5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you want to tow a camper! Discussion thread.

Phish Head

Reaction score
This has been edited from the original version to more accurately reflect lessons learned here. This is why I am here.

I just purchased a 2021 Ram Limited Night Edition (TV). The allowable payload is 1,194 lbs and the towing capacity is about 8000 lbs. I just bought, but have not picked up, a Grand Design Imagine 2600RB travel trailer (TT) that has a GVWR of 7,850lbs (UVW: 5,795 lbs) but I figure (now after help from people here) will have to be about 6,100 GVWR as I load it. I will check this on a CAT scale at first opportunity.

CAT scale
https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/

The tongue weight of the TT should be about 12.5% (best case) of the 6,100 lb loaded TT at 813 lbs. So if the cargo of the TV (passengers, dog) weighs 500 lbs, in my situation, and the hitch weight is 763 lbs I will be at 1,263 lbs leaving me still 68 pounds over that I will have to make up for by not filling the fuel tank completely on the TV and/or lose the passenger to a chase car. I have ordered a Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale to make sure I can check if the tongue weight stays in the proper range. I am going to use a Blue Ox WD and sway control to keep everything in line. There is a mechanical engineer on the Grand Design TT forum that has a similar setup as me and he wrote a long detailed post about figuring out all these numbers and how weight gets distributed especially under a stress stop if anyone is interested. The short story is that you need to keep those front tires of the TV planted on the ground and keep your TV and TT in line for a happy experience.

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007REK28M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 Ram Limited Night Edition (TV). The allowable payload is 1790 lbs and the towing capacity is about 8000 lbs.
You have a limited with 1790lbs of payload. You sir hit the lottery. That is a substantial amount for a limited. Is this what your door jamb says? I ask because there are Tradesman trucks that do not have that much. Great job if you were able to option a limited that sparsely.

That is what we have been trying to tell people...they need to scale their load to make sure they have returned enough weight to the steer axle so it can stop and turn. I see lots of people towing with a lightened front end and although they assure me it does fine...i would not want to be around on a wet day trying to make a swooping turn or panic stop.

Glad to see you have paid attention to your numbers and plan to scale it to be sure if what you got.

NWRogue

Reaction score
I don't have my door jam images on this computer, but my 2020 Limited EcoDiesel is 1381 lbs. I to would like to know what you don't have that I do that gets you to 1790lbs. I know my diesel is heavier than the Hemi but that seems high to me from other threads on Limited's. Pretty sure the only option I don't have is the OR package, so my option weight is pretty high.

Phish Head

Reaction score
Limited with 1,790 lbs payload? How is that possible? Id be very interested to see your payload door jam sticker and build options
This is why I think it is always good to discuss things with people who know more than me. Since you brought up the door jam sticker I see that the number I showed 1,790 lbs, from the Dodge website, is not what the yellow sticker says. It says 1,194 lbs. So now I will edit my comment so that it more accurately describes my situation. Thanks for pointing out my error, thats why I am here.

Reaction score
This thread is a great idea.

What would also be useful (but probably outside the scope of this forum) is a webpage specifically for our 5th gen rams where you can input/select your truck stats (4x4, hemi, 3.21/3.92 etc), then enter some basic trailer stats like type (5w, utility, travel) and the weight etc and just hit "calculate" and get presented with some warnings or information letting you know what is going on, or if you are near max etc.
Hi all, long time reader, short time poster.

Going back to the entire reason this thread was started, silver billet mentioned about having a site or calculator that would build all of this information for you (outside of what WDH to go with), giving you a pass or fail if your truck could tow your trailer and gear. Just like a lot of you I'm sure, you have probably followed a number of full time RV'ers or watched You Tube Video's etc. I have been following the "KYD" (Marc and Trish) and Mark goes into a lot of detail about payloads and capacity.
He built this spreadsheet that you simply add in the specs found on the "DOOR JAM" of your truck (I say door jam in quotes as I too have been fooled by what is online), and on your trailer and it will give you green or red lights below. I altered my version slightly to take the payload as a calculation of GVRW minus my real curb weight (from a scale, unloaded with full fuel) as I have added a tonneau cover and KO2 tires. This is something that I am sure we all over look, are any of the aftermarket goodies we add to the trucks, this needs to be considered with payload. But it is a great video to help those who are just starting out and do not understand all of the language or terminology. Watch the video, and below the video is the link to get the calculator. Below here is just a pic of my specs and trailer. Once i'm outfitted, i'm over...... :( bye bye 1500, hello 2500, now to tell the wife......

Payload and Capacity Calculator

2019 Ram 1500 Sport Payload Specs.PNG

BigBear1612

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a Curt WDH with away bars #17501. Rated for tongue 1000#-1500# and trailer 10000#-15000#.

Obviously my setup is on the lower end of the ranges, but WDH weight, price, and piece of mind for future upgrades lead me to this WDH/sway setup.

Any mechanical, inefficient towing, or long term detriments with being on the lower end of the started ranges?

Thanks again! View attachment 79870
Amazon is UnAmerican, DO NOT BUY FROM AMAZON

dannw1431

Reaction score
While I'm towing my trailer, with the trailer plugged in to the truck and running down the highway, will the truck recharge the battery in my trailer/RV?

