5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOMETHING BIG IS COMING...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pale Al

Reaction score
I love the TRX, don't get me wrong. The problem is that there is a massive hole in the ram lineup between 5.7 at 350 hp vs the trx at 707.

And I'd prefer something in between, that is not turbo/supercharged. Something to compete with the chevy 6.2.
Yes, I agree. I looked at the Powerwagon but finally went to the Big Horn Hemi. I'm paying almost half the cost for fuel now. The real kick was premium gas that burns a whole in the wallet...

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but the TRX only gets 702 hp. And the 5.7L Hemi gets 395 hp.

What I don't get about the 6.4L is this: You only get 410 hp. That's less than a 4% increase over the 5.7L. There's just not enough of a difference to even talk about. You can probably get that much gain by adding a cold air intake and an exhaust to your 5.7L.

I fixed the typo, thanks.

The 6.4 comes in two variants. The SRT (which is what I'm referring to) found in the car/jeep/grand wagoneer at 470 hp, and the BGE found in the 2500 only. The BGE is what gets 410 hp. The engines are very similar (based off eachother), but the BGE has differences meant for longevity since it will see more severe duty in a heavy duty truck. Oil piston squirters, sodium filled exhaust valves, probably other differences to as it's been a while since I looked into it.

All heavy duty gassers are "down" on HP if you compare them to the half tons at similar displacement, the big reason they derate them is because if they put out less power they run longer.

The SRT would work great in the half ton. We're not working our trucks that hard vs the 2500s. And obviously FCA has confidence in the SRT as well or they wouldn't put it in a massive full size SUV.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody is talking about the Hellcat and TRX.

We're talking about the N/A 6.4, the 392, found in the Challenger, the GC, the Wrangler, and now the Grand Wagoneer.

You can't say "nobody is buying the 6.4 to tow" when there has been no option for the 6.4 in a towing vehicle before the Grand Wagoneer. Nobody buys the challenger/GC to tow, period.

But when you look at the grand wagoneer and compare the 5.7 to the srt/6.4, there is no comparison. It tows more, and gets better MPG.

Many of us hemi guys are dying for the 6.4 and would jump all over it if it was offered. Yes, to tow. And yes, just because it's an awesome engine that sounds amazing and has tons of power.

I suggest you watch this comparison between the 5.7 hemi in a ram vs the 6.4 srt in the grand wagoneer (a massive and heavy suv)

Mpg towing:
9.7 (5.7) vs 9.8 (6.4)
Mpg unloaded:
20.4 (5.7) vs 24.9 (6.4)
0 to 60:
7.63 (5.7) vs 6.46 (6.4)

The 6.4 literally crushes the 5.7 everywhere.

That would be awesome, but the 6.4 Grand Wagoneer is not a SRT, isn't tuned to be an SRT, and isn't the same as the Scat Packs that have the 6.4.

silver billet

Reaction score
That would be awesome, but the 6.4 Grand Wagoneer is not a SRT, isn't tuned to be an SRT, and isn't the same as the Scat Packs that have the 6.4.

It's the same engine just detuned a little. The 5.7 doesn't make the same power either in every application, still the same engine.

Pale Al

Reaction score
There a reason the Hellcat and TRX are supercharged and it's not for towing. If I'm buying a SRT Ram, well, I guess we already have that in the TRX. A 6.4L in a Ram would just be a R/T as long as it's not the same 6.4 as used in the HD trucks
FWIW I was towing that Bullett camper trailer with TRX out on a four-lane highway a few miles from town. I'm in the passing lane cruising, a Tundra came up beside me on my right. This caused a knee-jerk reaction to send it. Let's just say, I didn't see the Tundra anymore......(three times the weight).

silver billet

Reaction score
FWIW I was towing that Bullett camper trailer with TRX out on a four-lane highway a few miles from town. I'm in the passing lane cruising, a Tundra came up beside me on my right. This caused a knee-jerk reaction to send it. Let's just say, I didn't see the Tundra anymore......(three times the weight).

TFL did an episode of the TRX pulling an offroad trailer. It almost accelerated faster 0 to 60 with that heavy trailer than mine does empty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not saying it cant tow, but that's not what it was built for. Just like a SRT 1500 with a 6.4l wouldn't be built for towing.

