5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Brain h

Reaction score
I'll be at the dealer tomorrow for my shake issue. Will bring this up, along with the other possible fixes. (Michelin tires and vibration damper replacement)
Here are the jpegs..they didnt load for some reason..good luck 20190925_182804.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190925-182212_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190925-182212_Chrome.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20190925-182245_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190925-182245_Chrome.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 40

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Is it the chicken or the Egg? It says that a Faulty BCM could CAUSED by vibration issues. So what is it? Are the Unknown vibrations causing the BCM to crap out, or is it the BCM that's causing the vibration? I guess we'll see. Regardless, it's always great to get new information on the subject that just might lead to a resolution! Collect enough info, and eventually it'll get resolved. And since it doesn't happen to every truck, it makes sense that it's a faulty "something" that's causing the problem. Find out what that "faulty something" is, problem solved? Anti-vibration dampners? BCM? maybe we're getting closer guys!!

Brain h

Reaction score
Is it the chicken or the Egg? It says that a Faulty BCM could CAUSED by vibration issues. So what is it? Are the Unknown vibrations causing the BCM to crap out, or is it the BCM that's causing the vibration? I guess we'll see. Regardless, it's always great to get new information on the subject that just might lead to a resolution! Collect enough info, and eventually it'll get resolved. And since it doesn't happen to every truck, it makes sense that it's a faulty "something" that's causing the problem. Find out what that "faulty something" is, problem solved? Anti-vibration dampners? BCM? maybe we're getting closer guys!!
Went by my local dealership this afternoon and was denied any repair other than general service because of the lemon law claim that has been settled even though the code that I brought to them was acknowledged by the dealer and needed to be addressed. Was told that all they could do for me was clear the code and to seek out another dealership for any other service...so basically I was denied warranty service on a brand new vehicle that was seperate from the previous legal claim..
Way to go Chrysler.

Charp

Reaction score
Well, I went to the dealer today for my vibration appointment and they told me to drive another Laramie on the lot with the same wheels/tires as mine. They wanted me to make sure this truck road better than mine, before swapping out the set. However, this truck road much WORSE than mine! It does the same thing, but with more intensity. So now they are ordering me a new set of new original equipment tires. I don't know what to think about this. These Goodyear's seem to be terrible and to have the exact same issue in another truck on the lot, makes no sense to me. I'd rather them swap a set of 20" wheels and tires from the lot, just to rule that out first. So now I must wait until Monday to drop off my truck to get new tires put on. I'm sure my rims will never look the same either. There is always scrapes on the wheels afterwards...

Charp

Reaction score
Update: The dealer replaced the Goodyear fortitude HT with Goodyear SR-A's. So it looks like they put even cheaper tires on it. Not happy with that, but glad it was a different model. It does seem to ride slightly better. However, I've only driven it 10 miles, so haven't had time to really tell. True test is drive to work tomorrow. Will continue to post updates...

Brain h

Reaction score
Update: The dealer replaced the Goodyear fortitude HT with Goodyear SR-A's. So it looks like they put even cheaper tires on it. Not happy with that, but glad it was a different model. It does seem to ride slightly better. However, I've only driven it 10 miles, so haven't had time to really tell. True test is drive to work tomorrow. Will continue to post updates...
Check your tire pressure they under inflated mine to counteract the vibration the first time

joeb

Reaction score
I'll be at the dealer tomorrow for my shake issue. Will bring this up, along with the other possible fixes. (Michelin tires and vibration damper replacement)
Good luck! I mentioned a few things to the service manager that I had researched. His response, "That is the problem with people looking up things on the internet, someone says this and someone says that and no one knows what they are talking about!" Guy was a jerk!

Charp

Reaction score
Good luck! I mentioned a few things to the service manager that I had researched. His response, "That is the problem with people looking up things on the internet, someone says this and someone says that and no one knows what they are talking about!" Guy was a jerk!
Yeah, they seem to have a pre-planned response for everything. Sometimes I just want to tell them, "I know more than you" and just walk away. My vibration is still there but is less than before. I also had them check my clicking brake pedal for which they said they could not duplicate, which must be a lie. It does it when you press and release the pedal 100% of the time. I'm not sure how long I can continue to fight the vibration. Its extremely difficult for me to drop off the truck everytime, because I have 3 kids to pick up everyday. Plus it's a lease and I will most likely trade in early for a non-FCA vehicle. Most likely a Toyota or Lexus. I have had horrible luck with my last 4 vehicles and will finally listen to Scotty Kilmer..

flynfish

Reaction score
Dropped mine off this morning and got a call back that they couldn’t replicate any vibration issue, which I was figuring they would say.

I’m gonna go in tomorrow to try and do a ride with them to explain it but I don’t have high hopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brain h

Reaction score
Dropped mine off this morning and got a call back that they couldn’t replicate any vibration issue, which I was figuring they would say.

I’m gonna go in tomorrow to try and do a ride with them to explain it but I don’t have high hopes.

