5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you want to tow a camper! Discussion thread.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If my tongue weight rating is 1275#, how can the vehicle only carry 1190#?
Ok so, got to clarify before I start. Assume an answer and you know what happens.

1275 tongue weight rating. You are meaning the max rating for the 1500 series trucks, right? Not the proposed tongue weight of the trailer?

This is an easy answer...maybe you already realize it.

If the wdh transfers about 20% - 30% of the tongue weight to the trailer axles
Where did you get this info? Not helping your situation unfortunately!

If we take this set up and go camping, are we gonna die a grisly death in a ditch on the side of the road due to the rig being overweight?
You shouldn't die a grisly death in a ditch, but looking like it might not be real fun!

Gold Dust VA

Reaction score
Ok so, got to clarify before I start. Assume an answer and you know what happens.

1275 tongue weight rating. You are meaning the max rating for the 1500 series trucks, right? Not the proposed tongue weight of the trailer?

This is an easy answer...maybe you already realize it.

Where did you get this info? Not helping your situation unfortunately!

You shouldn't die a grisly death in a ditch, but looking like it might not be real fun!

Gold Dust VA

Reaction score
The 2021 RAM Limited w/ eTorque and RAM Air Suspension is rated at 1275# tongue weight, a couple hundred pounds higher than standard RAM 1500s.
I'm looking at about 950# on the hitch right now

My info about the weight xfer came from the WDH manufacturer's website, explaining what a wdh is claimed to help with...

irishwake63

Reaction score
The 2021 RAM Limited w/ eTorque and RAM Air Suspension is rated at 1275# tongue weight, a couple hundred pounds higher than standard RAM 1500s.

My info about the weight xfer came from the WDH manufacturer's website, explaining what a wdh is claimed to help with...
tongue weight is based on your payload the yellow sticker on the drivers door

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

What I thought about the tongue weight.

Well, I never hear that an air suspension truck has more. But, I don't keep up anymore.

I am rather sure though, 1275 is the maximum tongue weight on all 1500 series trucks. It is the capacity of the hitch system.

This is so a guy with say 1750 lbs of payload knows, he is limited to 1250lbs with a WDH on his tongue weight.

Anyone with less, say like you, is limited to their payload capacity...minus any other cargo and passengers.

As far as the movement of weight by the WDH, you still have that weight on the tongue, if something should fail on the system.

You also need to base your loaded tongue weight number closer to the GVWR number on the camper. They are almost never at the dry weight they give you, and every pound you add, some of that goes to the inflated number!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1190 on the payload sticker.
425 passengers
45 pounds for the WDH (wow that is light...I think my ball mount on my truck weighs 45 lbs)

So as you mentioned your truck has a GVWR of 7100 lbs axles at 3900 and 4100.

Maximum tongue weight of 1275 is mute.

Need the GVWR of your camper if you know it.

And a Hemi with 3.92 gears has a 17000 lb GCWR.

You have to decide what you feel comfortable with. I tow a 6200 lb camper with a 2500 crew cab long bed truck and there are times I curse expansion joints and cross winds.

So, the numbers.

Immediately, you see max tow numbers won't work for you. First off,they calculate at a 10% tongue weight and a camper typically has between 12 and 15 and has a frontal area that isn't figured in with the process for max tow.

1190 minus your passengers and hitch is limiting you to a max tongue weight of 720 lbs. A long way from the max of 1275. Max sense now.

Got to get to work. Be back in a few to talk about the best case scenario with "numbers"

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
7100-1190 is a base weight of 5910.

A gas truck has a 60/40 split empty.

Front axle should be 3546~ and rear 2364~

With the 17000 GVWR you have 11090 available for passengers, cargo, and trailer. But you are payload limited on how big a trailer you can pull.

Let me know if this makes sense to you, or if you want me to continue...so I don't waste our time.

Assuming you already bought the camper?

So, GVWR is no issue. Rear axle is no issue. GCWR is no issue. Hitch system with WDH is no issue.

Now you know why they call the trim Limited. Your payload is LIMITED !

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep it simple.

Only number you need to be concerned with in a high trim half ton is payload. You’ll exceed that before any other rating.

