5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

jniemuth

Reaction score
Same here. I have learned to use the gear selector every time I get in the truck to keep it in 8 cyl mode. Not a fix, but at least it is smooth.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Same here. I have learned to use the gear selector every time I get in the truck to keep it in 8 cyl mode. Not a fix, but at least it is smooth.
I can usually notice when MDS kicks on (ECO shows on dash) and I feel it vibrate a little when giving it some gas. It sorta reminds me of my motorcycle when I don't down shift when going up a hill and the RPMs drop and the bike is bogged down like it could stall. You can usually hear a weird faint rattle from somewhere in the drivetrain on the truck when in ECO and a slight vibration.

Fitz

Reaction score
I had a local shop weld in an aftermarket muffler, figured if my truck is vibrating it might as well rumble while doing it. I’m not sure how, but my vibration has reduced after the install. The 1500-2100 rpm floorboard vibration and the highway speed vibration is substantially improved. It’s been 2000 miles since I had the muffler swapped and I have been enjoying my Ram - finally. My truck has 15k on it now. When its cold out (below zero), I still get slight vibes for a mile or two, but then it smooths right out (likely flat spotting). It never did that for the first 13k, the vibration remained, and RFB didn’t help. Also, I’ve noticed a slight vibration when hitting 8th gear upon reaccelerating on highway a few times, but then it smooths out. MDS vibration seems better but still there and I disable it most of the time. Not sure what’s going on with my truck, but have been wondering if my previous issues where related to exhaust vibrations (ANC and TMM make you wonder). Whatever the cause, I’m finally enjoying my truck and thought I’d share.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This Shiiiiiiiit is just beyond ridiculous on any vehicle----this shaking stuff is really deterring me from getting a 2020 Limited--I would love one but it seems everyone has this problem in one way or another with NO FIX at all
Tires been balanced twice in 2400 miles always out of balance. Don’t buy it!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Truck has had new wheels and tires,also road force balance and still does the exact thing since day one..I went to trade it in on a limited 2020 and it to started shaking so I just left..times ticking for me..the dealers are a joke and Chrysler don’t have a clue..so if you haven’t bought the truck don’t until a fix is done because it’s insane how the truck shakes..I’m going to put a video up on YouTube when I get time on the truck with a cup of water in the cup holder shaking..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lemon law, can’t fix it, they can buy it back or give u a new truck!

Mac15

Reaction score
Just test drove a 2020 Limited e-torque 3.21 rear end and noticed a vibration at speeds arounds 60 mph. It felt like a misfire even though that obviously was not the case. After trying to figure out whether it was wheel balancing or engine related I finally decided it must be MDS related because it would go away if I gave it enough gas to downshift to 7th gear. It almost seems as though the frame shakers are out of sync at that speed? Very odd. I don't often drive around 60 mph so it wasn't really a deal breaker at the time but after reading this thread I think I will pass. Thanks to everyone for the insight in the few short pages of this thread I have read. FWIW the MDS was nearly seamless compared to the 2019 non-etorque Limited I test drove in June and nearly purchased when they had 25% off MSRP. The 2019 had a noticeable shimmy when giving enough throttle to go back to 8 cylinders. The 2020 etorque did not but the highway vibration at 60 was concerning.

Last edited:

Trouble1233

Reaction score
My first and last ram..I got a Nissan Titan when they first came out..it had a few problems but nothing to this extent..every time I turn around it’s something on mine..first thing was the shake and they haven’t been able to fix it yet..then back up camera went out..took it in they said the radio was gone too..now the camera is acting up again..now back glass has 3 stress cracks in the frame..the wireless charger is now acting up..I can’t fix one thing before 2 more start

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just test drove a 2020 Limited e-torque 3.21 rear end and noticed a vibration at speeds arounds 60 mph. It felt like a misfire even though that obviously was not the case. After trying to figure out whether it was wheel balancing or engine related I finally decided it must be MDS related because it would go away if I gave it enough gas to downshift to 7th gear. It almost seems as though the frame shakers are out of sync at that speed? Very odd. I don't often drive around 60 mph so it wasn't really a deal breaker at the time but after reading this thread I think I will pass. Thanks to everyone for the insight in the few short pages of this thread I have read. FWIW the MDS was nearly seamless compared to the 2019 non-etorque Limited I test drove in June and nearly purchased when they had 25% off MSRP. The 2019 had a noticeable shimmy when giving enough throttle to go back to 8 cylinders. The 2020 etorque did not but the highway vibration at 60 was concerning.
Not only do I have the vibration, but tires are always out of balance!

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
Not only do I have the vibration, but tires are always out of balance!

Let me bore you with some facts...

#1 Reason for vibration related comebacks - Mounting errors caused by wrong cones/collets and or using them incorrectly like front coning on wheel. The reason you have your tires balanced and the reading are always different is more than likely this reason. Shops can try and correct for "RFV" all day long but if the wheel is not on machine correctly they get bad readings and they "Chase" the problem instead of fixing what they just messed up.

Mounting errors happens over 60% of the time.

True RFV happens less than 5% of the time.

Good luck to all of you who chase these vibration issues. The necessary steps are not happening to eliminate the true cause at the shops you are going to. My Truck has 35" Nittos and after a well known tire shop installed, RFB'd, and used Weight Saving Mode, I had bad steering wheel shimmy at 45 mph up to 60 mph. I fixed the condition by doing the following.

1) Used a Direct Drive 1600 Coats Balancer
2) Used the proper collet to center wheel on balancer
3) Back coned wheel on balancer
4) Used the proper finger plate to help center wheel and give equal clamping pressure thru lug holes
5) Balanced in ProBalance Mode (This mode opens the blinds of balancer and gives you both Static and Couple Readings to ensure all vibrations are eliminated)
6) Balanced down to under .05 Statically and .10 Couple

When I checked my balance from well know shop, my tires/wheels had up to 1.50 oz of couple imbalance left over!!! This is a massive amount of imbalance! We know this can be caused by Weight Saving mode from "RFB". This mode intentionally leaves couple imbalance in the assembly so the shop can save on wheel weights. Unfortunately this happens everyday and is being pitched as a better balance from the manufacturer so the shops out there simply are doing what their machine says to do.

To eliminate a real imbalance problem in the tire/wheel assembly then performing these steps on a Non-RFB Machine and utilizing a Direct Drive Machine with the capability to balance down to 100th of oz is necessary. Good luck to all that are fighting this issue.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It would be a sad state of affairs if a lemon law is the final stage for people who can't get tires properly balanced. I'd wager some have mechanical problems, others are experiencing MDS, and some are having balancing problems. No one single solution to the issue

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
It would be a sad state of affairs if a lemon law is the final stage for people who can't get tires properly balanced. I'd wager some have mechanical problems, others are experiencing MDS, and some are having balancing problems. No one single solution to the issue

Agree but you actually have to start eliminating potential problems. My point is shops move on to something else because they just balanced or RFB the tires 5 times. Unfortunately the percentages say most are not fixed correctly even after multiple attempts to correct.

wep1981

Reaction score
Lemon law will basically get you some sort of money back. FCA will not take the truck back.

got my truck back after2 weeks at the dealer. This was the second dealer I took it too. The dealer got Star involved. They went through some Fix that Star has about vibration and my truck passed all checks. So Star suggested drive another vehicle that is comparable to mine and the tech went back with slight vibration. So Star claimed since experiencing the same issue, the car is operating as designed and was called to go pick the truck.
Total BS. Technician said that the Star tech is dealing with another vibration case so how is mine operating as designed.

these people really don’t care. Never again..

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lemon law will basically get you some sort of money back. FCA will not take the truck back.

got my truck back after2 weeks at the dealer. This was the second dealer I took it too. The dealer got Star involved. They went through some Fix that Star has about vibration and my truck passed all checks. So Star suggested drive another vehicle that is comparable to mine and the tech went back with slight vibration. So Star claimed since experiencing the same issue, the car is operating as designed and was called to go pick the truck.
Total BS. Technician said that the Star tech is dealing with another vibration case so how is mine operating as designed.

Not only do I have vibration, mine won’t hold balance on the tires either. This could be a safety issue as being out of balance can wear tires and front end parts. I just want it fixed

Trouble1233

Reaction score

The same exact thing to me..I’m waiting for everyone else’s trucks to come out and get rid of the headache..got me once..but want happen ever again..Chrysler sucks period

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not only do I have vibration, mine won’t hold balance on the tires either. This could be a safety issue as being out of balance can wear tires and front end parts. I just want it fixed
Guess I bought a $60,000 vibrati
The same exact thing to me..I’m waiting for everyone else’s trucks to come out and get rid of the headache..got me once..but want happen ever again..Chrysler sucks period

what is star?

doomtrader

Reaction score
I just read whole 38 pages.
I can only add that mine Chrysler T&C 2013 3.6 pentastar have similar issue (shaking around 58-60 MPH). However this happens randomly and when I think about it, it is best felt when driving on highway so my bet are tires or suspension.

JOS

Reaction score
I can usually notice when MDS kicks on (ECO shows on dash) and I feel it vibrate a little when giving it some gas. It sorta reminds me of my motorcycle when I don't down shift when going up a hill and the RPMs drop and the bike is bogged down like it could stall. You can usually hear a weird faint rattle from somewhere in the drivetrain on the truck when in ECO and a slight vibration.
Hi Guys. Just joined forum to address vibration this issue on my 2020 Ram 1500. I originally took it to dealer after a few thousand miles for slight vibration after backing off on the gas and then slowly reapplying the gas. Tech said he could feel it and he reprogrammed torque converter to latest firmware. That made it much worse. It didn't seem related to eco mode before but it sure does now. Took it back and I went with the tech for the test ride. He could feel it. I don't think he knew what to do about it so we took another similar truck off the lot and took for a ride. That truck also vibrated some but less and he said "There, this one does it too so its normal" and sent me on my way. I am very disappointed. Very embarrassing when I take someone for a ride and they question me about it. I'm afraid it will cause more damage the more it continues. I sure hope someone gets it fixed so the rest of us can get closure. This vibration has nothing to do with the wheel balance or wheels at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread