5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Sinister04L

Reaction score
Pretty sad that you have to pay out of pocket for new tires on a brand new truck just to get it to drive like it's supposed to.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sweet deal on the the new Michelins. I got sick this weekend so I'll get my new Defender LTXs next weekend.

I've always sworn by Michelin tires. They seem to require less balancing than other brands and they perform well. I've used the LTX M/S, LTX M/S2, and the Defender LTX is the next step in the progression. I've used the Premier LTX on a Mercedes GL 450. Great riding tire, but tread life was terrible on a tire that began its life with less tread depth than others. I've read that Michelin may be discontinuing the Premier LTX for this reason.

The Bridgestones that came on my truck are doing OK and the truck is smooth even at high speed. What I've learned from my OEM tires in the past is that I was much happier with my vehicle years into the ownership after replacing the tires and I kept asking myself, "Why didn't I do this years ago?" Now I don't wait.

I'll be saving the OEM tires. If I decide to not buy out my lease at the end, I'll put the 1400 mile tires back on it.

I really hope those of you with trucks that aren't riding well are able to find the answers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PTRAM

Reaction score
Pretty sad that you have to pay out of pocket for new tires on a brand new truck just to get it to drive like it's supposed to.

I am not real thrilled about it either, but my dealer probably will not get any money from FCA so I am happy that they at least worked with me and gave me the deal that they did.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Quick question to those that are experiencing this. At what mileage did you start feeling it? Was it from the beginning or like myself, right around 3000 miles? I’m just at over 4000 miles and mysteriously it hasn’t done it in 3 weeks. It’s just as smooth at any speed just like it was when I drove it off the lot. While I’m glad I haven’t experienced it in that time, it does make me wonder what it could’ve of been and will it return? Hopefully somewhere along the way there will be an answer.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Quick question to those that are experiencing this. At what mileage did you start feeling it? Was it from the beginning or like myself, right around 3000 miles? I’m just at over 4000 miles and mysteriously it hasn’t done it in 3 weeks. It’s just as smooth at any speed just like it was when I drove it off the lot. While I’m glad I haven’t experienced it in that time, it does make me wonder what it could’ve of been and will it return? Hopefully somewhere along the way there will be an answer.
Mine was pretty much immediate. Mine wasnt a violent bouncing at 70 like PTRAM, but more of the slight floorboard shimmy that tended to shake seats at 53 to 65 area.

But it was pretty much immediate. I tend to take long unneeded trips after I get a new car just to bond with the new baby. Forst real highway use it appeared. I didnt think much of it because highways surfaces differ, and DC area cant make a flat road to save its life.

Some lanes are semi hauler used more than others and they create sunken dips in surface that you cant see well. So I attributed to that too. Once I realized I was making excuses for the truck, and after allowing 1000 miles (for the brake squeal bedding as well), I took it in.

It was immediate. And I knew it was alignment/balance plus tires that sat for 7 months without moving. After getting back, its solved, with what I pretty much confidently feel the remaining is tires. And I can handle that.

The come and go vibrations in my experience usually amounted to excessive mud dried up inside rim, since I do some of that kind of driving, and tire psi...since temps change and change those variables on a whim.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Mine was pretty much immediate. Mine wasnt a violent bouncing at 70 like PTRAM, but more of the slight floorboard shimmy that tended to shake seats at 53 to 65 area.

But it was pretty much immediate. I tend to take long unneeded trips after I get a new car just to bond with the new baby. Forst real highway use it appeared. I didnt think much of it because highways surfaces differ, and DC area cant make a flat road to save its life.

Some lanes are semi hauler used more than others and they create sunken dips in surface that you cant see well. So I attributed to that too. Once I realized I was making excuses for the truck, and after allowing 1000 miles (for the brake squeal bedding as well), I took it in.

It was immediate. And I knew it was alignment/balance plus tires that sat for 7 months without moving. After getting back, its solved, with what I pretty much confidently feel the remaining is tires. And I can handle that.

The come and go vibrations in my experience usually amounted to excessive mud dried up inside rim, since I do some of that kind of driving, and tire psi...since temps change and change those variables on a whim.
A given tire pressure, even when all 4 are equal, in my experience, can be smooth at one temp, and then, even if all equal still, but temp conditions are different, could be a shimmy.

Depending on temperatures and what not, i change my designated psi...like pretty often.

As I theorized also in previous posts, i also think come and go SLIGHT shimmies MAY/CAN be attributed to how the pressurized gas in certain shocks may be reacting to certain temps...and even spring tension. Cold cold can make a spring stiffer, ajd heated better can make them more maliable.

