5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Okay, I am waiting on one new tire that they said would not balance because of a flat spot. I should get it tomorrow. I was driving at 70 mph down the Interstate today and my Ram was really "bouncing" from supposedly one bad tire. As previously posted this Ram had sit there for over 6 months before I purchased it and it had 8 miles on it when I took possession. I have a feeling all tires have flat spots. However, I am not going to get all worked up about it as I am pretty sure I am going to purchase some new tires unless this one tire was the entire problem and anyhow I am not convinced the Nexen tires are a quality tire. This is an old thread but if anybody reads this and has a suggestion as to what a quality tire in your opinion would be to replace these Nexens, I will appreciate it. Tire size is 275/55R20 mounted on 9.0 inch wheels. I don't need a real aggressive tread as I will mainly be doing highway and city driving. Vehicle is described in my signature. Thanks to anybody that might have a suggestion. I still love my Ram--just have to get this problem solved.
You need NO OTHER ADVICE here:

MICHELIN LTX M/S. pick a size. With your designated driving, you coukd even go Premier probably.

Done.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Michelin Defender....

Whatever. Michelins.

Believe me, I am looking at Michelin,s only at this point. If I am going to have invest a big chunk of change for us on new tires that I feel are safe, they will definitely be Michelin's. Michelin,s are the best in my book too.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Believe me, I am looking at Michelin,s only at this point. If I am going to have invest a big chunk of change for us on new tires that I feel are safe, they will definitely be Michelin's. Michelin,s are the best in my book too.
Safe, and performance superior, longetivity, especially highway, and comfort.

No I dont work for Michelin. But like 20 cars in my life, multiple types of cars, many a mile driven, and many a different brands, and Michelin is where its at.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Safe, and performance superior, longetivity, especially highway, and comfort.

No I dont work for Michelin. But like 20 cars in my life, multiple types of cars, many a mile driven, and many a different brands, and Michelin is where its at.

I found some prices for my proper size at a local tire dealer--Defender LTX-MS $211.67; LTX MS2 $236.49; (both 70,000 miles) and LTX- AT2 $224.69 (60,000) All Michelins and I also believe that Michelins are the best. I just want to be ready if the Ram is the same Ram I drive home tomorrow after the new tire is on it. I really don't think that just one tire is bad, but will find out hopefully tomorrow--said I had to be there at 7:00 AM. I have already prepared myself just to accept what I have to do. If they say it is okay after the new tire is on, I probably will go ahead and get some Michelin tires anyhow.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I found some prices for my proper size at a local tire dealer--Defender LTX-MS $211.67; LTX MS2 $236.49; (both 70,000 miles) and LTX- AT2 $224.69 (60,000) All Michelins and I also believe that Michelins are the best. I just want to be ready if the Ram is the same Ram I drive home tomorrow after the new tire is on it. I really don't think that just one tire is bad, but will find out hopefully tomorrow--said I had to be there at 7:00 AM. I have already prepared myself just to accept what I have to do. If they say it is okay after the new tire is on, I probably will go ahead and get some Michelin tires anyhow.
Thats the prices I have seen too. Im ready as well. Im trying to force myself from pulling trigger I want them so badly.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
@Gman said hes getting some put on, today or tomorrow, i forget. Defenders. I cant wait to hear his review. Hope he records his drive to the install and after, so maybe he can capture how much quieter... not that the Bridgestones are loud. But i found that Michelins are quieter no matter what they replace.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Update: Dealer called and said they found another rim with a defect when doing a final inspection. Replacement will arrive Monday/Tuesday.

Does anyone know who manufactures rims for FCA? Is it in house or contracted?

PTRAM

Reaction score
@Gman said hes getting some put on, today or tomorrow, i forget. Defenders. I cant wait to hear his review. Hope he records his drive to the install and after, so maybe he can capture how much quieter... not that the Bridgestones are loud. But i found that Michelins are quieter no matter what they replace.

I am going to order from my dealer either the LTX MS2 or the LTX Defender --if you see this shortly--give me your opinion==I have not asked them for any remission but I can't drive my Ram with the tires on there now==$980 for the Defender installed and $1050 for the LTX MS2 installed.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I am going to order from my dealer either the LTX MS2 or the LTX Defender --if you see this shortly--give me your opinion==I have not asked them for any remission but I can't drive my Ram with the tires on there now==$980 for the Defender installed and $1050 for the LTX MS2 installed.
With each tire averaging from Tire Rack or Discount tmTire about 220 to 230 per tire, that makes a 4 tire purchase 880 or so, plus then you woukd have to get them mounted and balanced somewhere, for an additional 100. Makes that 980 or so. Throw in the aggravation that by irsering online you will have to receive delivery and take them to a shop...

Assuming the dealer actually Road Force your balance, that seems like a pretty decent deal, no matter which tire option you choose, Defender or LTX, in my opinion.

They will probably push for an alugnment like some simple tire install plaxes like to do, claiming that a lot of tire installs need alignments. Dont fall for that. Thats usually because people replace tires after being worn, etc.

I never aligned my jeep with 3 sets, and the Jeep run true straight hands off wheel at 66,000 miles.

On the other hand, my truck WAS out of alignment specs when new from factory. But I think you said your dealer checks yours automatically so you shpukd be good to go.

ddonia

Reaction score
Any change since you last posted. Still holding out hope that maybe you solved it.
Unfortunately, no....the issue went away for about 2 weeks while the modules were unplugged but then suddenly it returned. I thought I had something there for a minute but that did not see to be the solution. Wobble and vibration still exist. Ugh...

PTRAM

Reaction score
With each tire averaging from Tire Rack or Discount tmTire about 220 to 230 per tire, that makes a 4 tire purchase 880 or so, plus then you woukd have to get them mounted and balanced somewhere, for an additional 100. Makes that 980 or so. Throw in the aggravation that by irsering online you will have to receive delivery and take them to a shop...

Assuming the dealer actually Road Force your balance, that seems like a pretty decent deal, no matter which tire option you choose, Defender or LTX, in my opinion.

They will probably push for an alugnment like some simple tire install plaxes like to do, claiming that a lot of tire installs need alignments. Dont fall for that. Thats usually because people replace tires after being worn, etc.

I never aligned my jeep with 3 sets, and the Jeep run true straight hands off wheel at 66,000 miles.

On the other hand, my truck WAS out of alignment specs when new from factory. But I think you said your dealer checks yours automatically so you shpukd be good to go.

I just ordered the Defenders and price included install. They won't charge me for an alignment if it needs it. I will get them Monday or Tuesday--they will probably come in before 1:00 PM but I may wait till Tuesday to get them put on. It was another person on here who said they check his alignment automatically but my dealer will take care of me. I don't know if they will pay for part of this or not but it makes no difference, I couldn't drive the Ram the way it is now. Yesterday I was going 70 mph on the Interstate and the front was really "bouncing." Its not like I have money to spare as I am a senior citizen with fixed income and we make it okay but after buying the Ram and the tonneau cover I am beginning to be bottoming out on the going out over the coming in. I figured if this doesn't solve the problem, I have a more serious problem as nobody on here seems to agree if it is the tires or something else or maybe both in my case. I will post more next week once I get the tires.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I understand. I wasnt budgeting for the new tires either when I bought my truck. I knew eventually I would want the Michelins in any case. But I am ordering soon too, at 2700 miles.

The good aspect to me, is: if the tires dont solve anything at all (but being michelins they will improve SOMETHING), then the tires you keep (and please DO MAKE SURE you take your "old" tires) can be put on when the michelins wear down as a new set, for a cost saving measure down the line. Also, make sure that if you take yoyr old tires, there isnt a tire disposal fee on your charge, because they didnt dispose of any.

Or, you can sell them on Craigslist or something at a reasonable price and make back some amount that was spent on the Michelins.

What part of the country are you located, by the way?

ddonia

Reaction score
My mechanic friend told me today, even though he finds it highly unlikely, is torque converter shutter. He said most of these new converters the computer won’t let it totally lockup and unlock till it hits around 5,000 miles. Now mind you he says he’s only seen it a few times and it was due to the transmission not being filled to the proper level. Im going on almost 3 weeks and I’ve only felt it slightly to where for awhile I was feeling it everyday. I just turned 4,000 miles. I’m glad but worried. Things usually don’t fix themselves.

Funny you mention this, I have thought that it feels like torque converter shutter too but I dismissed that internally simply because it is a new truck. I had a converter fail on an old Grand Cherokee and it felt very similar. Maybe this is something...

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I just ordered the Defenders and price included install. They won't charge me for an alignment if it needs it. I will get them Monday or Tuesday--they will probably come in before 1:00 PM but I may wait till Tuesday to get them put on. It was another person on here who said they check his alignment automatically but my dealer will take care of me. I don't know if they will pay for part of this or not but it makes no difference, I couldn't drive the Ram the way it is now. Yesterday I was going 70 mph on the Interstate and the front was really "bouncing." Its not like I have money to spare as I am a senior citizen with fixed income and we make it okay but after buying the Ram and the tonneau cover I am beginning to be bottoming out on the going out over the coming in. I figured if this doesn't solve the problem, I have a more serious problem as nobody on here seems to agree if it is the tires or something else or maybe both in my case. I will post more next week once I get the tires.
Another idea: because the dealer is aware that one or more of the Nexen had a flat spot and (at least in their minds) is causing this issue for you... you may go at this angle with them in regards to a deal...

