5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I would ask these questions...

1) Does your shop use low taper collet adapters on your balancer?
2) Do your technicians back cone with those collets 100% of the time?
3) Does your shop have and use pin plates 100% of the time?
4) Do your technicians perform a center check to ensure a properly mounted wheel to balancer?
5) Do your technicians perform a check spin after wheels weights are applied?
6) Do your technicians correct for residual imbalance? If so how? (On a Hunter machine turn Smartweight OFF)
7) Do your technicians check and correct for Static and Couple imbalance to under a .10oz? If so how?
8) Do your technicians ensure wheel fits tight to hub bore on car? If doesn't do you offer hub rings as a solution?
9) Do you road test vehicle after tire installation?

There are a few more questions like too little or too much tire lube when mounting. Too little tire lube and the tire may not seat correctly. Too much tire lube and the tire can move on the wheel and that will mess up your balance work. Are they re-using wheel weights, it's a horrible practice but some shops do. When have they calibrated their machine and how do they know if calibration was good. Are the cones/collets worn out or are they in good shape. Have the shop technicians been properly trained to operate equipment correctly and do they have the knowledge and skill set to correct imbalance. If so how do you know.

Here are links to the proper collets and pin plates I am referring to.

View attachment 48197
View attachment 48198

Also attached are some Bulletins that discuss proper collets and mounting. They don't address pin plates which is really stupid on their part. They do discuss RFV but unfortunately place more emphasis on this than the most common causes and corrections.

I know a lot of information... Hope this helps even one RAM owner!

Thanks
So my question is a little different. I know a lot of people like me that are running the Bridgestone Duelers just have sh#tty tires. But others have replaced them with various other brands and sizes, and from I think I'm hearing, they are all having similar issues. If it's the tires, how come it seems to be every single tire by every manufacturer out there that is having this problem and requires the surgical precision of a brain surgeon with a degree in rocket science?

I mean, at the end of the day, isn't it simply the damn truck? Otherwise, I would glady toss the stock tires (and rims) and go get me some Nittos with bad-*** rims, and call it a day, but if a several thousand dollar investment in new tires/rims still requires me to weed out the one shop in my state that probably has the equipment and knowledge to do everything you've laid out here, then to hell with it all together, I'm just going to get rid of this POS!!

I mean please, someone tell me my problems will go away if I order a set of Nittos and some new rims!!

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
So my question is a little different. I know a lot of people like me that are running the Bridgestone Duelers just have sh#tty tires. But others have replaced them with various other brands and sizes, and from I think I'm hearing, they are all having similar issues. If it's the tires, how come it seems to be every single tire by every manufacturer out there that is having this problem and requires the surgical precision of a brain surgeon with a degree in rocket science?

I mean, at the end of the day, isn't it simply the damn truck? Otherwise, I would glady toss the stock tires (and rims) and go get me some Nittos with bad-*** rims, and call it a day, but if a several thousand dollar investment in new tires/rims still requires me to weed out the one shop in my state that probably has the equipment and knowledge to do everything you've laid out here, then to hell with it all together, I'm just going to get rid of this POS!!

I mean please, someone tell me my problems will go away if I order a set of Nittos and some new rims!!

LOL Yea Nitto’s are PFM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Knock knock RAM Care!! Anybody there!!!

You guys see all these complaints and do nothing about it.

Oh yeah we’ll open a case up for you and do nothing about it. Then we’ll close the case 14days later..

Hey wep1981,

I regret to hear your feedback here. I did check to see and it looks that you currently have an open case and that your case manager has been working on this on the back end. I see you were last able to speak with him on 2/24. Again, your case is still open and I have made sure to document your outreach here so that your case manager can follow up with you as soon as possible.

Mark
RamCares

Scram1500

Reaction score

Get new tires, these Duelers must have some loose quality control. The wobbly tire I have isolated has 5.375 ounces of wheel weights, while the others that spin straight are at 3 ounces

LNDRCKT

Reaction score
I’ve changed tires and the vibration is still the same. I also removed my wheel spacers and that didn’t change the vibration either.

RamCares

Reaction score
I’ve changed tires and the vibration is still the same. I also removed my wheel spacers and that didn’t change the vibration either.

Hi LNDRCKT,

I regret to hear this update. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message if you end up addressing this with your dealer and any additional support is needed for that process.

Mark
RamCares

LNDRCKT

Reaction score
Hi LNDRCKT,

I regret to hear this update. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message if you end up addressing this with your dealer and any additional support is needed for that process.

Mark
RamCares

I was told that it was a known problem and that Chrysler is working on a solution. That was months ago and I see that people are still having my same issue now with no cure or cause found.

flynfish

Reaction score
I was told that it was a known problem and that Chrysler is working on a solution. That was months ago and I see that people are still having my same issue now with no cure or cause found.

