5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '21 has a vibration in the 60-70mph range. I can't feel it in the wheel, which makes me think its in the rear specifically. I'm going to give it a few hundred miles until everything is broken in and if it's not gone by then I will take it in to have it looked at. It's not too bad, but it's enough to annoy me given how smooth the truck is everywhere outside of that range.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '21 has a vibration in the 60-70mph range. I can't feel it in the wheel, which makes me think its in the rear specifically. I'm going to give it a few hundred miles until everything is broken in and if it's not gone by then I will take it in to have it looked at. It's not too bad, but it's enough to annoy me given how smooth the truck is everywhere outside of that range.
Mine was like this till I replaced my tires with Michelin’s last year. Been smooth as silk since. Coming up on 40k miles now

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same battle I’ve fought with my 19 since day one😩

U

User_3336

You can feel it in the seat. If you having your left arm on the window rest, sometimes you can feel it. You can see it with a water bottle.

Never felt it in the steering wheel or gas pedal.

Like I said, new wheels and tires...............went away

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can feel it in the seat. If you having your left arm on the window rest, sometimes you can feel it. You can see it with a water bottle.

Never felt it in the steering wheel or gas pedal.

Like I said, new wheels and tires...............went away

I am guessing it is wheels or tires, but I want to have it looked at before I put new tires on just in case it's still there and they try to say my new tires are causing it. I can feel it in the seat, but there's no shaking of the console or passenger seat like my Titan would do.

Kevlars

Reaction score
Hello all thought I would circle around. Picked up my 2021 Limited on Thursday 17th. And it had some vibration. Took it to discount tires, found it had two rear wheels a bit out of balance. Rebalanced and all is well.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Hello all thought I would circle around. Picked up my 2021 Limited on Thursday 17th. And it had some vibration. Took it to discount tires, found it had two rear wheels a bit out of balance. Rebalanced and all is well.
How much did this cost? I just bought my second 5th gen ram over the weekend and again have the vibration. The first truck was fixed by replacing the wheels and tires. I'm hesitant to go to the dealer and deal with them. Discount Tire has always been kind and helpful to me. I wonder if there is a package that would also include future tire rotations.

Edit: I had an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow and I decided to schedule an appointment with Discount Tire today. For around $120 (they said the exact price depends on the specific tire and I don't know my exact one) they will balance and rotate for life and replace if anything happens to it.

I just don't feel like dealing with the dealer again over this issue and Discount Tire has always been so great to work with.

I also change my own oil but hate rotating my own tires in my driveway. Thank you for convincing me!

Last edited:

TxAg98

Reaction score
So heres my experience. I just purchased a new '21 4x4 Laramie, 3.92, Laramie Southwest Edition, Off Road Group, 20" w/painted inserts and the Falken Wildpeak AT tire. The night I purchased it was near freezing. I test drove this truck, and 2 Big Horn 4x4's Sports with Offroad group, both with 20" wheels and the Falken Wildpeak Tires. All three trucks has a vibration when they came straight off the lot for a bit, but it seemed to smooth out on the drive. My Laramie so far, knock on wood, has been smooth.

Kevlars

Reaction score
How much did this cost? I just bought my second 5th gen ram over the weekend and again have the vibration. The first truck was fixed by replacing the wheels and tires. I'm hesitant to go to the dealer and deal with them. Discount Tire has always been kind and helpful to me. I wonder if there is a package that would also include future tire rotations.

Edit: I had an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow and I decided to schedule an appointment with Discount Tire today. For around $120 (they said the exact price depends on the specific tire and I don't know my exact one) they will balance and rotate for life and replace if anything happens to it.

I just don't feel like dealing with the dealer again over this issue and Discount Tire has always been so great to work with.

I also change my own oil but hate rotating my own tires in my driveway. Thank you for convincing me!
Discount didn't charge me anything to rebalance the tires. Of course I have been a really loyal customer for the last few years. I do not trust the Dealership to balance tires, as the Discount Tire Manager explained the dealer has a balance machine that they really don't use allot of the time. Sometimes they need to be indexed and it is not as accurate as a Tire Shops equipment.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Discount didn't charge me anything to rebalance the tires. Of course I have been a really loyal customer for the last few years. I do not trust the Dealership to balance tires, as the Discount Tire Manager explained the dealer has a balance machine that they really don't use allot of the time. Sometimes they need to be indexed and it is not as accurate as a Tire Shops equipment.
I just went to Discount and they found two tires out of balance. My truck has 150 miles. One wheel they easily re-balanced and the other they re-balanced but said the tire was problematic and if I continued to experience vibrations return and they would replace the tire for free by working with Goodyear. On my short drive back the problem is either gone or greatly improved. Too short of a drive to completely tell.

I paid $120 for lifetime balance, rotation and road-hazard.

