5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I called FCA about Harman Kardon system.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to hearing the difference since the update was done by my dealer if I ever get my truck back.

Me too. I sent it in and been anxiously waiting to hear the difference. Hope to get it back soon

Hammer1

Reaction score
Me too. I sent it in and been anxiously waiting to hear the difference. Hope to get it back soon
The HK system is insane. I test drove a ram in June with the HK system and laughed at how terrible it was and was going to order a truck with the Alpine system my previous truck had. After they did the update it blows the Alpine system out of the water in both clarity and power.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The HK system is insane. I test drove a ram in June with the HK system and laughed at how terrible it was and was going to order a truck with the Alpine system my previous truck had. After they did the update it blows the Alpine system out of the water in both clarity and power.

My loaner was a 2018 Longhorn 2500 with the Alpine system in it. Couldn't believe how much better my HK system sounded in comparison.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My loaner was a 2018 Longhorn 2500 with the Alpine system in it. Couldn't believe how much better my HK system sounded in comparison.
I'm jealous. I cant even listen to mine to see if the flash resolved the amp issue because my truck is sitting at the dealership waiting for the crackerjack tech team from FCA to figure out my etorque issue.

fireron

Reaction score
I'm jealous. I cant even listen to mine to see if the flash resolved the amp issue because my truck is sitting at the dealership waiting for the crackerjack tech team from FCA to figure out my etorque issue.
Good luck on your etorque issue. You WILL love your new stereo system once you can hear it again!

Tjd

Reaction score
I also had the update done today and I can't imagine why this is buried in a customer initiated TSB. The difference is so much of an improvement it should be in an RRT. If you haven't had it done, get it.

Last edited:

Brian bacik

Reaction score
But how can you explain that some systems have better bass and loud notes than this HK. I think that crossover here Is key. I can realize there’s a lack of certain frequency on low notes.
Agree the user needs control over this function...subwoofer too loud and plays over too narrow of a low frequency band..ram engineers please resolve this issue

Kidder

Reaction score
I'm still unsure about the TSB. I like the sound of mine even though it could be louder.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Agree the user needs control over this function...subwoofer too loud and plays over too narrow of a low frequency band..ram engineers please resolve this issue

Just as a reminder, had mine in to request they fix the poor sound quality that resulted from the amp update. Was told another update was in the works. Updates to fix updates. Hopefully it'll be an update that gives us more control, and not another 1 size fits all kinda thing.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I'm still unsure about the TSB. I like the sound of mine even though it could be louder.

Be careful and weigh your decision carefully. Everyone has a different opinion on sound quality. There's plenty of posts about this update. You have some that love the increased volume and bass and others, like myself, that find it offensive to our ears. The bass, turned all the way down, still booms even at the lowest sound level. It's on and booming at all times and can't be tuned out. The fact we all have to fiddle with turning the bass down to -6 or lower should be enough to at least let you know the bass portion of the update sucks. And -6 isn't good, it's just the least worst setting most have agreed on.

Personally, knowing what I know now and backing that up with everything that's been posted....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are pleased with the quality of the sound system, wait for the next update. It'll be out eventually and then see how the community reacts. Otherwise you run the risk of doing the TSB and being in the group that hates the sound, or maybe you'll love it. Kinda like gambling. How risk averse are you?

Kidder

Reaction score
Be careful and weigh your decision carefully. Everyone has a different opinion on sound quality. There's plenty of posts about this update. You have some that love the increased volume and bass and others, like myself, that find it offensive to our ears. The bass, turned all the way down, still booms even at the lowest sound level. It's on and booming at all times and can't be tuned out. The fact we all have to fiddle with turning the bass down to -6 or lower should be enough to at least let you know the bass portion of the update sucks. And -6 isn't good, it's just the least worst setting most have agreed on.

Personally, knowing what I know now and backing that up with everything that's been posted....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are pleased with the quality of the sound system, wait for the next update. It'll be out eventually and then see how the community reacts. Otherwise you run the risk of doing the TSB and being in the group that hates the sound, or maybe you'll love it. Kinda like gambling. How risk averse are you?
Exactly what I'm thinking. I hope there is another update. If not, I won't be doing the amp gain update only.

Flot

Reaction score
Be careful and weigh your decision carefully. Everyone has a different opinion on sound quality. There's plenty of posts about this update. You have some that love the increased volume and bass and others, like myself, that find it offensive to our ears.

Otherwise you run the risk of doing the TSB and being in the group that hates the sound, or maybe you'll love it. Kinda like gambling. How risk averse are you?

I have seen _you_ post that a few times, but in casual reading and a couple of searches have not seen any other army of people dissatisfied with the amplifier update - do you have a thread I'm missing?

I am very happy with the HK system after the update. And I assume it now sounds the same as the HK system in any Ram 1500 that just rolled off the assembly line, so it is not like it would be difficult to go sit in one on the lot to see if you'd like it.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I have seen _you_ post that a few times, but in casual reading and a couple of searches have not seen any other army of people dissatisfied with the amplifier update - do you have a thread I'm missing?

I am very happy with the HK system after the update. And I assume it now sounds the same as the HK system in any Ram 1500 that just rolled off the assembly line, so it is not like it would be difficult to go sit in one on the lot to see if you'd like it.

This was the one that got me started and there's links in there from folks that helped out.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/harman-kardon-too-much-bass.5137/

This one has tons of info.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/sub-woofer.1885/

I believe there are others. Just did a quick search to pull these 2. If you want more info, just search for Harman Kardon Bass or Sub or Boomy or any other adjective you can think of. Google turns of some on other forums as well if you narrow it down to 2019 RAM.

I never did the PolyFill. I wasn't willing to go to those lengths, but I did stuff blankets behind my seats to dampen the bass out a little.

Then, after taking it to the dealer and being told that FCA was aware of the issue and another update was in the works to address my issue, I've just lived with it. Took all the blankets out and am just anxiously waiting for the next update.

Flot

Reaction score
I believe there are others. Just did a quick search to pull these 2. If you want more info, just search for Harman Kardon Bass or Sub or Boomy or any other adjective you can think of. Google turns of some on other forums as well if you narrow it down to 2019 RAM.

Then, after taking it to the dealer and being told that FCA was aware of the issue and another update was in the works to address my issue, I've just lived with it. Took all the blankets out and am just anxiously waiting for the next update.

Respectfully, one of those threads is yours complaining about too much bass, and the other is a bunch of people discussing how to replace the factory subwoofer. Clearly the factory audio system won't please everyone, but it was a bit unusual that with the $1000 upgraded stereo I could drive down the road with a passenger and have the the volume turned to 36/38.

While there may be a new TSB to change the EQ settings again, I think you are being a bit disingenuous suggesting that others shouldn't pursue the existing fix. Of course, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - but for many people with early builds who thought the volume level was too low this is a dramatic improvement and I wish I had taken it in sooner.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
No at all disingenuous. I've been truthful at all times and have shared all the information I have gotten from my dealer and FCA. The more people know the better.

Anyone can get the update if they want it. But I think it's fair that everyone know that some of us have complained about the bass, post update, is boomy.

My dealer and FCA are aware of complaints, including mine, and an update is in the works to address them. In fact, the fix was already in the works before I ever showed up and complained. I can't attest to how many folks have complained, but it obviously wasn't me that got the ball rolling on it.

probe

Reaction score
Took delivery in Aug and now have 5k miles. I was not pleased with the volume level on the HK but could live with it, and I did not have a need to make adjustments via the EQ. Recently found out about the Amp update via this forum so while doing my 5k oil change and a couple of other minor issues last week at the dealership I decided to ask for the TSB Amp update. Definitely a NOTICEABLE difference in overall volume increase, however the bass is too much and now I have a need to make adjustments via the EQ...I am pleased with the volume level increase and I don't mind adjusting the EQ, however if and when there is another update to address the bass I will check this forum and then decide if I want to take advantage of it.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Took delivery in Aug and now have 5k miles. I was not pleased with the volume level on the HK but could live with it, and I did not have a need to make adjustments via the EQ. Recently found out about the Amp update via this forum so while doing my 5k oil change and a couple of other minor issues last week at the dealership I decided to ask for the TSB Amp update. Definitely a NOTICEABLE difference in overall volume increase, however the bass is too much and now I have a need to make adjustments via the EQ...I am pleased with the volume level increase and I don't mind adjusting the EQ, however if and when there is another update to address the bass I will check this forum and then decide if I want to take advantage of it.

Took delivery of my Limited this week (12/12 build). When I was test driving trucks last fall I loved the HK system but felt max volume wasn’t very loud - but clarity and balance was good. With my truck having the update, I’m disappointed. I agree - the sub is horrible. It’s way too loud at some frequencies and literally non-existent at others. I’d gladly take the previous version.

Is there a release date for the rumored next update?

Has anyone else noticed how little sound is produced from the door speakers compared to the dash? Had mine at a decent volume and there was very little out the doors. Did this change with the update, too?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Took delivery of my Limited this week (12/12 build). When I was test driving trucks last fall I loved the HK system but felt max volume wasn’t very loud - but clarity and balance was good. With my truck having the update, I’m disappointed. I agree - the sub is horrible. It’s way too loud at some frequencies and literally non-existent at others. I’d gladly take the previous version.

Is there a release date for the rumored next update?

Has anyone else noticed how little sound is produced from the door speakers compared to the dash? Had mine at a decent volume and there was very little out the doors. Did this change with the update, too?

Careful, them's fight'n words for some folks.

I should be speaking with my adviser again soon and I'll inquire. Been waiting for this and my console lid that's on back order.

Users who are viewing this thread