5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaker static

waffle-cat

Reaction score
Same here, passenger side speaker from the day I picked the truck up in April from Louisiana. Local Dealer (North Texas) replaced the speaker, no difference. Tonight the driver side started doing the same, so I came on here, and what do you know..... it's a club! Sent the TSB ref to the Service Director. Awaiting a response.

Georgian Ram

Reaction score
I picked my truck up new in May, 2021 - Ram 1500, Laramie, Uconnect 12. Static started in the front right speaker and would continue during that startup cycle of the truck whether the radio was turned off or not and whether the system had a soft reboot completed or not. Static would happen about every 5th or so time I drove the truck. Took it straight to the dealer while it was doing it so they could hear it. They checked the amp and it was already updated with the current software. They are in the process of replacing the amp currently. Additional issue I have had is the screen went blank and at the same time on the dash info center, a message came up that said "115V Power Fail" with an error code below it I couldn't read before the message went away. The center screen rebooted after about 2 minutes and began working normally after that. The dealer is currently checking the 115V inverter that feeds power to the Uconnect 12 head unit. Have no idea if the two problems are related or not. Hope to get the truck back in a few days and check it out.

46Indian

Reaction score
Took my truck in, they agreed on the TSB, it took a little over 30 mins to get the amp updated software done, now time will tell. Thanks for the TSB information. That made it way easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christine74

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m a new Ram owner. I have a 2 week old ‘21 Ram Laramie night edition. I have the HK Speakers, and in the two weeks I’ve had the truck, maybe 4-5 times the speakers have a ton of static, it almost sounds like they speakers are blown. But then the next time I get in, they will be fine.
I’ve tried every input source, and it doesn’t change anything , they will be all be static, even phone calls and navigation.
I know when I take it to the dealer it’s not going to be happening, so I’m sure I won’t get an answer.
Anyone experience this???

thank you!
I have the crackling sound too. I chalked it up to xm radio during talking

46Indian

Reaction score
See gordpinard information above. Even the dumbest dealer (mine) found the TSB !!!

Good luck.

udpumpkin

Reaction score
I hope this solves the problem. I just did a long road trip in my '21 Ram. A few times the right speaker on the dash started having lots of static. The static in the other speakers was almost unnoticeable and it didn't matter what the input was. Very annoying on an 8-10 hour drive. It seemed to only go away after the car was parked and turned off. Pretty much always started the drive with no problems only to have a problem a couple hours in. We had six days of driving and the static happened on three of those days.

Thanks for posting!

Georgian Ram

Reaction score
Dealer replaced the amp in mine about a week and a half ago. It was already updated with the new software and was still having the static issue that started in the front right speaker and spread to all the speakers eventually. Same issue as udpumpkin, wouldn't go away unless is was turned off and parked a bit and occurred on all inputs. So far, so good on the replaced amp. I think it actually sounds better as well but that could just be because I'm so relieved the intermittent static is gone. I'll post again if it comes back.

dunehiker

Reaction score
Finally had a chance to bring mine into the dealer today. When I dropped it off I mentioned the TSB, they service writer kind of brushed it off. Got a call a few hours later saying they couldn't duplicate the issue, no trouble found. Once again I mentioned there is a TSB that should cover this issue and at least look at the S/W version, but apparently I'm just a dumb customer that doesn't know anything. Said they were going to take another look, we'll see what they come back with.

May need some support from @RamCares if the dealer continues to ignore the TSB.

46Indian

Reaction score
Print out the TSB and give it to the dealer. My dealer can’t think either. But with the TSB numbers, they took care of it. They claim it showed up when they attached the reader under the dash as a task needing to be done. So far, 2 weeks later no problem. Time will tell.

dunehiker

Reaction score
Print out the TSB and give it to the dealer. My dealer can’t think either. But with the TSB numbers, they took care of it. They claim it showed up when they attached the reader under the dash as a task needing to be done. So far, 2 weeks later no problem. Time will tell.