Anyway these are the types of things I think about.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
What i do wonder is, how many people in the warmer temps (consistently warmer, like 70 and up every day), have any shimmy issues.

I wish there was an excel sheet I could enter all sorts of data.

Jasonml24

Reaction score

Mine isn’t the violent shaking either. Like you said the shimmy in the floor and the seat. My truck only sat on the lot for about 2 months. I never experienced it till I got close to 3000 miles. Now I’m a bit over 4000 and it hasn’t done it in weeks. Temperature around here has been unusually warm till this week and it hasn’t affected the truck. I used to think maybe it was when it was cold out, but now I’m not convinced of that. I hate the idea of having to shell out money for new tires if I don’t need to. Next time I have mine at the dealer I’ll have them check the alignment and see if it’s within specs. I’m more at a loss on why it’s stopped doing it now.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Mine isn’t the violent shaking either. Like you said the shimmy in the floor and the seat. My truck only sat on the lot for about 2 months. I never experienced it till I got close to 3000 miles. Now I’m a bit over 4000 and it hasn’t done it in weeks. Temperature around here has been unusually warm till this week and it hasn’t affected the truck. I used to think maybe it was when it was cold out, but now I’m not convinced of that. I hate the idea of having to shell out money for new tires if I don’t need to. Next time I have mine at the dealer I’ll have them check the alignment and see if it’s within specs. I’m more at a loss on why it’s stopped doing it now.
Heres the thing, my truck was grossly misaligned from factory. That I know is fact. And logically I woukd assume others leave factory out of spec (why and how that happens, idk, and it ticks me off, but anyway). I assume out of the 500,000 tbey made, a good slew of them on roads are also out of spec and shoukd be looked at.

In yours and my case, it was slight, not violent, but annoying. Loose knee hanging wiggling. It was just enough, but no too much, and in your case I can see how tires could wear against the out if spec camber and toes... to wear just enough at the higher friction areas, to begin shaving off the shimmy.

But even tho the shimmy can level itself out, what you end up with are uneven worn tires, premature wear, handling not to spec, and undesigned and unengineered stress on wheel bearings which will cause problems down the line.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
One more thing, the cold shovks and springs theory fits well with many who say they feel it in the morning and after work, but goes away after driving some amount of miles.

My fix for that would be to find higher quality bilsteins when they come out. And higher quality springs. Seat them well, amd a little thicker and softer pads.

zman9119

Reaction score
Tires: 275/55R20 All Season Tires
Wheels: 20.0-Inch x 9.0 Inch Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheel

Received \ Starting Ownership Mileage: 354
Starting Mileage: ~500

Occurring conditions:
Temps: Between 65F to 5F since owned. Occurs at all ranges over the last 46 days of ownership (only had vehicle in possession for 29 days ; 17 at dealership).
Wx Conditions Occurring: Have had all types: dry \ clear, rain, snow (slush, falling \ fluff, hardpack), icy, sunny and night time, mostly cloudy, partly cloudy, mist, fog, haze, etc.
Road Types: Newly paved and old \ existing concrete, asphalt, bituminous.
Speed: Mainly between 58-63mph but noticeable between 54 - 65mph.
Tire PSI: Tried at spec, slightly below spec, and slightly above spec.

Vehicle Conditions:
Occurs whether just started or has been running. No changes over trip distance or engine use.

Other Notes:
Experienced over heavy \ hard-packed snow this weekend on the expressway traveling at "safe speed" which the GF did not enjoy at all (gets car sick with the bouncing).
Basically it feels like you are going over packed snow that has some spots bare \ melted or driving at speed with a crapload of snow \ ice built up under your truck.

The search continues....

Last edited:

Longhorn5G

Reaction score

Occurring conditions:
Temps: Between 65F to 5F since owned. Occurs at all ranges over the last 46 days of ownership (only had vehicle in possession for 29 days ; 17 at dealership).
Wx Conditions Occurring: Have had all types: dry \ clear, rain, snow (slush, falling \ fluff, hardpack), icy, sunny and night time, mostly cloudy, partly cloudy, mist, fog, haze, etc.

Vehicle Conditions:
Occurs whether just started or has been running. No changes over trip distance or engine use.

Other Notes:
Experienced over heavy \ hard-packed snow this weekend on the expressway traveling at "safe speed" which the GF did not enjoy at all (gets car sick with the bouncing).
Basically it feels like you are going over packed snow that has some spots bare \ melted or driving at speed with a crapload of snow \ ice built up under your truck.

The search continues....
And what speed does it begin, ejd and where is it the worst.

Jasonml24

Reaction score

Occurring conditions:

Vehicle Conditions:

Other Notes:

The search continues....
What has your dealer come up with if anything? Seeing this issue seems to be widespread among different size tires and brands of tires, I’m seriously leaning towards a suspension issue. Like I posted earlier mine has mysteriously stopped about 3 weeks ago, but that still doesn’t make me feel confident it won’t come back. Personally I’d rather have someone come across a faulty part so at least we’d have the answer to why. Still holding out hope that some mechanic taking a look at this issue will stumble across the cause.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I know in my case I didn’t even have to look at the speedometer to know I was close to 55mph. From there till about 65 it would be there. Get above 65 and below 55 and it was smooth as glass.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Update: After 5 visits my dealer has put Michelin Defenders on the vehicle. During the install, another rim was discovered to be out of spec. It will be here later this week.

I had to have the truck this week so I took it with 3 new Michelin's and one Goodyear with a bad rim and no TPMS sensor.

The truck must have been sitting for a few days, because when I pulled out of the lot, oh my god the shaking coming from that one wheel was violent at 60. It was almost like I tied a brick to one of my wheels. The jostling didn't subside until about 10 minutes later when I got on the highway and got everything warmed up. Now it's back to it's usual vibration at 60.

So just waiting on this one last rim and hopefully all should be resolved.

Me IRL:

zman9119

Reaction score
I read that it occurs during all scenarios. That said, is it constant 24/7, or periodic during each of the scenarios..

In other words, have you EVER had a smooth ride.

The first 250-300 miles were ok, but I was all open expressway driving at 75+ or crawling through city traffic at 5-20 mph. Received the truck on a Monday, left the next morning. Started to notice it that weekend as I was more at the cruising speed it was occurring at.

Most noticeable around 58-63, but can feel it starting at 54 to 65. Speed can either be manual on the pedal or cruise, still occurs. Same with using the gear selector to kill off Eco mode. (will update my other post to include these for future ref).

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Update: After 5 visits my dealer has put Michelin Defenders on the vehicle. During the install, another rim was discovered to be out of spec. It will be here later this week.

I had to have the truck this week so I took it with 3 new Michelin's and one Goodyear with a bad rim and no TPMS sensor.

The truck must have been sitting for a few days, because when I pulled out of the lot, oh my god the shaking coming from that one wheel was violent at 60. It was almost like I tied a brick to one of my wheels. The jostling didn't subside until about 10 minutes later when I got on the highway and got everything warmed up. Now it's back to it's usual vibration at 60.

So just waiting on this one last rim and hopefully all should be resolved.

Me IRL:
Hopefully this solves your issue. How did they come to the conclusion you had a couple bad rims. The reason I’m asking is I brought that up to my service manager and he assured me mine where fine and that road force balancing them would’ve showed if they or a tire was bad. Not buying that but didn’t have time to sit and argue it with him.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Hopefully this solves your issue. How did they come to the conclusion you had a couple bad rims. The reason I’m asking is I brought that up to my service manager and he assured me mine where fine and that road force balancing them would’ve showed if they or a tire was bad. Not buying that but didn’t have time to sit and argue it with him.

I think they spun it on the balance machine and it was visibly out of round.

zman9119

Reaction score
What has your dealer come up with if anything? Seeing this issue seems to be widespread among different size tires and brands of tires, I’m seriously leaning towards a suspension issue. Like I posted earlier mine has mysteriously stopped about 3 weeks ago, but that still doesn’t make me feel confident it won’t come back. Personally I’d rather have someone come across a faulty part so at least we’d have the answer to why. Still holding out hope that some mechanic taking a look at this issue will stumble across the cause.

Dealer has came up with nothing at all. Ride is smooth outside of this (at least here) cruising speed.

vib-snip.PNG

Sinister04L

Reaction score
I am not real thrilled about it either, but my dealer probably will not get any money from FCA so I am happy that they at least worked with me and gave me the deal that they did.

It's better than nothing, but still sucks that you had to pay to get your brand new vehicle up to snuff. I'm hoping that mine will be an easy fix.

Mine started with just a couple hundred miles on it. I think the cold makes it worse. It warmed back up last week (I live in the Houston area) and it went away almost entirely. Now it's colder again and I can feel it for the first ~15 minutes of driving, then it goes away just like it did before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online