5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight Vibration

Reaction score
I just created a forum account to join this discussion. I have a 2020 1500 BigHorn 4x4 5.7L. 20" black aluminum rims as part of the blackout package. Bridgestone Dueler tires. It does EXACTLY what yours does! I can feel a faint thump-thump at low speed on smooth pavement that becomes a shaky wheel at 75mph. I got it in October. It now has 2000mi on it, has been road force balanced three times, and the dealer just replaced the two front tires. Today they offered to buy my truck back in a trade for a new 2021 on the lot. I'd lose about $2-3k in the deal - I'm really frustrated and torn about what to do.
That’s not good to hear. I was hoping it would be a tire problem and not something major. You have different tires and size and it does the same thing. Ram hasn’t emailed or called me back since dec 23rd after I picked up my truck again from the service department. I love the truck, but the vibration/shaking is behind unacceptable. I’m hoping to here more next week.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s not good to hear. I was hoping it would be a tire problem and not something major. You have different tires and size and it does the same thing. Ram hasn’t emailed or called me back since dec 23rd after I picked up my truck again from the service department. I love the truck, but the vibration/shaking is behind unacceptable. I’m hoping to here more next week.
Lemon law!!!!

apsfive

Reaction score
I don't discount that it could still be a tire or rim problem. I've had several issues with defective tires across different brands in the last few years on different cars. My 1500 is going back to my RAM dealer next week for further diagnosis.

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
@Dusty,
You obviously work for a dealership as a technician of some sort. So you're saying that too much backlash with cavitation won't cause any vibration. Nonsense, I was a gas turbine mechanic who was trained and certified in vibration analysis who disagrees. All, after driving the truck a little more changing the rear upper and lower link bars made a huge difference. I centered the rear end and corrected the pinion angle. Yet I'm still plagued with a very minor constant vibration. The reverberation/jitter has finally been addressed. What I mean by that is when I drive over sudden impact bumps and transition from blacktop to concrete surfaces the truck now absorbs the shock immediately and dissapates, before the truck kept shaking. I measured the front end to check the alignment and it's off a quarter inch to the rear on the driver's side compared to the passenger side. 2nd dealership also addressed all 4 brand new Toyo A/T III's are out of round, 1 of them is pretty bad. In my opinion the vibration is now coming from the front. It is apparent that I've been chasing multiple problems and eliminating them 1 by 1. I remember the alignment shop attempted 6x's trying to align the front end the last time. This alone could be the source of the vibration. It can also be the source of the tire chopping along with the previously misaligned rear end. To recap my journey down the rabbit hole I've had every front and rear suspension component replaced except for axles, brakes, and wheel bearings. Replaced rims and tires 5x's with Roadforce balancing each time. Front end alignment probably 6x's. Had driveshaft balanced which was out of balance, and rear U-joint replaced. Installed adjustable rear upper and lower libk bar's. Aligned and centered the rear end. Adjusted and corrected the pinion angle. Finally, getting rid of this piece of **** Lemon, losing thousands of dollars replacing **** because RAM DOESN'T CARES along with a voided powertrain warranty trying to fix your truck! Well, this second dealership has gotten a 2021 RAM REBEL 4x4 Night Edition and offered to basically buy my truck back for what I owe on it, pulling the trigger today if this new truck drives normal! Lemon law is still in play as well.

mikehoff0341

Reaction score
@Dusty,
You obviously work for a dealership as a technician of some sort. So you're saying that too much backlash with cavitation won't cause any vibration. Nonsense, I was a gas turbine mechanic who was trained and certified in vibration analysis who disagrees. All, after driving the truck a little more changing the rear upper and lower link bars made a huge difference. I centered the rear end and corrected the pinion angle. Yet I'm still plagued with a very minor constant vibration. The reverberation/jitter has finally been addressed. What I mean by that is when I drive over sudden impact bumps and transition from blacktop to concrete surfaces the truck now absorbs the shock immediately and dissapates, before the truck kept shaking. I measured the front end to check the alignment and it's off a quarter inch to the rear on the driver's side compared to the passenger side. 2nd dealership also addressed all 4 brand new Toyo A/T III's are out of round, 1 of them is pretty bad. In my opinion the vibration is now coming from the front. It is apparent that I've been chasing multiple problems and eliminating them 1 by 1. I remember the alignment shop attempted 6x's trying to align the front end the last time. This alone could be the source of the vibration. It can also be the source of the tire chopping along with the previously misaligned rear end. To recap my journey down the rabbit hole I've had every front and rear suspension component replaced except for axles, brakes, and wheel bearings. Replaced rims and tires 5x's with Roadforce balancing each time. Front end alignment probably 6x's. Had driveshaft balanced which was out of balance, and rear U-joint replaced. Installed adjustable rear upper and lower libk bar's. Aligned and centered the rear end. Adjusted and corrected the pinion angle. Finally, getting rid of this piece of **** Lemon, losing thousands of dollars replacing **** because RAM DOESN'T CARES along with a voided powertrain warranty trying to fix your truck! Well, this second dealership has gotten a 2021 RAM REBEL 4x4 Night Edition and offered to basically buy my truck back for what I owe on it, pulling the trigger today if this new truck drives normal! Lemon law is still in play as well.

@Dusty,
Thanks Brandon for sharing all of this information. Hopefully I can somehow get my truck fixed enough to not eat through the front outer tires.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Dusty,
Actually, I didn't state that. Someone else did.

However, whoever said it I agree with.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044930 miles.

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
Thanks Brandon for sharing all of this information. Hopefully I can somehow get my truck fixed enough to not eat through the front outer tires.
If you're certain that your front end is eating the outer edge of your tires than your problem has to be with your alignment. I've had trouble with 3 different shops trying to align this truck and it's still jacked up.

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
FYI...traded in my 2020 LARAMIE 4x4 today for a 2021 REBEL 4x4 and almost didn't buy it because I noticed signs of the same problem. On the drive home which was about 60 miles I called the salesman about halfway home and said I'm not sure I want this truck, it's shaking bad. He suggested we swap the balanced driveshaft and the link bar's from my other truck to see if that fixes it. Here we go again! I'm going to get the manager on the phone tomorrow and see what will be the backup plan, if none they're getting this truck back.

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
Actually, I didn't state that. Someone else did.

However, whoever said it I agree with.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044930 miles.
It could cause a mild vibration that can be felt like an engine running.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It could cause a mild vibration that can be felt like an engine running.
I guess I've lost track of what your original complaint is. I've been thinking the "vibration" was tire/wheel/suspension related.

So if you're experiencing a constant vibration that increases with vehicle road speed, then it could be driveline related. But I seriously doubt ring and pinion backlash. I've seen a lot of excessive backlash issues, and a vibration was not a symptom.

I had a friend who once installed a diff and forgot the locks on the side play adjusters. They eventually backed off so far that there was a good 3/4 of an inch or more backlash on the ring gear. In fact, it was starting to chip away at the heel and toe of the pinion and ring gear teeth. Only then was there any noticeable vibration.

If backlash was a problem, you'd hear a whine long before it got that bad.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044934 miles.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI...traded in my 2020 LARAMIE 4x4 today for a 2021 REBEL 4x4 and almost didn't buy it because I noticed signs of the same problem. On the drive home which was about 60 miles I called the salesman about halfway home and said I'm not sure I want this truck, it's shaking bad. He suggested we swap the balanced driveshaft and the link bar's from my other truck to see if that fixes it. Here we go again! I'm going to get the manager on the phone tomorrow and see what will be the backup plan, if none they're getting this truck back.
My 19 fell under lemon law for this issue. I had a 2021 built it’s at the dealer waiting for me. I hope like hell this 2021 doesn’t have the same issue, I’m not sure I can go through this again. All I want is my truck to preform like a new $60,000 truck should with no vibrations and tires not getting chewed up and then to be told this is all normal wear😩 my tires at 4000 miles after being balanced 3 times and rotated all before 4000 miles.

Attachments

• 4232BDE5-BDEE-42A9-845B-D9F199C0EC80.png
    4232BDE5-BDEE-42A9-845B-D9F199C0EC80.png
    858.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 28AC54F9-141B-402F-AA5B-4954EF2FA620.png
    28AC54F9-141B-402F-AA5B-4954EF2FA620.png
    821.1 KB · Views: 16

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
My 19 fell under lemon law for this issue. I had a 2021 built it’s at the dealer waiting for me. I hope like hell this 2021 doesn’t have the same issue, I’m not sure I can go through this again. All I want is my truck to preform like a new $60,000 truck should with no vibrations and tires not getting chewed up and then to be told this is all normal wear😩 my tires at 4000 miles after being balanced 3 times and rotated all before 4000 miles.
Hey man, not sure if you saw my post yet, but I just got a new 2021 REBEL today and it has the same issues.

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
I guess I've lost track of what your original complaint is. I've been thinking the "vibration" was tire/wheel/suspension related.

So if you're experiencing a constant vibration that increases with vehicle road speed, then it could be driveline related. But I seriously doubt ring and pinion backlash. I've seen a lot of excessive backlash issues, and a vibration was not a symptom.

I had a friend who once installed a diff and forgot the locks on the side play adjusters. They eventually backed off so far that there was a good 3/4 of an inch or more backlash on the ring gear. In fact, it was starting to chip away at the heel and toe of the pinion and ring gear teeth. Only then was there any noticeable vibration.

If backlash was a problem, you'd hear a whine long before it got that bad.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044934 miles.
So my main problem was the vibration with excessive reverberation. I mean I've endured and discovered a slew of issues. I believe my ultimate fix has been installing the adjustable link bars which centered my rear end and rolled my pinion angle up in spec. I feel this low frequency vibration in the steering wheel much like gears creating an internal hum is being generated from inside a rotating mass such as a rear end. I've had my driveshaft balanced already. It could also come from faulty wheel bearings. Not to get off subject but cavatating fluid along with a bad pinion preload or an excessive backlash can cause a normally hard to diagnose vibration. With the proper testing equipment this frequency, this vibration can be isolated and diagnosed.

brandonjscioneaux

Reaction score
I know the feeling, I've been going through it as long as you have. This is something that will be addressed by FCA/PSA in about 3 year's! This is a major engineering flaw. It pisses me off so bad to hear these knuckleheads at the dealership to say we've sold hundreds of truck's and we've never had this problem. C'mon man!

Reaction score
Hey man, not sure if you saw my post yet, but I just got a new 2021 REBEL today and it has the same issues.
Wow... they have to know about this issue. I can’t get anyone from Ram Cares center to call me back. I have a case number and tried to respond back to them 4 times now since the truck was last in. Beyond frustrated. I hope yours gets fixed

Users who are viewing this thread