Unfortunately they probably would've said no thanks or trashed it since I had it right in front of them on my phone and they couldn't be bothered to copy it down. Anyways, they eventually "got approval" to do the S/W upgrade from the TSB, even though they "weren't able to duplicate the problem." Now we'll see if the fix holds and the static goes away. We're planning to visit family this weekend so should be a good chance to test it.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck went in today for three issues, the intermittent static in the speaker, stuck homelink button and intermittent passive entry not working. They reflashed the door modules and ordered a new visor, but wouldn't permit me to provide the TSB for the static. They said that the forums have been providing people with repair requirements, so they couldn't take my word for it that there was a TSB and they needed to experience it. I guess I should try a different dealership. They wouldn't even look for the TSB.

dunehiker

Reaction score
My truck went in today for three issues, the intermittent static in the speaker, stuck homelink button and intermittent passive entry not working. They reflashed the door modules and ordered a new visor, but wouldn't permit me to provide the TSB for the static. They said that the forums have been providing people with repair requirements, so they couldn't take my word for it that there was a TSB and they needed to experience it. I guess I should try a different dealership. They wouldn't even look for the TSB.
Sounds like what I dealt with when I brought mine in although they eventually did the TSB after I "politely" told them it only makes sense to proactively do the s/w upgrade per the TSB. I understand repair places not wanting to maybe tear into an engine on a report from a forum, but looking into a TSB seems pretty simple to me. And considering it took a little while for me to get an appointment it seems they are pretty busy so something to speed up the process should be appreciated. Quick story, last month I was visiting family and they started having AC issues so they called the company they normally use and they were trying to get somebody out. In the meantime I started checking things out and tried to see if I could do anything to fix. I narrowed it down to most likely low on refrigerant so when the tech got there I told him what I did and what I was thinking and he went straight to the unit outside, verified with his gauges and added some refrigerant. He did a few quick system checks but was done in about 30 mins and since it was his last call of the day he was happy to be on his way home early (still close to 7).

46Indian

Reaction score
One month later after the TSB…… and no static !!!!

Oilslick

Reaction score
Today while driving my radio sound went from crystal clear sound to static from all speakers in an instant. I tried all sources with no change. I have the Alpine system in the 8.4 NAV UConnect. I tried shutting it down for 10 min or so and still no good. But after shutting it down for an hour or so, everything went back to normal with no static....for now. This is weird.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Today while driving my radio sound went from crystal clear sound to static from all speakers in an instant. I tried all sources with no change. I have the Alpine system in the 8.4 NAV UConnect. I tried shutting it down for 10 min or so and still no good. But after shutting it down for an hour or so, everything went back to normal with no static....for now. This is weird.
Hi Oilslick,
If you decide to have this concern diagnosed by your local dealer, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to provide additional support.

Sarah
Ram Cares

gordpinard

Reaction score
My truck has the HK and the 12" UConnect and shortly after picking up the truck I had a similar intermittent static problem - for the most part, mine was only in the right dash speaker. Like you, it happened on all sources and wasnt solved by turning it off for a brief period of time. When shut off for an extended period of time (usually over night) the next start was perfect. I took it in to the dealer and they found a TSB (see my earlier post for the number) which solved the problem and it has not happened since - several months without a problem so I think I can declare victory. Hopefully you have the same success with the TSB.

Shawn19

Reaction score
I have a 22 with the 8” screen and the base 6 speaker. Right front dash and door sound blown. Any one out there have a 22 with wireless CarPlay with the same issue?

At times gets better, but it has been pretty consistent the past week.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I’m having issues related to this (after a repair in which the dash had to be removed) and found a temporary solution until the truck goes back in. I cannot say for sure that this will work for this problem, but, put a 1/8” jack into the aux port. I was having all kinds of issues from settings jumping around to some of those static pops. It works fine with the 1/8 jack in place. It’s not a permanent solution but at least it’s something.

Attachments

• BC12CA25-B4C3-4AC4-A42F-6F983DCDB7E2.jpeg
    BC12CA25-B4C3-4AC4-A42F-6F983DCDB7E2.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

outlaw24

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! I have the exact same issue. I thought I was crazy since sometimes the problem was there and other times it was good. Even stranger was I noticed it MORE at LOW volumes Usually a blown speaker would be better at low volume. I'll give the TSB info to my dealer before my next oil change (and DEF recall) and see if it gets fixed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/