I would love to have a 6.4 RWD street truck Ram. But just like people who buy the SRT versions of other models, they dont buy them for work vehicles, they buy them for fun.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's the same engine just detuned a little. The 5.7 doesn't make the same power either in every application, still the same engine.
Read my words. It's not a SRT Grand Wagoneer. Wasn't designed to be a SRT. If it was, it would t have the same tow rating. The SRT Durango with the 6.4l has the same tow rating as a 5.7l Dursngo. You don't buy SRT vehicles for towing so not sure why it's even a debate over it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nobody is talking about the Hellcat and TRX.

We're talking about the N/A 6.4, the 392, found in the Challenger, the GC, the Wrangler, and now the Grand Wagoneer.

You can't say "nobody is buying the 6.4 to tow" when there has been no option for the 6.4 in a towing vehicle before the Grand Wagoneer. Nobody buys the challenger/GC to tow, period.

But when you look at the grand wagoneer and compare the 5.7 to the srt/6.4, there is no comparison. It tows more, and gets better MPG.

Many of us hemi guys are dying for the 6.4 and would jump all over it if it was offered. Yes, to tow. And yes, just because it's an awesome engine that sounds amazing and has tons of power.

I suggest you watch this comparison between the 5.7 hemi in a ram vs the 6.4 srt in the grand wagoneer (a massive and heavy suv)

Mpg towing:
9.7 (5.7) vs 9.8 (6.4)
Mpg unloaded:
20.4 (5.7) vs 24.9 (6.4)
0 to 60:
7.63 (5.7) vs 6.46 (6.4)

The 6.4 literally crushes the 5.7 everywhere.

He says the ram recommended fuel is 87 octane. 😬

silver billet

Reaction score
Read my words. It's not a SRT Grand Wagoneer. Wasn't designed to be a SRT. If it was, it would t have the same tow rating. The SRT Durango with the 6.4l has the same tow rating as a 5.7l Dursngo. You don't buy SRT vehicles for towing so not sure why it's even a debate over it.

You're getting lost in a meaningless label like "SRT". I couldn't care less about the label. I just want the same 392 engine they use in those vehicles and now the grand wagoneer. Notice how the grand wagoneer is not an SRT either, yet its the exact same engine.

If it helps you get past it; I'll refrase my preference. Ram, please give us the 6.4/392 found in the grand wagoneer currently putting out about 470 hp.

Pale Al

Reaction score
TFL did an episode of the TRX pulling an offroad trailer. It almost accelerated faster 0 to 60 with that heavy trailer than mine does empty.
Yes! I went from 55 to 95mph in a few seconds, pulling a two axle camper! (still smoked the Tundra....)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're getting lost in a meaningless label like "SRT". I couldn't care less about the label. I just want the same 392 engine they use in those vehicles and now the grand wagoneer. Notice how the grand wagoneer is not an SRT either, yet its the exact same engine.

If it helps you get past it; I'll refrase my preference. Ram, please give us the 6.4/392 found in the grand wagoneer currently putting out about 470 hp.
I'm not the one trying to apply the SRT label to the engine.

Your I itism question is why they can't put the 6.4 in the trucks as well as the Hurricane. I said the Hurricane makes more HP and Torque so there really is no need for the 6.4. you want that e fine that bridges the gap between the 5.7 and TRX, well, you have it. It's just a turbo charged inline 6 that will out perform the 6.4, and not hurt the CAFE ratings as badly.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I never said it was either
ummm. Yes you did.

If I'm buying a SRT Ram, well, I guess we already have that in the TRX.
The TRX is the SRT Ram.
In case people don't know what SRT stands. "Street and Racing Technology"

What I said was
I'm not saying the TRX can't drive on pavement but that's not what it was built for.
SRT= driving on pavement unless i'm confusing what streets and racing are lol.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ummm. Yes you did.

In case people don't know what SRT stands. "Street and Racing Technology"

What I said was

SRT= driving on pavement unless i'm confusing what streets and racing are lol.
Talk about arguing semantics. Mr SRT 6.4. And people race off-road as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread