5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start of 2022 Production.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I guess my point here is: The stars are somehow aligning for my NEW Rebel order (dealer just told me it has an estimated ship date of 12/4), but the stars are magically NOT aligning for the old order. Same truck, basically. Ram is mismanaging this.
You're not wrong on the mismanagement thing, but I think it's a matter of perspective. From their perspective they're managing it just fine because I believe it's a combination of building the largest number of trucks and building the most profitable ones at that. For those of us that ordered very early on and are price protected, they're probably not making much off of the sale at all especially after killing affiliate pricing. They seem to be prioritizing the higher MSRP builds, IE, everything ordered after the price hikes. Maybe I'm just not thinking it through though.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean, I don't see how it reads that way. I'm telling you that I am getting literally the truck that I asked my dealer for. Toyota does it differently, but it's exactly the truck I requested.
It was the same for me in 2017 when I wanted a very specific configuration on a Tacoma. Toyota wouldn't custom build it for me, but the dealer found one that met my specifications in New Jersey. So they had it shipped down. I got exactly what I wanted.

Scott_R

Reaction score
I mean, I don't see how it reads that way. I'm telling you that I am getting literally the truck that I asked my dealer for. Toyota does it differently, but it's exactly the truck I requested.
Is the Toyota a custom build?
  • If not, it is a volume build that better matches your needs. Congratulations.
  • If it is a custom 2022 build, this is different from what has been described above, but is very good news for you. Congratulations.

HAG1417

Reaction score
you were not given the option to drop some of your items

are you ok with what they told you

your not on the assembly line are you.

why can't you just talk with the plant manager
Yes I was given the option to drop options to move the build up. My salesman answered correctly for me without asking me. The response was in all caps “ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!” this why I have a badassed salesman.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're not wrong on the mismanagement thing, but I think it's a matter of perspective. From their perspective they're managing it just fine because I believe it's a combination of building the largest number of trucks and building the most profitable ones at that. For those of us that ordered very early on and are price protected, they're probably not making much off of the sale at all especially after killing affiliate pricing. They seem to be prioritizing the higher MSRP builds, IE, everything ordered after the price hikes. Maybe I'm just not thinking it through though.
You're likely correct...it could be all about money. But instead of blaming parts shortages, they should just say, "we have no intention of honoring the order we took. Please reorder."

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
It was the same for me in 2017 when I wanted a very specific configuration on a Tacoma. Toyota wouldn't custom build it for me, but the dealer found one that met my specifications in New Jersey. So they had it shipped down. I got exactly what I wanted.
so toyota dealers get what ever the factory sends them?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know. I know they can't place custom orders. So maybe they're provided with a list of what's going to be built, and ask for quantities of each configuration that's coming up.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This Toyota thing still doesn't seem right. When I bought my 2005 Scion tC back in the day, I sat down with my local friendly volume dealer and ordered exactly what I wanted (which was silver with a manual transmission and rubber floormats). When I price shopped with my grandmother through 3 Camry and 1 Avalon purchase(s) we were able to order exactly what she wanted and negotiate a price. Toyota might not treat those orders as "custom" but that's what they are.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They can request paint color, specific trims, packages, etc. I don't know that it guarantees anything. All I know is that one of the 1794's coming in is the one that had the options they requested for me.

HAG1417

Reaction score
That theory (excuse) doesn't hold water, based on the data. The problem for RAM is that this is all transparent. People are seeing the trucks being built with all the parts that could have gone to their 6+ month old order.

I don't buy for one second that this is about anything more than a business decision. They can make two trucks with the parts from one. More money. They can make more recently ordered trucks with a higher price point. More money. They can get a truck to a dealer and sold in 30 days instead of 31 days. More money. I don't really even fault them for that, but trying to explain it away doesn't sit right with me.

And I call BS on GM and Toyota are having the "same problems" right now. They're having the same problems as the rest of the industry as far as availability of parts, sure. But they aren't having these problems of people waiting nearly a year for their trucks to be built while watching trucks ordered a week ago hit the line. If I wanted a fully loaded 1794 next month, it'd be mine. I suspect I could have a 22 Denali Ultimate in my driveway before some here will have their RAM they ordered this past summer. That's on RAM.
Try to order a GM with heated seats and see what happens. It’s been all over the news here that they have restricted heated/vented seat due to chip shortage. So dump the RAM and buy a something else instead of throwing rocks at someone you don’t even know. 😎

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Try to order a GM with heated seats and see what happens. It’s been all over the news here that they have restricted heated/vented seat due to chip shortage.