Good luck with that

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi flynfish,
We're sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this. Has a case been opened on the Customer Care side to assist you while working with your dealer? Feel free to send us a PM!
Alex
Ram Cares

flynfish

Reaction score
Good luck with that

As I suspected, nothing much happened. Took a quick drive and tried to explain and let them feel it, but it’s not super obvious unless you are driving. Maybe I’m just crazy?

After the drive I left it with them and closed out the work order. A few hrs later they said they did a balance check and two of the tires were out of balance and that they fixed them. They never gave a new work order for the balance which makes me suspect that they actually did anything. I couldn’t really feel any difference driving it.

Kellen O

Reaction score
I took mine in a few weeks ago and had a tech ride with me. I could feel the vibration, but it was less than normal. The tech couldn’t tell at all. They reset both computers (sorry can’t remember the acronyms). Nothing has changed. It seems worse now than ever now. The vibration rattles the dash. Eventually I’ll take it back in, I just haven’t had time. I have no confidence anything will be done however.

Charp

Reaction score
I took mine in a few weeks ago and had a tech ride with me. I could feel the vibration, but it was less than normal. The tech couldn’t tell at all. They reset both computers (sorry can’t remember the acronyms). Nothing has changed. It seems worse now than ever now. The vibration rattles the dash. Eventually I’ll take it back in, I just haven’t had time. I have no confidence anything will be done however.
I think that is their goal. To keep kicking the can down the road until the bumper to bumper warranty expires or the lemon law rules expire. I have a 2500 mile journey ahead for me, so I will become very familiar with my new truck. Will see how these replacement tires really work.

Reaction score
I had 800 miles on my truck when I noticed the vibration, I was making a 4 hour drive home to pick up my brother for an 7500 mile road trip.
I have the same issue but I can slightly feel it in the steering wheel too... so seat, floor, pedal, wheel. I rarely drive 55 mph, I’m either under 50 or over 75. I do when slowing down hit the 55 to 60 range and catch a glimpse there but I really get it between 75 and 82.
I thought tires out of balance and since I used to run a tire shop I went there and balanced them myself. They were all out no less than 1.5 ounces and I figured for sure that would fix it but it has not.
I have the longhorn 4x4 with 20’s and 3.92. Has anyone with 20’s tried slapping a set of OE 18’s on to see if there is a difference?

l am at 9800 miles and ready to pull my hair out over this. Know that I know it’s not balance I will have to take it to the dealership. I was really hoping over the past couple weeks someone would have found a resolution other than Michelin’s for a 90% fix. I bought my first Jeep to get out of a shaking Volkswagen. Had two JK’s with 50+ k miles and never a wobble or shake but they are exhausting to drive. I was sooooo excited to have this truck for my trip and long commutes and this is absolutely ruining it.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
It seems like anyone that's had issues with their tires have not had permanent resolutions to their vibration issues. Fixing any tire issues, and/or alignment issues, at best, seems to help lessen the vibration, but not resolve it.

Nearest I can tell from the recent posts, the most popular culprits at this point seem to be:
1. Bad BCM
2. Bad differential/driveshaft
3. Bad anti-vibration dampers

Hell, like @RuggedLongHorn I'm afraid to drive my truck over 60 mph because that's when the real vibration starts happening, and it just gets worse and worse as you increase the speed into the 70's. But I've been hoping someone would have found the "unicorn" solution to this, but I'm not sure if anyone can say without a doubt that they have found a permanent solution to their vibration/wobble issues, especially for any length of time. But for all the posts about tires, I just don't see the tires being the main culprit.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I took mine in Friday for a vibration/shimmy around 60 or 65. And the steering wheel was misaligned to the left. They test drove it and verified they could feel it and also saw the crooked steering wheel. They road force balanced all four and the front two failed. They didn't have the tires in stock so they ordered me two to be put on early this coming week. In the meanwhile they put the bad ones on the rear. I cannot detect any vibration like this. One of the fronts was out of toe adjustment and they fixed that and it drives very straight now. The dealership is Greenway in Orlando.

Ram82

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2019. It's a slight, yet very annoying, vibration that occurs at speeds of about 55-60. I'm going to a local tire shop today to have all four tires rebalanced.
Hi I had same problem with my new ram 1500 changed my tires had bridgestone dueler terrible tire I purchased Michelin defender and made a huge difference but about 5,000 k down the road I'm feeling little bit of vibration and all the imperfections in the road now so I'm not sure what it could be now

Kellen O

Reaction score
Driving back from lunch today my truck is doing the loud exhaust noise and severe vibration it has only done once before. I took video on my phone. The vibration was so severe it rattled the bottle of water in the cup holder. This is much different than the typical “slight vibration”. Wish I could’ve driven straight to the dealer, but have to get back to work.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Driving back from lunch today my truck is doing the loud exhaust noise and severe vibration it has only done once before. I took video on my phone. The vibration was so severe it rattled the bottle of water in the cup holder. This is much different than the typical “slight vibration”. Wish I could’ve driven straight to the dealer, but have to get back to work.
Is it possible to post the video on here? I have never heard of the "loud exhaust noise and severe vibration" thing before.

Users who are viewing this thread