5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

tsiripong2000

Reaction score
I had the same issues on my 2019 Limited with 22" wheels. Dealer has to road force balance my good year stock tire several times and also unmount and remount couple of the tires to get the vibration to tolerable level. I recently just replace my tire with Michelin Defender LTX M+S. The dealer told me that these tires balance out fine. After I took it out on a highway, the vibration came back. I then took the truck to a reputable shop that has a newer road force balance machine. They found that every single wheels was about an ounce or 2 off balance and they have to unmount and remount one of the wheel due to require excessive weight to balance. After they done with it, OMGsh, no more vibration. very smooth. The technician told me that with low profile tires on my truck, wheel balance has to be spot on or it could show up at high speed. He also said that they calibrate their machine before use every time.

So far, very happy with Michelin Defender and also happy that I found this shop.

Yelzelity

Reaction score
I had the same tires and multiple RF balancing fix my vibration issues.
I would also add, have the tech balance them without the weight savings option.

tsiripong2000

Reaction score
Just seems like these trucks don’t have much tolerance for slight Imperfection of wheel balancing. From my experience on my truck, RF balancing is a must. Also, if the wheels take lots of weight to balance, unmount the tire and remount to align heavy spot and light spot.

Ness70

Reaction score
I wonder if there's any update on this issue,? the vibration is still not resolved after a few trips to the dealership.

MOJO1970

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram Limited Longhorn with 3.92 rear end and 6'4" box has a vibration at 29-32 MPH and at 52-60 MPH makes a low frequency noise at around 43 similar to having the windows down. Had this problem out of the box with 50 miles.
I have had to the dealer several times. Load balance tires, replace driveshaft, several conversations with the area manager and finally a trip from him and the last response I received from dealer and Ram customer care was that it was characteristic of the vehicle as they test drove another vehicle on lot with 2 piece driveshaft and it had the same vibration. They are saying it is a combination of the MDS and 2 piece driveshaft. More or less told me I had to deal with it. I have appointment at another dealer for a second opinion. then I will take it to arbitration. $70k truck should not vibrate. My 2019 Laramie had no vibration issues but had shorter bed and 1 piece drive shaft. I think that is quite a copout to not and try to find a solution to the problem. I will see what the other dealer has to say. Hate to give up on Ram but that kind of customer service sucks.

U

User_3336

My 2021 Ram Limited Longhorn with 3.92 rear end and 6'4" box has a vibration at 29-32 MPH and at 52-60 MPH makes a low frequency noise at around 43 similar to having the windows down. Had this problem out of the box with 50 miles.
I have had to the dealer several times. Load balance tires, replace driveshaft, several conversations with the area manager and finally a trip from him and the last response I received from dealer and Ram customer care was that it was characteristic of the vehicle as they test drove another vehicle on lot with 2 piece driveshaft and it had the same vibration. They are saying it is a combination of the MDS and 2 piece driveshaft. More or less told me I had to deal with it. I have appointment at another dealer for a second opinion. then I will take it to arbitration. $70k truck should not vibrate. My 2019 Laramie had no vibration issues but had shorter bed and 1 piece drive shaft. I think that is quite a copout to not and try to find a solution to the problem. I will see what the other dealer has to say. Hate to give up on Ram but that kind of customer service sucks.
Blaming it on MDS is sheer b u l l s h i t !

Notsoldonram

Reaction score
Same problem here. 2021 ram 1500 laramie with 13k miles. 392 gear in the rear. No air ride. With stock 20” rims and have had bfgoodrich KO2’s(two brand new sets) and now have Goodyear ultraterrains. All factory size 275/55r20. Just all terrains. But my truck bounces and shakes 35-45 mph an see the bed shaking in my side view mirror and roughly about 60-65mph it starts as a constant vibration and doesn’t stop the faster you go. Tires have been balanced and road force balanced a dozen times and alignment checked 5 times. Been to dealer numerous times and they say it’s cause of the bigger tread on the new tires. (Even though I’ve had these style tires on five other trucks with no shaking or vibration)So about two months into fighting this vibration and shaking steering wheel. I am losing my mind. So spending another 700$ on new factory highway dueler tires. Getting them installed on august 17th. If the truck still shakes it will be back to full stock and I will be leaving it at the dealer till it is fixed. Keep everyone posted. Very very unhappy with my ram purchase. First ram ever. Will probably never buy another one again. Also have the droning noise around 40mph too. I have no idea what to do. 13k miles and totally regretting my decision on ram…..anyone with info please help.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same problem here. 2021 ram 1500 laramie with 13k miles. 392 gear in the rear. No air ride. With stock 20” rims and have had bfgoodrich KO2’s(two brand new sets) and now have Goodyear ultraterrains. All factory size 275/55r20. Just all terrains. But my truck bounces and shakes 35-45 mph an see the bed shaking in my side view mirror and roughly about 60-65mph it starts as a constant vibration and doesn’t stop the faster you go. Tires have been balanced and road force balanced a dozen times and alignment checked 5 times. Been to dealer numerous times and they say it’s cause of the bigger tread on the new tires. (Even though I’ve had these style tires on five other trucks with no shaking or vibration)So about two months into fighting this vibration and shaking steering wheel. I am losing my mind. So spending another 700$ on new factory highway dueler tires. Getting them installed on august 17th. If the truck still shakes it will be back to full stock and I will be leaving it at the dealer till it is fixed. Keep everyone posted. Very very unhappy with my ram purchase. First ram ever. Will probably never buy another one again. Also have the droning noise around 40mph too. I have no idea what to do. 13k miles and totally regretting my decision on ram…..anyone with info please help.
My 19 was all stock and so is my 21, I’m glad, because they were trying to blame it on everything, bad tires, driving habits, etc good luck. It’s sucks having a $60,000 vibrator with tires chewed up!

Icecoldak

Reaction score
SELL it and get it another brand

2022limitednightedition

Reaction score
Definitely not right. I have a 21 limited night edition and took it to the dealer 3 days after buying it for the vibration. It has been most prominent at 57/58 mph and noticeable on either side within 10 mph or so. I bought it on June 23 and the dealer service manager has openly agreed that he feels it too on several occasions. They’ve road force balanced the tires several times, replaced both rear tires and the rear driveshaft, tried it with disabling of the MDS system, calibrated the vibration dampening modules, adjusted the alignment and most recently they replaced the entire rear axle assembly. I’ve owned it since June 23 and of just over 600 miles, I’ve only put a couple hundred on it. No one knows what the issue is and I am going to talk to them tomorrow. My truck has the 22 night edition wheels with good year tires. The loaner they put me in is a big horn with smaller wheels and Bridgestone tires. It does the same thing within the same speed range. It’s really a shame because I love everything about the truck, but a $74k vehicle should not have any vibration like this.

Last edited:

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely not right. I have a 21 limited night edition and took it to the dealer 3 days after buying it for the vibration. It has been most prominent at 57/58 mph and noticeable on either side within 10 mph or so. I bought it on June 23 and the dealer service manager has openly agreed that he feels it too on several occasions. They’ve road force balanced the tires several times, replaced both rear tires and the rear driveshaft, tried it with disabling of the MDS system, calibrated the vibration dampening modules, adjusted the alignment and most recently they replaced the entire rear axle assembly. I’ve owned it since July 23 and of just over 600 miles, I’ve only put a couple hundred on it. No one knows what the issue is and I am going to talk to them tomorrow. My truck has the 22 night edition wheels with good year tires. The loaner they put me in is a big horn with smaller wheels and Bridgestone tires. It does the same thing within the same speed range. It’s really a shame because I love everything about the truck, but a $74k vehicle should not have any vibration like this.
This sounds very familiar, good luck! My 19 Laramie was terrible, I had 20” wheels with the Bridgestones. They tried everything on mine with no fix!😩

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A few things to think about. Tire quality is crap these days and art of tire balancing has not been passed down to the current generation, or they weren't paying attention when the hand off took place. An independent tire shop is your best bet when having tires balanced. Dealerships are terrible with tires. That's why they hand you the tire pamphlet as they don't warranty the tires on a new car and leave it up to the tire manufacturer. Lastly the OEM shocks are soft and floaty which make for a nice cushy ride, the trade off is they don't absorb harmonic vibrations well

Ipeeonmyballs

Reaction score
Are you all running the mopar locking lug nuts on your truck? I've found that they cause vibrations and by removing them and replacing with the regular lug nut from the factory could correct your vibration at highway speeds. Worked for me and I can't stand steering wheel vibrations or shimmy.

2022limitednightedition

Reaction score
Are you all running the mopar locking lug nuts on your truck? I've found that they cause vibrations and by removing them and replacing with the regular lug nut from the factory could correct your vibration at highway speeds. Worked for me and I can't stand steering wheel vibrations or shimmy.
Makes sense but mine doesn’t have the locking lug nuts.

U

User_3336

Good thing you didn't pee on them! LOL

U

User_3336

Lol! **** on those damn vibrations for sure. Charger/Challenger guys have found that requesting tires to be balanced on hunter machines with ‘smart weight’ option turned off works wonders FYI.
So you're saying its not so "smart"?

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I took my truck in for a slight vibration at freeway speeds. I asked them to road force balance the tires. They called and said they think the vibe issue is an out of spec driveshaft. They ordered me a new unit. I will update if I ever get the truck back.

Users who are viewing this thread