5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire WARNING

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just checked mine, Aluminum, I have to say that I wondered why they would go with a more expensive Aluminum wheel for a spare as opposed to stamped steel. Now it is clear, the mounting hub thickness matches the 22" wheels, therefore the lugs will work.
Except that some of us with factory 22”s have steel spares, so it may be just be luck of the draw. As long as it fits fine, I don’t really care since it’s a spare.

Alhurt

Reaction score
I have limited with off road package and 20” wheels. My spare is the aluminum one as well.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
Double checked mine last night, it is aluminum. Doesn't look like there is a pattern yet that determines why some trucks get steel while others have aluminum. I have the factory 22's without the off road package.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
I don't have the limited but I have the ORP. I looked under mine when I got it to confirm I got a matching tire which I did. I noticed that I had a steel wheel but didn't think too much of it because I thought I remembered seeing that the Rebel came with an aluminum wheel but not the Laramie. Also, most spares I've seen have been steel wheels. I haven't tried to put the spare tire on yet so I don't know if I have an issue. Has anyone else tried their steel wheel to see if there was an issue with the lug nut fit?

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
I have a steel wheel. Laramie with the 20" wheel upgrade. Has anyone confirmed whether the thickness of the 20s vs 22s are different?

cjmst23

Reaction score
Has anyone else with 22s and a STEEL spare tested the fit?

JoeRam

Reaction score
Except that some of us with factory 22”s have steel spares, so it may be just be luck of the draw. As long as it fits fine, I don’t really care since it’s a spare.
Did you confirm that the steel wheel works?

Brady_SS

Reaction score
I noticed something the other day looking at my window sticker, on the options list, slightly indented, right underneath the 5.7L etorque listing is an entry for the aluminum spare. I'm thinking eTorque Hemi's get the aluminum spare whereas Non-eTorque Hemi's get steel.

CarRamRod

Reaction score
I noticed something the other day looking at my window sticker, on the options list, slightly indented, right underneath the 5.7L etorque listing is an entry for the aluminum spare. I'm thinking eTorque Hemi's get the aluminum spare whereas Non-eTorque Hemi's get steel.
I have 5.7L eTorque with 20" polished wheels. There is no listing on the sticker for an aluminum spare, only a 18" steel listed under standard equipment. I haven't actually checked mine yet, but I will look at it this evening.

I don't think the eTorque upgrade is connected to the aluminum spare. I noticed when I was shopping for mine that the window stickers were fairly inconsistent across multiple trucks especially with the 5.7L HEMI listing. There were often line items that were mistakenly indented under the engine listing that made it appear as if it were part of the engine upgrade. Is there are price next to the aluminum spare listing?

JoeRam

Reaction score
I have 5.7L eTorque with 20" polished wheels. There is no listing on the sticker for an aluminum spare, only a 18" steel listed under standard equipment. I haven't actually checked mine yet, but I will look at it this evening.

I don't think the eTorque upgrade is connected to the aluminum spare. I noticed when I was shopping for mine that the window stickers were fairly inconsistent across multiple trucks especially with the 5.7L HEMI listing. There were often line items that were mistakenly indented under the engine listing that made it appear as if it were part of the engine upgrade. Is there are price next to the aluminum spare listing?
No. There is not a price listed with that item on my Window Sticker.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First, the important s....t. Got tired of waiting for someone else to do the dirty work for me, so I just completed testing my steel rim spare on my vehicle. It worked fine!!!

That being said, I, if given the chance will never change a wheel on this vehicle again. I have road service and that is what I will use, and if can't get road service, I will call an Uber! Before I got this, my first Ram truck, I never had wheels this big. (22's on a Limited). They look great but to me are huge!

Okay, so much on that, now on to the mystery. When I took my jack kit out there was this little white funnel like tube strapped to the tool bag. About 6 inches long. Would appreciate someone familiar with FCA or Ram trucks to tell me what it is used for. Looked in the manual in regards to tire changing and could not find anything.

Cheers!

Oh, one more thing, it would be nice if the fellow who started this whole thread filled us in on what were the results of his original problem.

S

Smashy71

First, the important s....t. Got tired of waiting for someone else to do the dirty work for me, so I just completed testing my steel rim spare on my vehicle. It worked fine!!!

That being said, I, if given the chance will never change a wheel on this vehicle again. I have road service and that is what I will use, and if can't get road service, I will call an Uber! Before I got this, my first Ram truck, I never had wheels this big. (22's on a Limited). They look great but to me are huge!

Okay, so much on that, now on to the mystery. When I took my jack kit out there was this little white funnel like tube strapped to the tool bag. About 6 inches long. Would appreciate someone familiar with FCA or Ram trucks to tell me what it is used for. Looked in the manual in regards to tire changing and could not find anything.

Cheers!

Oh, one more thing, it would be nice if the fellow who started this whole thread filled us in on what were the results of his original problem.

I believe it’s a funnel for putting additives in your tank because of the capless syystem. Stab it in there keeps the little flap open while your adding whatever.

SuperShortMag

Reaction score

Cheers!

Look at the picture on the inside of your gas cap door. It shows a funnel located under your seat

JoeRam

Reaction score
The Big Question to this whole thread is, those with the Aluminum Wheels that have a Steel Spare, other then the OP, has anyone tried to fit up the Steel Wheel?

Users who are viewing this thread