5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I purchased my Ram about 4 weeks ago (see signature for details) and have the "vibration" that this thread describes. I noticed it from about 50 mph up, but maybe slightly at lower speeds. I also noticed it more before the tires warmed up so similar to many posts on here. I had my tires balanced at the dealer and it may have helped some but I need more miles to make that a definite help. My tires are 275/55-R 20 as LRR TIRE. (Code TTH) No idea what the LRR stands for. The brand of the tires are Nexen which I had never heard of before this.. (CodeTZNP) All my previous Rams all had Good Year Wrangler tires from the factory. This must be a tire for the Big Horn model. I thought maybe this vibration was coming from these brand of tires, but apparently not from what I have read on this thread with various brands of tires.
I honestly don’t think it matters the tires. If you read back there are guys that have Goodyear’s, Nexens and Bridgestone and all are having this issue. Guys have gone to different brands and it hasn’t fixed it. Personally I have the Bridgestones on my truck and I never experienced this till I hit about 3,000 miles and the temperature in my area cooled off quite a bit. As far as the tires getting flat spots after sitting for a long period time , I could buy that if it did it everyday. Mine honestly seems to come and go and I think it’s been dependent on the temperature. I have come to the belief that there is a faulty part on the truck and I’m leaning towards the suspension in the rear, either a bad bushing that maybe gets too stiff in the cold or something like that. My issue is magnified when I’m pulling a trailer empty or loaded. I’m not a mechanic so take my opinion for what it is.

Smoot178

Reaction score
I honestly don’t think it matters the tires. If you read back there are guys that have Goodyear’s, Nexens and Bridgestone and all are having this issue. Guys have gone to different brands and it hasn’t fixed it. Personally I have the Bridgestones on my truck and I never experienced this till I hit about 3,000 miles and the temperature in my area cooled off quite a bit. As far as the tires getting flat spots after sitting for a long period time , I could buy that if it did it everyday. Mine honestly seems to come and go and I think it’s been dependent on the temperature. I have come to the belief that there is a faulty part on the truck and I’m leaning towards the suspension in the rear, either a bad bushing that maybe gets too stiff in the cold or something like that. My issue is magnified when I’m pulling a trailer empty or loaded. I’m not a mechanic so take my opinion for what it is.

My dealer today told me that they put a set of 20" rims and tires on my truck, and it resolved the issue.

Just waiting to see what they do next.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
My dealer today told me that they put a set of 20" rims and tires on my truck, and it resolved the issue.

Just waiting to see what they do next.
Hopefully that is the answer. I would see if they’ll let you drive it and see for yourself. I had an issue with my wife’s car very similar and the dealership took wheels off a car on the lot and said it fixed the vibration in her car. I went and drove it with the tech and we both agreed it was still there. Turned out it was a sidewall on the tire that was bad.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I am leaning toward it being a very sligjtly bad shock. These all seem temperature related for the most part, either all the time when it IS cold out, or when the car has sat and the gas in the shock is less used overnight, then tapers away the vibes as it warms.

My belief is that whatever is happening in the shock, it either isnt letting the shock travel to spec, or rest at spec.

The spring plays a part in the resting to spec. So, it could also be just a slightly wrong length, or misaligned spring not seated correctly. Such that, at low speeds nothing really matters, but as the speed hits the right spot, its unbalanced.

The temp being cold attributes to the maliability of the metal and its flexibility.

If tires are good and balanced, and car is aligned, what else could be left? And uneven wheel hub? Most other suspension errors make a sound, usually.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I am leaning toward it being a very sligjtly bad shock. These all seem temperature related for the most part, either all the time when it IS cold out, or when the car has sat and the gas in the shock is less used overnight, then tapers away the vibes as it warms.

My belief is that whatever is happening in the shock, it either isnt letting the shock travel to spec, or rest at spec.

The spring plays a part in the resting to spec. So, it could also be just a slightly wrong length, or misaligned spring not seated correctly. Such that, at low speeds nothing really matters, but as the speed hits the right spot, its unbalanced.

The temp being cold attributes to the maliability of the metal and its flexibility.

If tires are good and balanced, and car is aligned, what else could be left? And uneven wheel hub? Most other suspension errors make a sound, usually.
I totally agree with this. In an earlier post I stated that a mechanic friend of mine, even though he’s just going by my description of the issue, says he thinks it’ll end up being something suspension wise. He stated the fact that it’s happening to people with different size wheels and different brand tires, and the fact that it comes and goes depending on temperature and how long it sits,would have him looking at suspension issues. I just wish he was still a Chrysler/Dodge mechanic. Unfortunately he’s a mechanic for the state now and has no info he can look at.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I totally agree with this. In an earlier post I stated that a mechanic friend of mine, even though he’s just going by my description of the issue, says he thinks it’ll end up being something suspension wise. He stated the fact that it’s happening to people with different size wheels and different brand tires, and the fact that it comes and goes depending on temperature and how long it sits,would have him looking at suspension issues. I just wish he was still a Chrysler/Dodge mechanic. Unfortunately he’s a mechanic for the state now and has no info he can look at.
I have asked in different threads for people to report a wobble gone after a lift. I dont get answers, bc i guess no oje whos lifted to new shocks or springs has had the wobble first

Me? Id just assume lift it too. I want to lift anyway. Plus, after alignment and balance, its not even real noticable anymore for me

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I have asked in different threads for people to report a wobble gone after a lift. I dont get answers, bc i guess no oje whos lifted to new shocks or springs has had the wobble first

Me? Id just assume lift it too. I want to lift anyway. Plus, after alignment and balance, its not even real noticable anymore for me
That would be my guess too, plus I think like some other issues that have been reported, some experience it and some don’t. My 15 Silverado that i had came with Goodyear Duratracs on it, and it had a bit of a vibration at about 60 mph, but nothing quite like this. My 09 Silverado was lifted and I had 35’s on it and it was smooth at any speed and that was with Nitto Trail Grapplers on it. Best tires I’ve ever owned. As much as I like both of those trucks, this Ram hands down is the nicest truck I’ve ever owned, and this issue aside I have no regrets switching brands.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
That would be my guess too, plus I think like some other issues that have been reported, some experience it and some don’t. My 15 Silverado that i had came with Goodyear Duratracs on it, and it had a bit of a vibration at about 60 mph, but nothing quite like this. My 09 Silverado was lifted and I had 35’s on it and it was smooth at any speed and that was with Nitto Trail Grapplers on it. Best tires I’ve ever owned. As much as I like both of those trucks, this Ram hands down is the nicest truck I’ve ever owned, and this issue aside I have no regrets switching brands.
If FCA cant do much more, it might be worth it just to spend a couple hundred on a nice HD bilstein set anyway. Some quality springs. Whenever they put them out. Get solid quality and maybe at least an inch of clearance for good measure. Or more.

I love me some fresh suspensions. I love a faint thumpety thud that you can barely feel.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I purchased my Ram about 4 weeks ago (see signature for details) and have the "vibration" that this thread describes. I noticed it from about 50 mph up, but maybe slightly at lower speeds. I also noticed it more before the tires warmed up so similar to many posts on here. I had my tires balanced at the dealer and it may have helped some but I need more miles to make that a definite help. My tires are 275/55-R 20 as LRR TIRE. (Code TTH) No idea what the LRR stands for. The brand of the tires are Nexen which I had never heard of before this.. (CodeTZNP) All my previous Rams all had Good Year Wrangler tires from the factory. This must be a tire for the Big Horn model. I thought maybe this vibration was coming from these brand of tires, but apparently not from what I have read on this thread with various brands of tires.

TODAY-- I went back to my dealer for something else, but it seemed like my vibration was worse as it vibrated at all speeds today so had them take another look at it. They did another forced balance (think is what they call it) after I had the head tech take a drive. By the way, this vehicle had sit on their lot for 6 months before I purchased it and only had 8 miles on it so you know it had been sitting without moving most of the time it sit there. WHAT they did today===after the second check they ordered me one tire as they did find one that had a flat spot on it. So, I will report again when the new tire comes in and let you know if that solved it or at least made less vibration then. (edit- I drove about 25 miles before I arrived at the dealer so the tires were warm and still no difference in the vibration this morning.)

Last edited:

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
TODAY-- I went back to my dealer for something else, but it seemed like my vibration was worse as it vibrated at all speeds today so had them take another look at it. They did another forced balance (think is what they call it) after I had the head tech take a drive. By the way, this vehicle had sit on their lot for 6 months before I purchased it and only had 8 miles on it so you know it had been sitting without moving most of the time it sit there. WHAT they did today===after the second check they ordered me one tire as they did find one that had a flat spot on it. So, I will report again when the new tire comes in and let you know if that solved it or at least made less vibration then. (edit- I drove about 25 miles before I arrived at the dealer so the tires were warm and still no difference in the vibration this morning.)
Mine sat for 7 months, 15 miles. Hardly a test drive. I think it was showroom most of the time.

Same boat. People with slight wobbles should figure out how long theirs sat, to better help them diagnose. Wont be everyone aolutions, but maybe theirs.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I have read 5 pages of posts on this thread so far. Trying to get caught up. So I am going to give my build date which was 5-18- 2018 to see if the build date could be a hint towards the problem. I had read that they did make a production change on another thread on here and the Ram safety tested was built after this change in the vehicle. Maybe already covered this--still reading all posts--6 pages to go.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I have read 5 pages of posts on this thread so far. Trying to get caught up. So I am going to give my build date which was 5-18- 2018 to see if the build date could be a hint towards the problem. I had read that they did make a production change on another thread on here and the Ram safety tested was built after this change in the vehicle. Maybe already covered this--still reading all posts--6 pages to go.
I will save you the reading... it hasnt been addressed in here yet

U

User_3336

and most likely won't. I still say, its NOT the tires. Its something in the suspension causing the vibration.

Ford has it, chevy has it. Titan has it somewhat (but not as bad). Strange the 18's didn't have this issue quite as bad.

Lots of things going on in the suspension. I was just told "Its simply the harmonics of a truck suspension".

Eventually you guys are gonna drive yourselves nuts over this.

I will save you the reading... it hasnt been addressed in here yet

Mike133

Reaction score
It will drive us nuts. Way i look at though is we spent a LOT of money on a new truck with all these amazing advancements in ride and noise canceling gadgets and not all of them have the vibration. So that tells me that there is something not right with the trucks that have it and my hope with watching this thread is SOMEONE will finally figure out what the defect is on ours that have the vibration and we can get it fixed. I've personally have had several rams in my life and this is by far the nicest but NONE of them have had this vibration.
Hopefully it will be figured out soon.

Last edited:

Smoot178

Reaction score
and most likely won't. I still say, its NOT the tires. Its something in the suspension causing the vibration.

Ford has it, chevy has it. Titan has it somewhat (but not as bad). Strange the 18's didn't have this issue quite as bad.

Lots of things going on in the suspension. I was just told "Its simply the harmonics of a truck suspension".

Eventually you guys are gonna drive yourselves nuts over this.

At FCA Headquarters:

Executive: When the MDS kicks on, it kinda makes this low growling noise. What's up engineers?
Engineer: Okay, we can design an active noise cancellation system that will compensate for the drone...
Executive: Okay good! And while you're at it, I can everrrr so slightly feel the MDS system kick on, what can you do about that?
Engineer: We came up with this super cool system where we basically strap two shake-weights to the frame and the vibration is gone!
Executive: Excellent! Now, we need a class leading suspension system what can we do?
Engineer: We are going to put a beautiful 4 corner air suspension system on the new trucks as an option.
Executive: Ok guys. One more thing. There's a pretty annoying vibration at 60 mph, what can we do to make sure our customers are happy and get rid of the problem?
Engineer: ****ing nothing. What do you think this thing is, a minivan?

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
At FCA Headquarters:

Executive: When the MDS kicks on, it kinda makes this low growling noise. What's up engineers?
Engineer: Okay, we can design an active noise cancellation system that will compensate for the drone...
Executive: Okay good! And while you're at it, I can everrrr so slightly feel the MDS system kick on, what can you do about that?
Engineer: We came up with this super cool system where we basically strap two shake-weights to the frame and the vibration is gone!
Executive: Excellent! Now, we need a class leading suspension system what can we do?
Engineer: We are going to put a beautiful 4 corner air suspension system on the new trucks as an option.
Executive: Ok guys. One more thing. There's a pretty annoying vibration at 60 mph, what can we do to make sure our customers are happy and get rid of the problem?
Engineer: ****ing nothing. What do you think this thing is, a minivan?
Executive: "Okay. They did ask for CD Players back in their trucks. Maybe they will like the way trucks vibrated in the 90's too."

Jasonml24

Reaction score
My mechanic friend told me today, even though he finds it highly unlikely, is torque converter shutter. He said most of these new converters the computer won’t let it totally lockup and unlock till it hits around 5,000 miles. Now mind you he says he’s only seen it a few times and it was due to the transmission not being filled to the proper level. Im going on almost 3 weeks and I’ve only felt it slightly to where for awhile I was feeling it everyday. I just turned 4,000 miles. I’m glad but worried. Things usually don’t fix themselves.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
My mechanic friend told me today, even though he finds it highly unlikely, is torque converter shutter. He said most of these new converters the computer won’t let it totally lockup and unlock till it hits around 5,000 miles. Now mind you he says he’s only seen it a few times and it was due to the transmission not being filled to the proper level. Im going on almost 3 weeks and I’ve only felt it slightly to where for awhile I was feeling it everyday. I just turned 4,000 miles. I’m glad but worried. Things usually don’t fix themselves.
Good point though. The PCM does program itself based on the driving it sees and logs. At least the 2015 Jeep PCM does. So what you're saying here isnt that far fetched really.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Okay, I am waiting on one new tire that they said would not balance because of a flat spot. I should get it tomorrow. I was driving at 70 mph down the Interstate today and my Ram was really "bouncing" from supposedly one bad tire. As previously posted this Ram had sit there for over 6 months before I purchased it and it had 8 miles on it when I took possession. I have a feeling all tires have flat spots. However, I am not going to get all worked up about it as I am pretty sure I am going to purchase some new tires unless this one tire was the entire problem and anyhow I am not convinced the Nexen tires are a quality tire. This is an old thread but if anybody reads this and has a suggestion as to what a quality tire in your opinion would be to replace these Nexens, I will appreciate it. Tire size is 275/55R20 mounted on 9.0 inch wheels. I don't need a real aggressive tread as I will mainly be doing highway and city driving. Vehicle is described in my signature. Thanks to anybody that might have a suggestion. I still love my Ram--just have to get this problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread