5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire WARNING

geotex1

Reaction score
One more thing to check when the rain stops here... I have the 20-inch painted-polished factory wheels and know the spare is definitely an 18" steel wheel. That's going to chaps my hide if true! The lugnuts for my 2014 with factory 20-inch aluminum wheels were extra deep and easily accommodated the steel wheel spare. So, this would not be an engineering oversight, but the work of the bean counter!

JoeRam

Reaction score
As promised here are pictures of the Aluminum Spare which does in fact bolt up.

Attachments

• IMG_1120[1].JPG
    IMG_1120[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 433
  • IMG_1119[1].JPG
    IMG_1119[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 442
  • IMG_1118[1].JPG
    IMG_1118[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 424

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed @jamesfg had an aluminum spare on his Rebel and I got a black steel rim spare on my Rebel with a Falken tire like the Sport trims.

Just another FCA f***-up. :rolleyes:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As promised here are pictures of the Aluminum Spare which does in fact bolt up.

Interesting pics. I thought only the ORG got the full size spare including the aluminum wheel. I had just assumed that all non-ORG trucks had a steel temp wheel.

I've got that same wheel with a matching Falken AT tire that came as part of the Off-Road Group. Hadn't seen one with the temp tire on it.

tjthomps5629

Reaction score
Looks like mine is a black steel wheel on my LongHorn. I have not had time to drop it and check if it bolts up properly.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Adding a data point...

On my Limited the spare is the aluminum wheel.

JoeRam

Reaction score
It appears the factory was not consistent with the spare. The dealership near me had 2 Limited's on the lot, as well as the the service managers personal unit, which all had steel wheels.

LaRamie

Reaction score
I bet there was a change somewhere along the line on build dates where aluminum wheel became standard instead of steel. Aluminum 18" spare under ours.
Interesting pics. I thought only the ORG got the full size spare including the aluminum wheel. I had just assumed that all non-ORG trucks had a steel temp wheel.

18" aluminum spare vs 20" painted/polished on truck

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am sitting along the highway as I type this. My worst fear happened on my limited today...hit a pot hole and bent a 22" wheel.......pulled out owners manual...found jack....lowered spare from rear.....jacked up front corner of truck....
Changed tires.......that's when I was dumbfounded by FCA.
Because the spare is a steel (thin) wheel and the 22's are thicker alloy the LUG NUTS WILL NOT TORQUE DOWN!!.....studs are too long......lugs to shallow...whatever!!
Par for the course. Half *** engineering at its finest.

$65K TRUCK DOES NOT HAVE SERVICABLE SPARE TIRE.....WAITING FOR TOW....MISSED MY FLIGHT OUT

Is it just me or is this inexcusable from an engineering stand point

#FixItAgainTony

surfingcrna

Reaction score
I am sitting along the highway as I type this. My worst fear happened on my limited today...hit a pot hole and bent a 22" wheel.......pulled out owners manual...found jack....lowered spare from rear.....jacked up front corner of truck....
Changed tires.......that's when I was dumbfounded by FCA.
Because the spare is a steel (thin) wheel and the 22's are thicker alloy the LUG NUTS WILL NOT TORQUE DOWN!!.....studs are too long......lugs to shallow...whatever!!

$65K TRUCK DOES NOT HAVE SERVICABLE SPARE TIRE.....WAITING FOR TOW....MISSED MY FLIGHT OUT

Is it just me or is this inexcusable from an engineering stand point

#FixItAgainTony
Never saw and update from the OP about the situation unless I missed it. Would be helpful to know.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My spare is steel (black), so YMMV...

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpeg
    IMG_0307.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Steel as well... LT 275/65R18
Seeing if it fits is for another day...

Spare.png

Brady_SS

Reaction score
I'm going to have to crawl underneath and check tonight. My build sheet says I have code W1FP 18" Aluminum Spare Wheel.

Last edited:

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Just checked mine, Aluminum, I have to say that I wondered why they would go with a more expensive Aluminum wheel for a spare as opposed to stamped steel. Now it is clear, the mounting hub thickness matches the 22" wheels, therefore the lugs will work.

Attachments

• IMG_5126.JPG
    IMG_5126.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 192

djwdjw

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread