5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So how many of you have renewed Uconnect?

Renew or let it lapse

• Total voters

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the convenience of having all that content integrated in the system. That's the difference for me. Plus I like Howard Stem and you can't get him anywhere else. And their promo prices are very reasonable. I know what everyone is saying about having so many ways to play content. But the integration in the system is the key for me.
I don’t worry about what everyone else says especially when they say people are stupid to spend money on it. People need to speak for theirselves and not others. I see why it’s worth it to you. I would spend $19.99 if i liked Howard Stern that much. Not a problem for me. But thanks for sharing your reason for purchasing it. I see now why some would.

RJS

Reaction score
I’m curious to know if it’s worth getting Sirius XM with all the stuff you can listen to for free through apps and websites through your phone. I’d like to hear people’s thoughts on this. Maybe I’m missing something that I don’t know about.
I've had XM since early in it's creation and have a lifetime subscription. Their best channel line up (all Access) has a wide variety of channels from sports talk to comedy to talk radio to many channels of any variety of music you can imagine. With the 12" screen there are IIRC 12 presets and if I get tired of them I can look for more. They will also have special channels for a limited period of time like Johnny Carson, Jim Gaffigan ,certain musicians and other personalities. My 19 came with a free year and they just offered me another year at $90 or $106 with taxes. The all access also lets you access the content through the internet on your computer, smartphone or internet radio.
I can also create Pandora stations on my 12" included with XM.

Because it costs me $75 to transfer my lifetime subscription the $106/yr is good enough. I also have Amazon Music as I like the quality on my HK sound system and I can chose the music I want to listen to. I can also use Amazon on connected or non-connected devices so XM and Amazon make a great combination for less then $25/mo.
Works for me but to complete the thought, I won't be subscribing to Uconnect when it ends next week unless they hit me with a very low ball price.

Last edited:

Skater

Reaction score
I picked up my 2020 Limited about three weeks ago. I too have had XM since early in it's creation and have a lifetime subscription. Since I have a lifetime subscription, I was told that to move my subscription from my Ford to my new Ram, I would have to cancel introductory year period of Guardian and the other perks that come with the first year's worth of free service. After arguing with the guy for 20 minutes and listening to his repeated statements that I will lose Howard Stearn's Show, I finally told him I do not listen to that show and just cancel my current free period, take my $75 and move my subscription to my new Ram.

Suffices to say, I will not only not be renewing, but I have already cancelled all the free perks that come for the first year. And, I am happy I did.

IceStormz

Reaction score
Good day folks,

It's been interesting seen everyone's opinion about this as I believe this thread will only get MORE AND MORE busier as the 2019's end their free trial. Mine just ended on August 21/2020 (Two days ago from writing).

After contemplating on what "subscriptions" we have on this truck, I feel like we have too many choices that just end up becoming a little ridicolous. I'll be doing my pricing in Canadian so apologies to my American friends but I'll try to clarify along the way.

AT&T in vehicle Wi-Fi -- $30.00 CAD/MONTH. ($20.00 USD)
Funny story about this... While yes I live in Canada, I also have a cousin who lives in New York. I've registered my residence at his address and verified the mail that came in the mail using his address. This way, I get the $20 USD unlimited data in canada, even though we do not have an equivalency for that.

Sirius XM -- $5.00 CAD/MONTH ($3.80USD)
Sirius Guardian -- $33.98 CAD/Month ($25.80 USD)
Sirius Traffic/weather -- I don't know yet as that is integrated for 5 years and afterwards you pay. Was unable to get pricing.

In total, it's approximately $68.98 CAD or $52.36USD per month. This total does NOT include Provincial or state taxes.
For context, Ontario is 13% for a total sum of $77.95 or in New York of 8.875% with a grand total of $59.17 USD/month.

It starts adding up fairly quickly. Over a year, this is a $935.4CAD or $710.04USD commitment. Obviously, my calculations are an approximate with me also saying Sirius XM with their "best price".

Will I renew? Sadly, no. I renewed Sirius XM for this year, but 99% won't next year. With Guardian not being renewed. As for my AT&T Wifi, It will stay till the end of 2020 until I restructure my finances and can contemplate on keeping it or cutting it. (I only have 10 GB'S of data which is why I have it)

I'm open to more debate in regards to this.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good day folks,

It's been interesting seen everyone's opinion about this as I believe this thread will only get MORE AND MORE busier as the 2019's end their free trial. Mine just ended on August 21/2020 (Two days ago from writing).

After contemplating on what "subscriptions" we have on this truck, I feel like we have too many choices that just end up becoming a little ridicolous. I'll be doing my pricing in Canadian so apologies to my American friends but I'll try to clarify along the way.