Coachmen’s website says GVWR of your trailer is 7,600 lbs.

At minimum you will plan for 10% of GVWR to be tongue weight (TW), and TW comes right off your payload as stated on the yellow sticker in the driver door jamb of your specific truck (not any other figure you might find on the internet).

So 1,190 lbs payload minus 760 lbs TW = 430 lbs remaining.

This means you have 430 lbs to account for every person or thing you put in or on the truck.

That includes the WDH, which I usually factor at 75-100 lbs.

So take 100 lbs from your 430 and you have 330 lbs left for people and snacks.

What does it all mean?

Means if it’s just 2 svelte travelers the math checks out.

And that absolutely nothing should go inside or on the truck that isn’t absolutely necessary- all other cargo in the trailer.

If you can’t make the numbers work, you seem smart enough to know already it’s not the end of the world FUNCTIONALLY. Eg your truck won’t explode at 1 lb over.

It’s just good to know whether you are over a little or a lot.

One can wind up in a grizzly situation in a ditch even being well within the numbers.

All that said, someone will probably be along shortly to talk about the legal implications of being overweight.
Not me, I’m tired of that discussion.
It simply boils down to drive as carefully as you should towing any weight, and do whatever you can to not get into an accident. Otherwise lawyers and insurance companies will make life suck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Keep it simple.

Only number you need to be concerned with in a high trim half ton is payload. You’ll exceed that before any other rating.

Coachmen’s website says GVWR of your trailer is 7,600 lbs.

At minimum you will plan for 10% of GVWR to be tongue weight (TW), and TW comes right off your payload as stated on the yellow sticker in the driver door jamb of your specific truck (not any other figure you might find on the internet).

So 1,190 lbs payload minus 760 lbs TW = 430 lbs remaining.

This means you have 430 lbs to account for every person or thing you put in or on the truck.

That includes the WDH, which I usually factor at 75-100 lbs.

So take 100 lbs from your 430 and you have 330 lbs left for people and snacks.

What does it all mean?

Means if it’s just 2 svelte travelers the math checks out.

And that absolutely nothing should go inside or on the truck that isn’t absolutely necessary- all other cargo in the trailer.

If you can’t make the numbers work, you seem smart enough to know already it’s not the end of the world FUNCTIONALLY. Eg your truck won’t explode at 1 lb over.

It’s just good to know whether you are over a little or a lot.

One can wind up in a grizzly situation in a ditch even being well within the numbers.

All that said, someone will probably be along shortly to talk about the legal implications of being overweight.
Not me, I’m tired of that discussion.
It simply boils down to drive as carefully as you should towing any weight, and do whatever you can to not get into an accident. Otherwise lawyers and insurance companies will make life suck.
I agree with absolutely everything except the tongue weight number. The manufacture claims 850 at the dry weight. Campers are typically 13 to 15%. They say dry it is at almost 14%. Add in the propane and battery(ies) It is going to be real close to 15% . almost everyone loads their camper to near GVWR...bet a lot are exceeding it. So let's so give the benefit of doubt...say 7500 at the 13.6 % your looking at over a thousand pounds of Tongue weight.

But even at that...just using manufacturer numbers and OP numbers...90 for bottles and battery, 45 for hitch...he is at 985~ pounds before loading a single bed sheet in the camper.

Guess the dog is driving and they have to ride in the camper... :p

If he already owns the camper, guess he got to do it.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with absolutely everything except the tongue weight number. The manufacture claims 850 at the dry weight. Campers are typically 13 to 15%. They say dry it is at almost 14%. Add in the propane and battery(ies) It is going to be real close to 15% . almost everyone loads their camper to near GVWR...bet a lot are exceeding it. So let's so give the benefit of doubt...say 7500 at the 13.6 % your looking at over a thousand pounds of Tongue weight.

But even at that...just using manufacturer numbers and OP numbers...90 for bottles and battery, 45 for hitch...he is at 985~ pounds before loading a single bed sheet in the camper.

Guess the dog is driving and they have to ride in the camper... :p

If he already owns the camper, guess he got to do it.