I'm not thrilled to spend money on repairs on a brand new truck within a warranty, but not having to deal with the dealership is wonderful. This is my second 5th gen and both trucks had the vibration. The dealershipS I went to to address the vibration in my first truck would argue about not feeling the vibration, blame it on random ideas like re-flashing the transmission, and just generally deny the issue and responsibility for it. I finally fixed the first truck's vibration issues by changing out the wheels and tires to another set of OEM wheels and tires.

For me, this was a great first step. Even if the problem returns, I have lifetime balancing, rotation, and road hazard.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put on new Toyo AT3’s today in 285/55 R22 and my vibration is totally gone as tested up to 75mph so far. As I was suspecting it was due to the cheap factory tires that came on the truck. Now it rides nice and smooth and handles like it’s on rails at speed.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pretty sad that dealerships can't diagnose something like defective tires. For something relatively obvious with a simple solution, people have lemoned their trucks.

I'm curious as to where they get their marching orders, how do they all have the same canned responses? Perhaps it's simply incompetence, maybe they no longer train automotive technicians about where the rubber meets the road

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So heres my experience. I just purchased a new '21 4x4 Laramie, 3.92, Laramie Southwest Edition, Off Road Group, 20" w/painted inserts and the Falken Wildpeak AT tire. The night I purchased it was near freezing. I test drove this truck, and 2 Big Horn 4x4's Sports with Offroad group, both with 20" wheels and the Falken Wildpeak Tires. All three trucks has a vibration when they came straight off the lot for a bit, but it seemed to smooth out on the drive. My Laramie so far, knock on wood, has been smooth.
If it smoothed out after a drive then it was likely caused by flat spots on the tires from sitting in one spot for a long period.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044824 miles.

TxAg98

Reaction score
If it smoothed out after a drive then it was likely caused by flat spots on the tires from sitting in one spot for a long period.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044824 miles.
Agreed. Also, I came from a Toyota Tacoma and a lot of the guys ran the Falken Wild Peaks. There was a run where a lot of people had major issues getting them balanced. Doesn't do anything for the Ram guys with the Bridgestones, but maybe for the ORG guys.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. Also, I came from a Toyota Tacoma and a lot of the guys ran the Falken Wild Peaks. There was a run where a lot of people had major issues getting them balanced. Doesn't do anything for the Ram guys with the Bridgestones, but maybe for the ORG guys.
I wish it was just the tires, but at this point and after talking to people who have also replace tires with no fix! I believe something was designed/manufactured wrong in these 5th gen trucks! Three dealers and ram claims they have no clue and no fix at this point!

WolfHeart

Reaction score
I wish it was just the tires, but at this point and after talking to people who have also replace tires with no fix! I believe something was designed/manufactured wrong in these 5th gen trucks! Three dealers and ram claims they have no clue and no fix at this point!
it is definitely not tires in my case either. That kind of vibration will depend on your speed and vibration would either shake the entire body (rear wheels unbalanced) or mostly the steering column (front wheels unbalanced). What I get is gas pedal starts "buzzing" any time RPM is in 1800-2300 area, no matter speed or gear you are in. Best description would be is like you having a vibrating smartphone under your foot. It's annoying beyond belief and I actually did get my toe numb after driving for 20 minutes straight. Fu...ng sucks to have it on a brand new truck because after reading through this forum I found out it's a relatively common issue and noone found a solution for that.
I already picture my fight with a dealer over what they gonna say is "normal". If they refuse to fix that I'll put this **** all over you tube, facebook and tweeter to at least help other people not to get RAM lemons. And then if we find enough people we could even start a freaking class action.

WolfHeart

Reaction score
Hey bluestreakboy, what engine and gearbox you got? I'm just trying to trace a problem...

WolfHeart

Reaction score
Mine is V6 etorque 4x4 sport 8-speed gearbox. I wonder if it has to do with that stupid etorq feature...

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it is definitely not tires in my case either. That kind of vibration will depend on your speed and vibration would either shake the entire body (rear wheels unbalanced) or mostly the steering column (front wheels unbalanced). What I get is gas pedal starts "buzzing" any time RPM is in 1800-2300 area, no matter speed or gear you are in. Best description would be is like you having a vibrating smartphone under your foot. It's annoying beyond belief and I actually did get my toe numb after driving for 20 minutes straight. Fu...ng sucks to have it on a brand new truck because after reading through this forum I found out it's a relatively common issue and noone found a solution for that.
I already picture my fight with a dealer over what they gonna say is "normal". If they refuse to fix that I'll put this **** all over you tube, facebook and tweeter to at least help other people not to get RAM lemons. And then if we find enough people we could even start a freaking class action.
This sucks, I honestly think my had several issues or the one issue is causing other issues. The dealer told me the rack and pinion and front axles were bad and they have been replaced, before 8,000 miles. This truck has never even been off road and I have driven it very easy! Good luck with your dealer and working on finding a fix!

Sims80

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2020 Laramie Sport. Typically only happens immediately from a cold start. It goes away after a few minutes of driving

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online