Reaction score
While I'm towing my trailer, with the trailer plugged in to the truck and running down the highway, will the truck recharge the battery in my trailer/RV?
Yes, but you need to make sure you have power to your 7 way. I have heard with the Ford's that you need to add a fuse and relay, not sure with our Rams or not.
My trailer was just delivered to the dealer and will be stored there still the snow is gone. I have not had the opportunity to check my 7 way yet.
Just keep in mind that the charge you do get from the truck will be minimal. Enough to keep any 12v fridges going and add back to the battery

Reaction score
This is what I am referring to with Power to the 7 way
Aux 12V+ Charging. I am not sure about older trailers, but I know the newer ones typically come set up to accept the 12v current to charge the Battery while driving

1612193855570.png

dannw1431

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I bought a new '21 Ram Laramie and it came with the 7 way plug, along with the trailer towing package, 5.7L etorque, 3.92axel. I've started looking into buying a trailer, ~6000lbs / 28ft long, as the wife and I are retiring at the end of May, and want to tour around the USA, while we are still both healthy (63yrs old)

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I bought a new '21 Ram Laramie and it came with the 7 way plug, along with the trailer towing package, 5.7L etorque, 3.92axel. I've started looking into buying a trailer, ~6000lbs / 28ft long, as the wife and I are retiring at the end of May, and want to tour around the USA, while we are still both healthy (63yrs old)
That is amazing, congratulations. Sounds like your in good shape with the set up, will just need to be careful with the payload capacity. Being a Laramie, I bet your around the 1300lbs payload mark (check your door sticker)
Our trailer is a little longer at 33ft, but dry is 6300lbs and a 630lbs tongue weight. Once we add a weight distribution hitch, battery, propane, and any gear, I bet were at 1000lbs on the truck. Doesn't leave much room for her, myself, kids, etc. We figure we will need a chase vehicle.
But if it is just the two of you, I think you will be just fine unless you get a front kitchen on the TT, that will add a significant amount of tongue weight.

dannw1431

Reaction score
unless you get a front kitchen on the TT, that will add a significant amount of tongue weight.

Thats a good point about the front kitchen. But wouldn't that be included in the tongue weght of the trailer?

Reaction score
unless you get a front kitchen on the TT, that will add a significant amount of tongue weight.

Thats a good point about the front kitchen. But wouldn't that be included in the tongue weght of the trailer?
100% it would be. But there are a lot of people out there that might only look at max tow capacity as their limiter, and not think about tongue weights, and payloads.
Good luck with your shopping experience. The market right now is crazy hot for TT and 5ths. We were down at the dealer on the weekend and got to see ours for the first time. We ordered it the first week of Sept and finally arrived early Jan. Dealers only have limited inventory and appear that they are have yet another record year.
Interested to see what you have in mind.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
100% it would be. But there are a lot of people out there that might only look at max tow capacity as their limiter, and not think about tongue weights, and payloads.
Good luck with your shopping experience. The market right now is crazy hot for TT and 5ths. We were down at the dealer on the weekend and got to see ours for the first time. We ordered it the first week of Sept and finally arrived early Jan. Dealers only have limited inventory and appear that they are have yet another record year.
Interested to see what you have in mind.
Better really go over it with a “fine tooth comb” as rushing production never spells well for quality. Rv’s haven’t been known for quality in the best of times, and the less the price the less they check.

My brother has had 2 Grand Design 5vers (they push their quality) and both have been relatively poorly done for the cost. They did have a 2 yr warranty but he had to take them both back to the factory (!) to get them fixed right. The dealer didn’t have time and told him he would be out of it for several weeks...right during camping season.

He said the factory did it quick and properly but he had to tow them both 2500 miles rt to get it done. And within a couple months he was fixing more items himself...😬🙄

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Better really go over it with a “fine tooth comb” as rushing production never spells well for quality. Rv’s haven’t been known for quality in the best of times, and the less the price the less they check.

My brother has had 2 Grand design 5vers (they push their quality) and both have been relatively poorly done for the cost. They did have a 2 yr warranty but he had to take them both back to the factory (!) to get them fixed right. The dealer didn’t have time and told him he would be out of it for several weeks...right during camping season.

He said the factory did it quick and properly but he had to tow them both 2500 miles rt to get it done. And within a couple months he was fixing more items himself...😬🙄
Yeah, I have heard of some horror stories with TT's and 5vers. I'm a fairly handy guy so I wasn't going to let the small things scare me off, and I took out some extended warranty for the others. If I end up fixing something, it will be done right and better than before, and if I can make it to the off season for anything else, then at least I will have free storage for the winter at the dealership....... :) They can take as long as they please then.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Thanks for your comment. I found the 1358lbs reference on my door jam. It didn’t say “payload” rather it clearly stated “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 615KG or 1358lbs”.

Also I own the truck (2021 Ram Laramie 1500 4x4, Crew cab, 5.7L eTorque, 3.91 axel) and have started looking for a travel trailer now, for my wife and I. We are retiring at the end of May, and want to travel the USA with our new truck and trailer. One trailer I liked today weighed 6791lbs dry, hitch weight 946lbs. With my wife and I, the payload would add up to 1306lbs, amazingly close to my limit of 1356lbs!

Thanks for the education on this subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too close cause you don't just work with "dry weight". The only time your trailer will see a dry weight is when it is delivered to the dealer. I don't know about you but I groan loading up what my wife brings even for a 3 hour drive... "just in case a..." (hurricane, tornado, 3 day sale at the mall, grandkids beg us to stay the night...)

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
@Dann If the dry hitch weight is 946lbs you will be over your payload once you load the trailer. It may be pretty close though
Watch the side to side weights as well. His trailer may have a slide or two and that all has to be balanced out with where the water tanks are etc... Ever seen those slide outs causing the whole trailer to lean??

New 2015 Open Range Roamer 4 Slide Bunkhouse Travel Trailer Nice kitchen w/ island, large sofa / dinette, master wardrobe, two top bunks - one w/ sofa under, and one with dinette under. Outdoor kitchen NO outside door to bath.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/