Very true, I usually use 12% or 13% calculations myself in most cases.
Good point about Travel trailers and all the crap that gets added to the tongue.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
I'm no expert but tow a 26' travel trailer with a 1500 similar but 3.21s and no stork. I don't think your tongue is really that much, my truck handles it just fine.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New to this forum and looking for some solid answers, since the intertubes are full of witchcraft and hobbits! I'm driving a 2021 eTorgue 5.7 Hemi Limited, fully loaded, 5.5 foot bed, 3.92 rear, air bags all around. I love this truck as it's the most lux vehicle I've ever owned...bought it used last September. My dear bride decided this past March that we need a camping trailer....a Northern Spirit 2659bh Ultra Light.
Dry weight of the trailer is 6172#, gas bottles and battery add another 90#, Recurve R3 wdh adds another 45#. Me, wife and little dog add 425# to the cabin.
Here's my conundrum: The door sticker shows GVWR at 7100# GAWR rear at 4100#, GAWR front 3900#. The tire sticker warns to never, ever, not even on a dare, exceed 1190# total cargo weight.
We'll be dragging this flying brick only a couple hundred miles at any given time, maybe 4-5 times a year. Most of our 'stuff' will be loaded over and behind the trailer axles (dual) with the knowledge that some weight has to be stored forward for stability.
Couple of questions: If my tongue weight rating is 1275#, how can the vehicle only carry 1190#?
If the wdh transfers about 20% - 30% of the tongue weight to the trailer axles, will this allow me and the wife to actually ride together in the truck?
If we take this set up and go camping, are we gonna die a grisly death in a ditch on the side of the road due to the rig being overweight?
Thanks in advance...Looking forward to not dying any time soon...
good luck. Opinions are free, and worth what they cost.

Gold Dust VA

Reaction score
Okay...well, I've made the decision to move along and upgrade to a RAM 2500 4x4 diesel. At least this way I'll be able to put a couple of eggs and some bacon in the camper fridge and maybe my bottle of Makers Mark! The rig I'm looking at has a GVWR of 10,000# so I'm not going to be worried about pulling my little 31' trailer.
I bought the 1500 Limited last September and it has been my most favorite vehicle ever (and in my life I've owned at least 12)....it's going to be heartbreaking to see her go...
Thanks for the input, everyone....

Attachments

• New Rig.jpg
    New Rig.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 16

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay...well, I've made the decision to move along and upgrade to a RAM 2500 4x4 diesel. At least this way I'll be able to put a couple of eggs and some bacon in the camper fridge and maybe my bottle of Makers Mark! The rig I'm looking at has a GVWR of 10,000#

You’re focusing on the wrong number.

Yes the 2500 has a 10,000 lb GVWR but that diesel is heavy and reduces payload down to a being similar to a 1500

mzflorida

Reaction score
Do you own the truck of is it ordered?

Your payload is 1357 and can be found on your door jamb

The 1800 is for configuration at a tradesman trim.

You can see this argument many times here.

You need to enter your VIN to get the accurate info...which it seems you did

This is described in the second post of the companion thread to this thread. See the first post of this thread for the link
I am reading this front to back as I am preparing to buy a travel trailer. Has the VIN towing & payload lookup site been updated? IT seems to be missing and google is returning generic charts.

mzflorida

Reaction score
My sticker says total load should be 989 pounds. Gosh that seems so low. That suggest that me and 3 of my male family members would overload the truck. We're big Polish guys...not tremendously overweight, just big guys.

Davidbt

Reaction score
My sticker says total load should be 989 pounds. Gosh that seems so low. That suggest that me and 3 of my male family members would overload the truck. We're big Polish guys...not tremendously overweight, just big guys.
You have a fully loaded Limited plus the Eco diesel. Hence your very low payload.

Davidbt

Reaction score
The problem with the 2500 or 3500 is the ride, empty, for me. I guess I'm getting old.
My 2016 2500 and 2018 3500 didn't have the nanny light. My 3500 I would run my tire pressure so it would be a little more comfortable. Even now that I'm running E rated tires on my 1500, I run them very close to door sticker.

Users who are viewing this thread