AT&T in vehicle Wi-Fi -- $30.00 CAD/MONTH. ($20.00 USD)
Funny story about this... While yes I live in Canada, I also have a cousin who lives in New York. I've registered my residence at his address and verified the mail that came in the mail using his address. This way, I get the $20 USD unlimited data in canada, even though we do not have an equivalency for that.

Sirius XM -- $5.00 CAD/MONTH ($3.80USD)
Sirius Guardian -- $33.98 CAD/Month ($25.80 USD)
Sirius Traffic/weather -- I don't know yet as that is integrated for 5 years and afterwards you pay. Was unable to get pricing.

In total, it's approximately $68.98 CAD or $52.36USD per month. This total does NOT include Provincial or state taxes.
For context, Ontario is 13% for a total sum of $77.95 or in New York of 8.875% with a grand total of $59.17 USD/month.

It starts adding up fairly quickly. Over a year, this is a $935.4CAD or $710.04USD commitment. Obviously, my calculations are an approximate with me also saying Sirius XM with their "best price".

Will I renew? Sadly, no. I renewed Sirius XM for this year, but 99% won't next year. With Guardian not being renewed. As for my AT&T Wifi, It will stay till the end of 2020 until I restructure my finances and can contemplate on keeping it or cutting it. (I only have 10 GB'S of data which is why I have it)

I'm open to more debate in regards to this.
I never really understood the ATT wifi for me. All my devices have 4G capabilities and if not, just hot spot from my phone. But that’s just me. I have unlimited data on my cellular plan.

RJS

Reaction score
I never really understood the ATT wifi for me. All my devices have 4G capabilities and if not, just hot spot from my phone. But that’s just me. I have unlimited data on my cellular plan.
My plan with Spectrum Mobile costs $14/mo for one G and $45/mo for unlimited. The AT&T hotspot in my truck costs $200/yr or about $16/mo for unlimited using my trucks hotspot. So my cost is $30/mo for all as I use less the 1G/mo on my cell and a lot more when I use my cellphone for music. Home wifi is no cost on my phone so I have unlimited music there. Therefore, by using my trucks hotspot I save $15/mo. ($45 - $30 = $15). Do you pay more than $30/mo for your cell and therefore do you need to redo your plan.
Simply put, no one plan fits all.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My plan with Spectrum Mobile costs $14/mo for one G and $45/mo for unlimited. The AT&T hotspot in my truck costs $200/yr or about $16/mo for unlimited using my trucks hotspot. So my cost is $30/mo for all as I use less the 1G/mo on my cell and a lot more when I use my cellphone for music. Home wifi is no cost on my phone so I have unlimited music there. Therefore, by using my trucks hotspot I save $15/mo. ($45 - $30 = $15). Do you pay more than $30/mo for your cell and therefore do you need to redo your plan.
Simply put, no one plan fits all.

Never said it did fit all. That’s why i said I never understood it for “me”. But either way, if I did need it, hot spot is cheaper than $16 a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had Siriusxm forever and always negotiate the renewal. As for Uconnect I've found that they don't negotiated but every once in a blue moon offer a year for $79. When I travel in the winter I love the remote start to warm up the truck while I'm walking through an airport and that makes renewal worth it for me as well as the ability to lock the doors when I have a panic attack on a different coast.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, since the 12" has Sirius 360L, the ability to create Artist channels and stream for free is very cool. You should never have to pay more than $99/year for the complete Sirius package and 59-79 is not uncommon.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to get the All Access package for $100/yr ($120 after taxes and fees) and the Select package for $60/yr ($72 after taxes and fees).

IceStormz

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to get the All Access package for $100/yr ($120 after taxes and fees) and the Select package for $60/yr ($72 after taxes and fees).

Any tips or suggestions? First time I bought a vehicle before I was born and never had Sirius. I would love to magically have XM+Guardian for under a hundred or around that price point..

Also folks, keep in mind... Prices for Data plans are ridiculous in Ontario, Canada. Our big carriers still offer $75 with "unlimited data" but it's limited to 10GB's before it slows down. I currently pay $55 for 10GB'S of data. To pay essentially "$80" for "unlimited" data is a little better since we go on frequent road trips which is awesome for when my parents are streaming on Youtube or when my nephews are playing music or watching Netflix.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would love to magically have XM+Guardian for under a hundred or around that price point..
The $100 (USD) is for just SiriusXM radio (All-Access package).

The Guardian is another $13/month and the 'deal' they offer if you press the issue only drops it to about $10/month. That's why I cancelled it after the trial.

I have uConnect 4C (NAV unit) and don't know if that's a required to get Guardian.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with them, the 6 months for $60 is valid to start a subscription until February of next year. Then the $24.99/month kicks in. I use it so infrequently, I am not going for it at this time. If I somehow miss it in my life over the next 6 months I could always go for the 6 month thing and see where they are with promotions after that. I asked if they would do that price for a year and they said no.

$24.99/month is outrageous and I won't do it just on principal. Their business model needs to change to where they would get so many more subscribers at a lower cost that it would be more profitable that way for them.

Meanwhile I just renewed (starts on August 25) my Sirius XM All-Access for $4.99/ month for 12 months. Total cost $82.66 after taxes. Well worth it. Everyone should go for that deal IMO. A good deal from them based on my past experience with them.
Is siruus still doing the thing where they automatically rob your bank account each year? That is why I never went back. I always let my free trial subscriptions run out, then they send you a great deal, which I would take, except for the fact that they auto deduct at full price when the subscription is due. I like the service but not at the full asking price and I know I will forget to cancel when it is due. Sorry it wasn't about u-connect, I have used none of the features so I won't miss it when the trial ends.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as I know...yes.

When your subscription runs out you will be automatically charged the 'MSRP' rate unless you call and re-negotiate or cancel.

Yes, that's a crappy way to do business...but it is a business. They do not have the market cornered on this technique, it is a fairly common practice to do that. How many "free trial" promos do you see? Many of those will start charging you regular price the day after the trial is over unless you call and cancel.

At least my SiriusXM account shows when my deal expires so I know when to call and 'negotiate' a deal again. I can also set a calendar notification for that if I wanted to also.

I don't condone it. I detest this practice and avoid it whenever possible but I like satellite radio and there's no other option.

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sirius sends an email about a month prior to renewal which is fair and above board. If one doesn't trust themselves they can also delete the form of payment.

I get the email and then I call them and tell them I want to cancel because it costs too much at which time they forward me to the customer retention group. I try to negotiate a year long contract because I'm too lazy to go through this twice a year but 25-30 bucks for 6 months is not uncommon.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Is siruus still doing the thing where they automatically rob your bank account each year? That is why I never went back. I always let my free trial subscriptions run out, then they send you a great deal, which I would take, except for the fact that they auto deduct at full price when the subscription is due. I like the service but not at the full asking price and I know I will forget to cancel when it is due. Sorry it wasn't about u-connect, I have used none of the features so I won't miss it when the trial ends.
There is a very easy way to avoid this with today's technology. Just set a reminder on your phone calendar for RIGHT BEFORE the subscription expires. I even included the Sirius XM phone number in the reminder so I can just click on it and call them.

IceStormz

Reaction score
Yeah... It's been almost a week with no Sirius Guardian, I'm not really regretting it. For nearly $40 CAD a month, I rather save the money and take the lady out for a somewhat fancy dinner or save it for a year and really treat her out. Only reason I miss it is the "Police tracking assistance" in case the vehicle gets stolen. With that being said... If it gets stolen (Which I hope to lord it actually doesn't considering how much time and money I've spent on it) I do have insurance which will simply allow me to replace it with the latest model! Probably a diesel though

billbeam

Reaction score
I purchased a 2020 Ram Limited last November. Next month my free SiriusXM Guardian subscription will expire. Today I received an off to extend the service for one year for $179.80 and I assume some taxes will be added to that.

Last Monday we purchased a 2020 Subaru Forester Touring. It came with six months of free XM Guardian. I added an additional 30 months for less than $80. I wonder why the huge cost difference??

I have decided not to renew any Sirius services when they expire. Another reason is my 2020 has less than 2,000 miles on it due to some surgeries and hospital stays.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
I purchased a 2020 Ram Limited last November. Next month my free SiriusXM Guardian subscription will expire. Today I received an off to extend the service for one year for $179.80 and I assume some taxes will be added to that.

Last Monday we purchased a 2020 Subaru Forester Touring. It came with six months of free XM Guardian. I added an additional 30 months for less than $80. I wonder why the huge cost difference??

I have decided not to renew any Sirius services when they expire. Another reason is my 2020 has less than 2,000 miles on it due to some surgeries and hospital stays.

Same here as mine expires next month.. I won't renew.. About the only thing I may miss is the ability to Remote Start via app, but with COVID I don't go in the office anymore so no need to spend the $$ for this feature

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Same here as mine expires next month.. I won't renew.. About the only thing I may miss is the ability to Remote Start via app, but with COVID I don't go in the office anymore so no need to spend the $$ for this feature

I didn't renew mine and will miss the remote start too but won' t miss it enough to offset the high price.

Users who are viewing this thread