Who told you that? I haven’t heard from anyone else that Chrysler has acknowledged this as an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trouble1233

Reaction score

I’ve had the problem since November 2018 they not going to fix it..I have 6400 miles on my truck only because it’s terrible..but I’m waiting I’m looking at other brands to offload this headache to..SRT8 is sold..this one is next done with this company..someone out there can give me a 60k truck that rides like it supposed to..

Icecoldak

Reaction score
TIRES AND RIMS are not the problem here--It has something to do with the truck, there are far to many people with this issue and it does not make any sense about tires being an issue--ok maybe a couple! I was going to get me a 2020 Limited, but Im not touching this truck till this is figured out, maybe 2021 models?

Scram1500

Reaction score
That's the downfall with these trucks. In the old days when you had a vibration you checked the tires, rims, drive line etc. Now you throw in MDS, ANC, and ATMM to the mix you have no idea what you're feeling.

Diagnosing this has many layers, then you come to a forum and try to read a thread where there are eight solutions to one generic problem, "vibration"

RamCares

Reaction score

Hey LNDRCKT,

To clarify, have you already addressed this with your dealer? If you would be interested in following up with me via PM I would be happy to learn more to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
I’ve had the problem since November 2018 they not going to fix it..I have 6400 miles on my truck only because it’s terrible..but I’m waiting I’m looking at other brands to offload this headache to..SRT8 is sold..this one is next done with this company..someone out there can give me a 60k truck that rides like it supposed to..

Hi @Trouble1233 - While your frustration is certainly warranted, I regret to see this update. Please do not hesitate to follow up with me via PM if you have any interest in discussing your situation further.

Mark
RamCares

LNDRCKT

Reaction score
I wa
Who told you that? I haven’t heard from anyone else that Chrysler has acknowledged this as an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was told that by my advisor the last tome I was in. He commented that all the air suspension tricks do it. Didn’t sound correct to me.

JOS

Reaction score
Hi JOS,

I certainly understand why this would be frustrating and I apologize that your dealer was not able to assist. To clarify, when was your most recent attempt addressing this with your dealer? If you wouldn't mind following up with me via private message to provide additional details, it would be greatly appreciated so that I can best assist at this point.

Mark
RamCares
Sorry, I guess I don't know how to do private message. Last attempt was Feb 27, 2020. What details would you like?

RamCares

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I don't know how to do private message. Last attempt was Feb 27, 2020. What details would you like?

Hi JOS,

Thank you for following up! If you hover your mouse over our profile icon, you should see the following options: 'Follow' 'Ignore' and 'Start Conversation'. If you click Start Conversation that will bring you to a private message thread with us.

Mark
RamCares

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi JOS,

Thank you for following up! If you hover your mouse over our profile icon, you should see the following options: 'Follow' 'Ignore' and 'Start Conversation'. If you click Start Conversation that will bring you to a private message thread with us.

Mark
RamCares
I wore out my factory tires, replaced them with Michelins, zero vibration.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
TIRES AND RIMS are not the problem here--It has something to do with the truck, there are far to many people with this issue and it does not make any sense about tires being an issue--ok maybe a couple! I was going to get me a 2020 Limited, but Im not touching this truck till this is figured out, maybe 2021 models?
I had my tires road forced balance, and it definitely helped, but didn't fully resolve the issue. If you can get your dealer to pay for a good road force balance, hopefully you will see some relief. But I agree with the others that tires alone are not the sole issue, and that we may not all be experiencing the exact same vibrations, but collectively lumping it into one forum. There are so many factors that could come into play. For me, road force balancing improved the ride by about 50%. But there is still that vibration that kicks in when you hit the 50-65mph range and it can be more noticeable on certain roads, and when you have MDS turned on or off. But I have yet to find any combination that gives me no vibration at all, and i simply cannot drive this truck on the highway because by the time I reach 70mph, it's terrible, and my body starts to hurt from my hands to my butt. And the passengers notice it. I'll never be able to take a trip with the truck. Around town, it's great. Otherwise, it's a completely useless truck.

Brain h

Reaction score
It's the torque converter.
Same as the chevy shake.
I've had my truck in 7 times at two dealerships both of which refuse to service the vehicle anymore and I now have to drive 45 miles to another dealership...so much for customer service huh?
Tires have been replaced 3 times once with goodyear factory replacement and then with with Michelin defenders and the last set was with all new wheels and tires.
Vibration still there.
Unplugged the atm's..still vibration.
Activated tow/haul mode..still vibration.
I am currently seeking a drivetrain/ suspension shop to replace the u joints and carrier bearing and to check to see if the driveshafts are true and balanced (2 piece shaft) if that isnt it it has to be the torque converter or pinion angle.
I've already filed a lemon law claim and was paid a good sum to drop the case by Chrysler.
Really love the truck but if my latest venture doesn't solve anything I'll be driving a new Toyota soon.
Get your sh** together Chrysler.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Such a frustration, I wish everyone luck resolving this. Mine ended up being two defective oem Bridgestones. I supported a small business replacing these tires after the dealership fed me the usual lines

Users who are viewing this thread