5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you want to tow a camper! Discussion thread.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@RedSox10NG you got a great truck for towing a camper.
6900 with 795 tongue is about 12%.

Most campers do not include the batteries and propane. This is probably the case here as well. So you will add about 100lbs or more there.

Let's just say 900

At 8000 and 12% you will have 960. And if the camper remains loaded the same would be good.

But if you do have to add in the propane and batteries...you could...depending on how you load it...you could get to 1200.

But the weight distribution will help keep the weight to the front axle and you will be good to go

Just giving examples of how quick it can add up

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
@RedSox10NG you got a great truck for towing a camper.
6900 with 795 tongue is about 12%.

Most campers do not include the batteries and propane. This is probably the case here as well. So you will add about 100lbs or more there.

Let's just say 900

At 8000 and 12% you will have 960. And if the camper remains loaded the same would be good.

But if you do have to add in the propane and batteries...you could...depending on how you load it...you could get to 1200.

But the weight distribution will help keep the weight to the front axle and you will be good to go

You are awesome, I've followed yours and several others posts and tried to hide in the shadows, but finally felt obligated to post my questions.

Besides the additional actual hitch weight and price, any downsides to getting the larger capacity WDH? Was planning on 1000#, but could go with the 1200# I guess...

Any WDH brand recommendations are also greatly appreciated!

Thanks again all!

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
Also noobies question, in your most recent post it appears tongue weight changes with overall camping weight, is that correct?

Makes sense, just never thought of it that way

dannw1431

Reaction score
1800 payload? Is that off your door sticker or website? Since you have a 4x4 I will assume you got this number off the website.

I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L eTorque 3.92 rear axel.

The payload I have is 1357lbs, max towing 11257lbs, both from the website

What impact does my 4-corner air suspension have if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Tongue weight changes with everything you add to the camper. The position in the camper also changes what it can add or even take away from tongue weight.

You really do not want to go to the 1200lb over the 1000lb. The 1200 could adversely affect the situation.

Never be concerned to ask a question. We all like to talk about it. Sometimes you got to sort through opinion fact and experience. Each changes with each question.

Thanks for joining the discussion @RedSox10NG

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The Air suspension initially took away from your available payload. But ultimately it adds alot to the towing experience and is a good option to have

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have no problem towing with the 4 corner air and rather enjoy it. Smooths out the rough road. I also installed the Hellwig and went to a stiffer sidewall tire which got rid of the soft feel/side roll in the rear end.

RedSox10NG

Reaction score

You really do not want to go to the 1200lb over the 1000lb. The 1200 could adversely affect the situation
I'm leaning towards a Curt WDH with away bars #17501. Rated for tongue 1000#-1500# and trailer 10000#-15000#.

Obviously my setup is on the lower end of the ranges, but WDH weight, price, and piece of mind for future upgrades lead me to this WDH/sway setup.

Any mechanical, inefficient towing, or long term detriments with being on the lower end of the started ranges?

Thanks again! Screenshot_20210117-064422.png

dannw1431

Reaction score
The tongue weight listed on the trailer manufacture's web site is not as accurate as they seem. They have no idea how much weight you will be putting in the trailer or how it will be loaded, plus the stuff you will be putting in the truck bed. So a trailer that has a listed tongue weight of 350lbs could easily go over 500lbs. Try this: Measure the distance from the ground to the fender wheel well (on level surface) rear wheel. Hook the trailer up and then take the same measurement. In my opinion if you have more than 1" then you need to add a WDH. Most of my friends that trailer/camp use the 15% of trailer weight as their tongue weight, as opposed to the manufacturer list.

I have conflicting information. The Ram website says my (2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4, 5’7” bed, 3.92axel,5.7L etourque) payload is 1357lbs, and the FCA (Fiat, Chrysler Automotive) chart states the payload is 1800lbs. Who do you believe?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have conflicting information. The Ram website says my (2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4, 5’7” bed, 3.92axel,5.7L etourque) payload is 1357lbs, and the FCA (Fiat, Chrysler Automotive) chart states the payload is 1800lbs. Who do you believe?

Do you own the truck of is it ordered?

Your payload is 1357 and can be found on your door jamb

The 1800 is for configuration at a tradesman trim.

You can see this argument many times here.

You need to enter your VIN to get the accurate info...which it seems you did

This is described in the second post of the companion thread to this thread. See the first post of this thread for the link

dannw1431

Reaction score

This is described in the second post of the companion thread to this thread. See the first post of this thread for the link

Thanks for your comment. I found the 1358lbs reference on my door jam. It didn’t say “payload” rather it clearly stated “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 615KG or 1358lbs”.

Also I own the truck (2021 Ram Laramie 1500 4x4, Crew cab, 5.7L eTorque, 3.91 axel) and have started looking for a travel trailer now, for my wife and I. We are retiring at the end of May, and want to travel the USA with our new truck and trailer. One trailer I liked today weighed 6791lbs dry, hitch weight 946lbs. With my wife and I, the payload would add up to 1306lbs, amazingly close to my limit of 1356lbs!

Thanks for the education on this subject

dannw1431

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a Curt WDH with away bars #17501. Rated for tongue 1000#-1500# and trailer 10000#-15000#.

Obviously my setup is on the lower end of the ranges, but WDH weight, price, and piece of mind for future upgrades lead me to this WDH/sway setup.

Any mechanical, inefficient towing, or long term detriments with being on the lower end of the started ranges?

Thanks again! View attachment 79870

I will definitely use a WDH with a sway bar too

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Dann If the dry hitch weight is 946lbs you will be over your payload once you load the trailer. It may be pretty close though

Last edited:

dannw1431

Reaction score
Depends on how he loads it. As long as he keeps sufficient weight on the tongue, he should be fine. Needs to scale it to verify and adjust as needed though.

Thanks for everyone’s advise. I would like a bit more margin on the payload, so I’m going to keep looking at other trailers and lower hitch weights

Johney_40

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forum, found this thread interesting. I acquired a truck and trailer last year so have recently gone through this exercise of weights/limits etc......
Very correct on the advertised weights on trailers being very different ( sometimes ) in what you actually get. I have a grand design XLE 22mLe, great build quality by the way, zero issues in my first summer with it, I highly recommend giving them a look if you are in the market. Anyway, advertised weight of my trailer is 5176lbs and tongue is 490lbs. But what I really got, my trailer came with a detailed weight/load sheet, was 5425lbs of empty weight and 695lbs of tongue weight ( propane, battery included in this ) so something to keep in mind for sure when shopping around.
Also I found this out from the detailed sheet, the street side of trailer is 300lbs heavier then the curb side, this is helpful knowledge for when loading up the trailer and trying to keep things balanced.

Johney_40

Reaction score
ohh forgot, I also have a blu ox weight distribution hitch. I went with this one as it has built in sway control, and relies on a no friction type design. So no adjustments required, no parts wearing out. Compared to my old WDH this one is much easier to hitch/unhitch. And sway control works very well, I live in a pretty windy area of the continent so not unusual to have 20 or 30mph winds and couple times I had the joy of towing in winds pushing 50mph. The sway control worked very well, I had no white knuckle episodes the hitch holds the trailer very steady. It is a more pricey hitch however, but the built in sway control and no friction design is what made me pull the trigger on it. Oh trailer is 26 feet long, tongue to bumper, and probably 6250lbs when loaded up.

dannw1431

Reaction score
ohh forgot, I also have a blu ox weight distribution hitch. I went with this one as it has built in sway control, and relies on a no friction type design. So no adjustments required, no parts wearing out. Compared to my old WDH this one is much easier to hitch/unhitch. And sway control works very well, I live in a pretty windy area of the continent so not unusual to have 20 or 30mph winds and couple times I had the joy of towing in winds pushing 50mph. The sway control worked very well, I had no white knuckle episodes the hitch holds the trailer very steady. It is a more pricey hitch however, but the built in sway control and no friction design is what made me pull the trigger on it. Oh trailer is 26 feet long, tongue to bumper, and probably 6250lbs when loaded up.

Can you share a link of the blue ox wdh? I looked but didn’t see the reference to the sway control feature

Users who are viewing this thread