If RAM still had unrestricted ordering, you'd have a point.

This also doesn't fly, because the data clearly shows that it isn't parts that are the problem for RAM. It's a schedule management problem internal to RAM.

So dump the RAM and buy a something else instead of throwing rocks at someone you don’t even know. 😎

If RAM doesn't get their **** together like the other manufacturers have done, I'll be doing exactly that.

Last edited:

Scott_R

Reaction score
This Toyota thing still doesn't seem right. When I bought my 2005 Scion tC back in the day, I sat down with my local friendly volume dealer and ordered exactly what I wanted (which was silver with a manual transmission and rubber floormats). When I price shopped with my grandmother through 3 Camry and 1 Avalon purchase(s) we were able to order exactly what she wanted and negotiate a price. Toyota might not treat those orders as "custom" but that's what they are.
Seems like from the article posted earlier, https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/how-long-does-a-factory-order-take Toyota may have a better way of trading allocated inventory around their dealer network. I suspect that MD or MileOne might have larger allocations to juggle, however even if the perfect Ram for @Eighty is sitting on another dealer's lot, there is no good way to transfer.

Personally, I had to go to a different dealer 15-miles away to get mine. If they had a better network, they could've just moved the truck and I would have kept the same sales guy.

Gr8dane

Reaction score
You're likely correct...it could be all about money. But instead of blaming parts shortages, they should just say, "we have no intention of honoring the order we took. Please reorder."
It's for sure about money. Why build mine when they can say "part shortages" yet later vins show up that with all the options that aren't price protected. Even says price protected order right on my WS lol. They could of easily built all the pre ordered trucks first but dealers have no vehicles on the lots so they aren't getting random shoppers. So it seems they are building here and there while trying to restock dealers with the largest profit margin trucks. Like myself im ordered with a deposit and financing so they likely count that as a done and complete order lets go get more. Easy to say its a supply chain issue.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's for sure about money. Why build mine when they can say "part shortages" yet later vins show up that with all the options that aren't price protected. Even says price protected order right on my WS lol. They could of easily built all the pre ordered trucks first but dealers have no vehicles on the lots so they aren't getting random shoppers. So it seems they are building here and there while trying to restock dealers with the largest profit margin trucks. Like myself im ordered with a deposit and financing so they likely count that as a done and complete order lets go get more. Easy to say its a supply chain issue.
BS, it says it on your BS (I got nosey and went looking 😛)

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some info from today's build sheets:

They built 9 trucks up in the 227 group (!!)
1C6RREFT9NN227197Big HornCrew 5-74x25.7 Hemi
1C6SRFVT7NN227207SportCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFFT0NN227208Big HornCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFJT3NN227209LaramieCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFBT1NN227210Big HornQuad 6-44x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFJT1NN227211LaramieCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFJT3NN227212LaramieCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFHT3NN227216LimitedCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFKT4NN227217LonghornCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi

1637257830350.png

1637257998723.png

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In keeping with the info from the past few days, a few more tidbits from today's 1,147 build sheets:
  • 74 trucks with Ramboxes
  • 185 trucks with Pano sunroof
  • 25 trucks with Advanced Safety Group (23 TRX's, and 2 Rebels)
  • 244 trucks with Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection
  • 365 trucks with eTorque

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some info from today's build sheets:

They built 9 trucks up in the 227 group (!!)
1C6RREFT9NN227197Big HornCrew 5-74x25.7 Hemi
1C6SRFVT7NN227207SportCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFFT0NN227208Big HornCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFJT3NN227209LaramieCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFBT1NN227210Big HornQuad 6-44x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFJT1NN227211LaramieCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFJT3NN227212LaramieCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFHT3NN227216LimitedCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
1C6SRFKT4NN227217LonghornCrew 5-74x45.7 Hemi
You just can't resist poking the hornets nest!! LOL!!

Users who are viewing this thread