Perhaps advise them of what I just wrote in last paragraph, and then say that since the nexens are still new, maybe they can keep them at a returnable trade in cost, like 100 per tire or so. And that you will he willing to then pay THAT difference, since the reason you are even doing this is because of faulty Nexens.

Your dealer seems accomodating for you, and may be worth a shot. In this type of case, it would be like selling them on craigslist, but getting around that part of it.

I think its a reasonable leg to stand on. Being Nexens, I doubt anyone there could really blame you. Worth a try I think.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I just read you post but don't have my tires yet. I am going to get them in a couple of hours so maybe I will get back on here to let you know if the new tires solved the problem. My service manager was off Saturday and today or I think I could have worked out a better deal as he was on my side. I did talk to the Gm and got the price to 600 plus tax I think. I told him they could put those tires on a used vehicle. Will let you know later today how it worked out.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I just read you post but don't have my tires yet. I am going to get them in a couple of hours so maybe I will get back on here to let you know if the new tires solved the problem. My service manager was off Saturday and today or I think I could have worked out a better deal as he was on my side. I did talk to the Gm and got the price to 600 plus tax I think. I told him they could put those tires on a used vehicle. Will let you know later today how it worked out.
Wow, awesome. For 600 versus 980 or 1000, you basically did just trade those tires at about 100 a pop. Great work! Even if the tires dont fully solve the problem, at least you'll be in better shape with MUCH better tires.

If it doesnt fully solve, at that point, I'd be focusing on the drive shaft and having them check to see if its balanced and weighted correctly.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I have my New Truck now. I have the Michelin Defenders on my great 2019 Big Horn now. I just had them installed about two hours ago now. They took it out for a test drive to check everything and then I drove it home (20-23 miles). When they let me see it in the service lane, the head tech and others said it looks better now with new tires on it and I agree. You know the old saying that really fits well here. The "proof" is when the "rubber meets the road" and you would think they know that in Detroit. When going to the dealer I hit about 70 mph once and it was really shaking. When I left the dealer my mpg was right at 14.0 and after driving it home which included some long stops in the city and me putting the pedal to the medal when I entered two different Interstates it said 14.3 and the 33 gallon tank is at about half empty and I had never reset the mpg since filling up, so I was surprised it increased the mpg. that much. As I left the dealer I could tell that it felt different immediately, like it was rolling much easier. The ECO was coming on at under 40 mph. When I was on the Interstate, traffic was a little heavy but I run it up to about 76 mph twice and as smooth as silk now. I only have about 650 miles on it as we are retired and didn't do much driving over the holidays. (had the Ram about a month now) Yes, I paid $600 dollars TOTAL to the dealer, but I do have a good dealership. I will update as I drive some more, but wanted to give my first impression on the new Michelin's and that is it was WORTH the 600 bucks even though it hurts a little bit when on a fixed income. Actually, it was darn well worth it at least on my first impression. (Bill said $954 but they cut it down to $600 including tax)

Factory tires were Nexen Roadian's .

Last edited:

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I have my New Truck now. I have the Michelin Defenders on my great 2019 Big Horn now. I just had them installed about two hours ago now. They took it out for a test drive to check everything and then I drove it home (20-23 miles). When they let me see it in the service lane, the head tech and others said it looks better now with new tires on it and I agree. You know the old saying that really fits well here. The "proof" is when the "rubber meets the road" and you would think they know that in Detroit. When going to the dealer I hit about 70 mph once and it was really shaking. When I left the dealer my mpg was right at 14.0 and after driving it home which included some long stops in the city and me putting the pedal to the medal when I entered two different Interstates it said 14.3 and the 33 gallon tank is at about half empty and I had never reset the mpg since filling up, so I was surprised it increased the mpg. that much. As I left the dealer I could tell that it felt different immediately, like it was rolling much easier. The ECO was coming on at under 40 mph. When I was on the Interstate, traffic was a little heavy but I run it up to about 76 mph twice and as smooth as silk now. I only have about 650 miles on it as we are retired and didn't do much driving over the holidays. (had the Ram about a month now) Yes, I paid $600 dollars TOTAL to the dealer, but I do have a good dealership. I will update as I drive some more, but wanted to give my first impression on the new Michelin's and that is it was WORTH the 600 bucks even though it hurts a little bit when on a fixed income. Actually, it was darn well worth it at least on my first impression. (Bill said $954 but they cut it down to $600 including tax)

Factory tires were Nexen Roadian's .
Sir, I am so hapy for you. Michelin delivers...AGAIN.

I think you got a really great deal, and in the end, i would put money that those tires will give you twice the mileage than the Nexens, plus all the other benefits.

Due to that equation, It dowsnt appear you paid more, per say, but equaled out. Only dofference being is that you spent it before you wanted to.

Like I said, and cant emphasize more: i am happy for you.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your advice as I was thinking of getting the Defenders but your input helped me go with them.

Users who are viewing this thread