5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire WARNING

clarkehaven

Reaction score
I am sitting along the highway as I type this. My worst fear happened on my limited today...hit a pot hole and bent a 22" wheel.......pulled out owners manual...found jack....lowered spare from rear.....jacked up front corner of truck....
Changed tires.......that's when I was dumbfounded by FCA.
Because the spare is a steel (thin) wheel and the 22's are thicker alloy the LUG NUTS WILL NOT TORQUE DOWN!!.....studs are too long......lugs to shallow...whatever!!

$65K TRUCK DOES NOT HAVE SERVICABLE SPARE TIRE.....WAITING FOR TOW....MISSED MY FLIGHT OUT

Is it just me or is this inexcusable from an engineering stand point

#FixItAgainTony

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's total BS. I was so lucky my spare fit when I had my accident... I wasn't about to miss a flight, but still would've been pissed beyond belief had my spare not fit.

You sir have an excellent legal case against FCA.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Subscribed to see what happens with this. That's messed up, and has me wondering about the fact that lug nuts, studs, and spare tires are likely to be the same across trim levels.

surfingcrna

Reaction score
Ya that seems odd. With all the trucks out there to have the spare not fit and there not being a fix already seems unlikely. One person in thread was fine as well. Could it just have been a bad spare wheel? Or are they not OEM rims and the bolts were changed to different ones to accommodate the new wheels?

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Ya that seems odd. With all the trucks out there to have the spare not fit and there not being a fix already seems unlikely. One person in thread was fine as well. Could it just have been a bad spare wheel? Or are they not OEM rims and the bolts were changed to different ones to accommodate the new wheels?

This is a very reasoned response. It does seem odd that it would take this long for the first person to notice the issue.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I'm assuming the studs are threaded all the way down. If so a "fix" would be to get some open ended lug nuts until FCA sorts this.

bravo1

Reaction score
I just was looking under some of the trucks at a dealer's lot and saw a lot of Goodyear temp tire's, mounted on 18 inch steel rim's with 20 inch optional wheels mounted on the trucks.Missed that option on mine...

JoeRam

Reaction score
Just leaving dealership and inquired while there about the spare tire issue, checked a few in the lot and noticed something odd. Some have aluminum spares and some with steel. having never looked under mine till now, I have the aluminum wheel, not th same as the 22” wheel on truck but aluminum non the less. I am wondering when that service bulletin will be going out. I will post up some pictures later.

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they really did miss that, It's absolutely going to be a recall. Sorry OP you have to be the guinea pig on this one! Almost all wheel and tire packages have their own specific lugs to match each wheel, but the thread spec will always be driven by the stud. Generally, you're supposed to account for when the spare is in use as well... Unless they provide a set of spare lugs for the specific spare wheel? Or did you get a spare wheel for a different trim / wheel package truck, when you were supposed to get an aluminum one because of your lugs? This could get pretty interesting.

Maple

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the 22" wheels came from the factory, or if the dealer swapped them out and forget to swap out the spare. Completely possible that the mistake was made at the factory, but honestly I hope it was just the dealer not making the connection and the list of vehicles that need fixing is a lot smaller.

JoeRam

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the 22" wheels came from the factory, or if the dealer swapped them out and forget to swap out the spare. Completely possible that the mistake was made at the factory, but honestly I hope it was just the dealer not making the connection and the list of vehicles that need fixing is a lot smaller.
Well from what I have seen just this morning at my local dealership, this is not a dealership swapping wheels issue, its a factory issue mounting the wrong spare on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread