if it will never be possible due to something FCA did to prevent it from working on 2021 and later MY.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks...I feel like an idiot...2021 right in front of my face! I sent them a note so I'll wait to hear back. I have their device on my daughter's Subaru SUV and it couldn't be nicer and the install of there devices are so simple!

h8hoos

Reaction score
The 2021's ONLY show on the dash...the button no longer illuminates like in prior years. My 2021 has no button light either...only in the instrument cluster.
While it appears from all the comments (here and elsewhere that I have checked) that the button doesn't light, the 2021 Owner's Manual says it does. I guess just an oddball little quirk.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While it appears from all the comments (here and elsewhere that I have checked) that the button doesn't light, the 2021 Owner's Manual says it does. I guess just an oddball little quirk.
Wouldn’t be the first error in the owner’s manual ;)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most likely a "miss" by the person editing the new manual. As @SpeedyV said...not the first time!

Users who are viewing this thread